JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hair we go: Humans lost their locks so we could run faster to catch food

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4600 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

another theory...about the transition between ape into man... Hair we go: Humans lost their locks so we could run faster to catch food

50338=2543-article-2036740-0B4634C400000 Swimmers and cyclists have been known to shave their hair to cut milliseconds off their times – now scientists believe our ancestors shed their hair for similar reasons. However, early man needed to go faster to catch his supper, not to win a gold medal, according to Dr David Wilkinson of Liverpool John Moores University and Professor Graeme Ruxton of the University of Glasgow. They used advanced computer modelling to show that our ancestors’ hairy bodies hindered their hunt for food, because they couldn’t sweat efficiently to cool down properly, so they gradually became hairless. This meant that they could run faster for longer and bring home the bacon. The difference between humans, with their lack of body hair, and other mammals has baffled zoologists for decades, but Dr Wilkinson hopes his research, which he describes as a 'very good theory' will help settle the matter. ‘It suggests that although the earliest upright humans may well have walked from place to place or run short distances – perhaps to a tree to escape predators – they could not run long distances to catch their supper. 'Humans are unusually sweaty mammals and our results show just how important sweating rates are in allowing long-distance running in the tropics.’ Dr Wilkinson doesn't think we'll evolve into hairier beings, unless women want us to The idea that we lost our hair to keep cool on the hot African savannah was first proposed in the 1980s by Professor Peter Wheeler, also of Liverpool John Moores, using a series of mathematical models To get a definitive date for when we started becoming smooth skinned, we would need to find one of our ancestors buried in volcanic ash, which is known to preserve hair, he explained. Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2036740/Hair-Why-lost-locks-run-faster-catch-food.html#ixzz1XvzRY0ZE

Hi Sian,

OH BROTHER!! Isn't this funny?! Amazing the silly theories these men come up with, isn't it? They're willing to concoct ANY silly theory just so they won't have to--heaven forbid(!!)--possibly entertain the idea that we were created by an intelligent Creator!

I hadn't heard this one before, but I think it doesn't hold water---I mean I've seen some pretty HAIRY guys--the kind that need a lawn mower run across their chest (or back)---ick! ::o

Thanks for posting!

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

Hi Sian,

OH BROTHER!! Isn't this funny?! Amazing the silly theories these men come up with, isn't it? They're willing to concoct ANY silly theory just so they won't have to--heaven forbid(!!)--possibly entertain the idea that we were created by an intelligent Creator!

I hadn't heard this one before, but I think it doesn't hold water---I mean I've seen some pretty HAIRY guys--the kind that need a lawn mower run across their chest (or back)---ick! ::o

Thanks for posting!

Mr. Musky doesn't look too hairy on the top...::o but I'll bet Mr. Musky shudders every time you head for the garage and start up the lawn mower...:D

Hi Sian,

Thanks for posting!

Mr. Musky doesn't look too hairy on the top...::o but I'll bet Mr. Musky shudders every time you head for the garage and start up the lawn mower...:D

Ha, ha...too funny, Michael! No, thankfully Mr. Musky doesn't need to worry about that!

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

Wouldn't it have made more sense to not 'evolve' so many sweat glands than get them and then have to lose the hair?

After all, it is supposed that things evolve because they convey an advantage; sweat glands to a hairy creature would not be advantageous and therefore selected out by natural selection, wouldn't they? Then there would be no need to lose the hair......

50386=2553-Adam_And_Eve2_1680x1050.jpg now this is how it started... 26 And God went on to say: “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness, and let them have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and the domestic animals and all the earth and every moving animal that is moving upon the earth.” 27 And God proceeded to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them. 28 Further, God blessed them and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth.” Genesis 1:26 - 28

Bears, horses, cheetah's, Kangaroos and so on, all need to be fast and all not bald!

Not yet, but give them another billion years - :lol1: Maybe they will out run their hair - like tall people out grow theirs.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

And people in the world think creationists are weird. I think it's the other way around.

DITTO. It takes more "faith" to believe in evolution then it does to believe in a Creator!

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....