JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Who would go to one of my live shows?

I remember a few years ago a sister at my convention was interviewed. She was a singer and being offered a record deal. She politely declined as she wanted to make Jehovah her focus. But she also wanted to sing. So she ended up with a regular job at a couple of hotels where she performs once or twice a week. She was able to continue pioneering. Sometimes we can compromise without wasting our talent. Performing in cafes sounds like a safe option.

I thought this Video  we had at our meeting a few weeks back and the accompanying meeting part was very pertinent with regards to the points made in this thread. Anyone seeking a career to do with the music industry would do well to prayerfully consider the teaching and encouragement.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

I don't think it was quite clear from Michaels post what his goals were. To me it sounded like he just wants to do some gigs in small cafes to support himself. That's not even bars at night or something like that. Please correct me if I am wrong. I know a lot of brothers who temporarily did some street performing and I can't see the difference. I think some brothers here went into panic mode thinking he is gonna perform on the X-Factor or pursue a record deal.

Maybe Michael can clarify himself :wink:

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Stormswift said:

Yes I get it - I created an Artist name when I was younger, so IF and it was a big IF my art became famous - I did not. I could still be Amanda without peope relating me to the art.

I understand about using another name. . I write for the local newspaper under a pseudonym,  it's just less hassle that way. 

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

On 9/28/2016 at 3:27 AM, MentalProject said:

I thought this Video  we had at our meeting a few weeks back and the accompanying meeting part was very pertinent with regards to the points made in this thread. Anyone seeking a career to do with the music industry would do well to prayerfully consider the teaching and encouragement.

The link leads to something other than what I think Simon intended. The video he is talking about is "Choosing a Career with an Eternal Future"

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

1 hour ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

The link leads to something other than what I think Simon intended. The video he is talking about is "Choosing a Career with an Eternal Future"

That's weird I checked it prior to and after posting and it took me to where you can play or download that video. It still does the same for me with the links now. Thanks for fixing it for me though!

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

On 9/26/2016 at 0:05 PM, Hope said:

Exactly.  I think of a "career" as one's occupation, what you put on the form when it's asked what you do for a living.  I am an executive assistant (secretary).  That is how I earn my living.  I might do other things to earn money (sing, drive for Uber/Lyft) but my training and vocation is as an assistant.  My "job" is the place where I work.  What Johan describes is not even feasible for most - let alone practical... and no -- most people DO do the practical things.  Very often NOT the "best".  Sounds nice, tho! :) 

I'd love to be a regular pioneer one day (I am reg aux now).  However, unless I marry someone who can support me, I will NEVER be able to consider that my "career" - maybe it can be my "vocation"?.... if it came between that and working to support myself, unfortunately, pioneering will have to drop. :(  

Back to topic, however - my being an assistant will NEVER inspire the kind of dangerous joy and commitment becoming a career musician/singer would.  This past Saturday night after a driving shift, I stopped by a monthly singer's "jam session" at a local repertory theater.  Think - karaoke, but with people who can actually sing and an accompanist who can sight read any music put in front of him.  It was an evening of opera singers, theatre singers, nightclub singers singing everything from selections from "Hamilton" to "Tosca"... with a jazz number and Disney tune from me thrown in for good measure.

It was sublime, being surrounded by these supportive artists.  :wub:  I think I can indulge this once a month.  Any more, though.... *sigh*  :unsure:

Yeah but even being a secretary can be dangerous; You have the opposite sex of worldly co workers flirting with you and etc or you eating or going out to lunch with worldly con workers etc... there's spiritual dangers to any job or career... just be careful how you say these things to other witnesses and I'm saying this to everyone in here; I appreaciate everyone's feedback and concern this post was simply to see who would go to one of my shows... Eveyine has there own accounting to Jehovah;

:-)

On 9/28/2016 at 3:57 AM, thegreenjudy said:

I don't think it was quite clear from Michaels post what his goals were. To me it sounded like he just wants to do some gigs in small cafes to support himself. That's not even bars at night or something like that. Please correct me if I am wrong. I know a lot of brothers who temporarily did some street performing and I can't see the difference. I think some brothers here went into panic mode thinking he is gonna perform on the X-Factor or pursue a record deal.

Maybe Michael can clarify himself :wink:

Thank you :-) and your right I'm starting out at cafes like Starbucks my focus is just instrumental acoustic ... As for me and Bob as of our band we would probably end up at bar places but nothing wrong with that... 

On Sunday, October 02, 2016 at 1:27 AM, Michael Schriner said:

Yeah but even being a secretary can be dangerous; You have the opposite sex of worldly co workers flirting with you and etc or you eating or going out to lunch with worldly con workers etc... there's spiritual dangers to any job or career... just be careful how you say these things to other witnesses and I'm saying this to everyone in here; I appreaciate everyone's feedback and concern this post was simply to see who would go to one of my shows... Eveyine has there own accounting to Jehovah;

:-)

Yes I said that, that there are dangers in any job, but in some industries there are bigger risks and the music industry is one of them. Yes we do ...but because we care for our younger ones, and not  knowing their personal circumstances on an online forum, it would be remiss of us not to convey some areas of concern. We are all your spiritual equals, brothers and sisters who care for you very much. I would love you to come and play for us in our home if you are ever in NZ, but a live show? For me that's not my thing. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."