JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

107 year old relationship ended

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2744 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

You should be able to see by the title of the topic that this is about Jehovah's Witnesses leaving Brooklyn. People are catching on that we were a force for good while we were there. The article does well at fending off some of the negative things said about us by some critics.

https://commercialobserver.com/2016/09/the-107-year-relationship-between-the-jehovahs-witnesses-and-brooklyn-is-coming-to-an-end/

Hm yes in parts it was very good. Why would Prince refuse hip surgery though? Many brothers and sisters have hip surgery blood is not even an issue. I think it does smack a little of misinformation but the overall vibe is good.

They are also making out the JW's didn't give back financially to the community, riding on the coattails of Brooklyns success, when in fact, Jehovah's Witnesses are responsible initially for turning parts of Brooklyn around by renovating and upgrading key buildings in the area. No credit was given for this. So really it is Brooklyn who has benefited by Jehovah's high standards not the other way round.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

You should be able to see by the title of the topic that this is about Jehovah's Witnesses leaving Brooklyn. People are catching on that we were a force for good while we were there. The article does well at fending off some of the negative things said about us by some critics.

https://commercialobserver.com/2016/09/the-107-year-relationship-between-the-jehovahs-witnesses-and-brooklyn-is-coming-to-an-end/

Nice article... but I couldn't tell what it was about from the thread title at all!  

Living so far away from Brooklyn, it was an interesting read.  Looks like Jehovah has been really looking after things with the financial windfall to help furthering the world wide work.  And of course, no worldly person is going to see it that way - it's just a financial transaction for them.  A bit of jealousy there perhaps?  But if this wasn't about JW's and was about a consortium buying up property then selling it 100 plus years later, they would have applauded their shrewd real estate purchases.  Obviously over time, real estate goes up.  JW's have kept Brooklyn from becoming slummy - and for that they should be appreciative.

3 hours ago, Hope said:

Nice article... but I couldn't tell what it was about from the thread title at all!  

Yeah. That was my fault. I left out some words in the thread title. I had to get a moderator to fix it for me—after  you looked at the thread.

I proof-read the post after I wrote it. I neglected to proof-read the title. :wall:

(Thank you Musky for the correction.)