JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Literature Coordinator

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2817 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 15/7/2016 at 1:14 PM, jayrtom said:

One question relating to this subject:

How does any literature coordinator around (if there are others) count the tracts during the monthly inventory? 

We have to make an inventory of every entry, leave and stock of every publication. The problem is that,  in the case of the tracts, we always have more than 500 or even 1000... Só,  making an exact inventory seems almost impossible.... Do you make an estimation? Or do you count each and every single one? 

Hi, measure a stack of tracts with a ruler, then use that measure as a sample and then just calculate. For example if one inch or 1 cm is the measure of 100 tracts then 10 cm or 10 inches amounts to 1000 tracts.

On 7/15/2016 at 10:54 AM, Jonathan77 said:

Making an exact count of tracts would be almost impossible, or very time consuming, and not necessary.  My trick is to stack the tracts in lots of 100.  I'll order 800 or 1600 tracts.  I take the pile of tracts, divide it into 2, then again, and again, so I have piles of about 100 tracts.  Then alternatively stack them.   I can then quickly count the 100s and guess the remaining part 100.

My experience is about 10 years old(and therefore quite outdated ) but this is close to what we did. We would get a couple of the older boys from the Congregation to help and then some Saturday afternoon we would actually count all the incoming literature and use a sticky, post it note as a marker or separator and stack them in 90deg off per stack. Depending on how many we had and what they were, we would stack in 25, 50, or 100...and then turn the group or stack of them 90deg to the previous stack...

Congratulations on your assignment,  there is a need for qualified Brothers and it is obvious that you are qualified;  you were assigned. .

Edited by tekmantwo

I do not know if the Spanish forms are different, but on the English form S-29_E for literature inventory it clearly states the measuring amount.  It says 1 inch = 300 tracts.  This is printed on page 2 of the form in the space between Brochures (top) and Tract (bottom) on the page.Tract Count.JPG

3 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I do not know if the Spanish forms are different, but on the English form S-29_E for literature inventory it clearly states the measuring amount.  It says 1 inch = 300 tracts.  This is printed on page 2 of the form in the space between Brochures (top) and Tract (bottom) on the page.Tract Count.JPG

Spanish same.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

Hi Br, Here we measure in centimeters

Captura.PNG

Excelente, Antonio.  Muchas gracias.  Deseo que hablaba Espanol mejor.  That is about as far as I can get in my limited Spanish (sorry I didn't engage the Spanish keyboard).  Br. Leo reminds us of our common goals but different measurements.  Maybe it will be in cubits before long.

Just now, jwhess said:

Excelente, Antonio.  Muchas gracias.  Deseo que hablaba Espanol mejor.  That is about as far as I can get in my limited Spanish (sorry I didn't engage the Spanish keyboard).  Br. Leo reminds us of our common goals but different measurements.  Maybe it will be in cubits before long.

Which cubit though? :scared:

Oh, I'm sure you know more Spanish than that!  Tecate, Corona, er...nachos... :lol2:

On ‎15‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 7:54 PM, Jonathan77 said:

Making an exact count of tracts would be almost impossible, or very time consuming, and not necessary.  My trick is to stack the tracts in lots of 100.  I'll order 800 or 1600 tracts.  I take the pile of tracts, divide it into 2, then again, and again, so I have piles of about 100 tracts.  Then alternatively stack them.   I can then quickly count the 100s and guess the remaining part 100.

I count all tracts exactly. For about 500 tracts it takes me five up to ten minutes. At the literature desk we have a box where the publisher can take folded tracts, from each tract there are 50 in the box. Before meeting, I look how many have gone, fold them and write down how many has gone. When doing the inventure I subtract the gone one from the last stock so I don't have to count all tracts each month. Some months ago we got the tract T-31 (future). Tracts can be ordered in unitys of 400, but we got 438 instead of 400.

15 hours ago, jwhess said:

De nada mi hermano JWHess. With Jehovah`s help you can do it. Are there any spanish speaking persons in your territory? Could you help in a spanish group?. It is very rewarding.

I think I read an article a while ago about why the US mantained the imperial measurement system.

3 hours ago, SteEis said:

I count all tracts exactly. For about 500 tracts it takes me five up to ten minutes. At the literature desk we have a box where the publisher can take folded tracts, from each tract there are 50 in the box. Before meeting, I look how many have gone, fold them and write down how many has gone. When doing the inventure I subtract the gone one from the last stock so I don't have to count all tracts each month. Some months ago we got the tract T-31 (future). Tracts can be ordered in unitys of 400, but we got 438 instead of 400.

That is a nice system brother Stefan, it reminds me of the Book The Man Who Counted :)

Brother Peter

I believe that there is still a written guide for the literature department, and the specific directions for the literature coordinator are all in there.

I know that written guides are easier for some people than others, but in my view the best thing you could do is have an elder review the guide with you. You are fully qualified for the responsibility, but you still need the information in order to carry it out. This would be the case for anyone newly appointed to something like this.

It's been a while since I did the job, but even though I had read the guide I found that over time I forgot some of the points, so it might be good to review it again after doing the job for a while, and whenever you have any questions. 

Jehovah's blessings on your efforts.

Your brother,

Jon