Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2044 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Recommended Posts

Question for those who understand Audio/video stuff.

 

I my home theater system I am using 10 year old Av Receiver with decent speakers 

I only play blu-ray discs and the question is :

Will I get better sound if I upgrade my receiver to newer model that supports  the latest Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio surround soundtracks  see receiver here: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/all-tv--home-entertainment/pioneer/pioneer-vsx531-5-1-channel-av-receiver/946445/

 

I am confused ? :confused:  is it worth spending $600 on the new receiver ? :confused:   :headphones:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

Question for those who understand Audio/video stuff.

 

I my home theater system I am using 10 year old Av Receiver with decent speakers 

I only play blu-ray discs and the question is :

Will I get better sound if I upgrade my receiver to newer model that supports  the latest Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio surround soundtracks  see receiver here: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/all-tv--home-entertainment/pioneer/pioneer-vsx531-5-1-channel-av-receiver/946445/

 

I am confused ? :confused:  is it worth spending $600 on the new receiver ? :confused:   :headphones:

 

Probably not, I'm not a AV guy but better if you state how are you currently connecting your blu-ray to your receiver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gregexplore said:

Question for those who understand Audio/video stuff.

 

I my home theater system I am using 10 year old Av Receiver with decent speakers 

I only play blu-ray discs and the question is :

Will I get better sound if I upgrade my receiver to newer model that supports  the latest Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio surround soundtracks  see receiver here: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/all-tv--home-entertainment/pioneer/pioneer-vsx531-5-1-channel-av-receiver/946445/

 

I am confused ? :confused:  is it worth spending $600 on the new receiver ? :confused:   :headphones:

I don't have time to check right now but one thing I know is if your like me you will notice the difference. The thing is nobody else will. They will smile and nod their heads with blank stares when you describe the improvement.:D

 

What system do you have just now?

Edited by Mykyl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

I don't have time to check right now but one thing I know is if your like me you will notice the difference. The thing is nobody else will. They will smile and nod their heads with blank stares when you describe the improvement.:D

 

What system do you have just now?

 

For audio old receiver pioneer with Wharfedale speakers diamond 230 ? etc... (UK speakers LOL), blue ray player etc

Like I said mainly I play blu-ray movies on the system

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are happy with the sound you have now, then I would ask you,  why do you want to change ?  If there is something you are wanting to improve, or you want to see if the new formats are worth the money,  then try to find a dealer who will allow you to demo a new receiver at home.  Audio equipment is very room dependent, so it will sound different in a shop to your home.  A good dealer will understand that.

My own view is that you would most likely hear an improvement, but whether it is worth the money you would spend is something only you can answer.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bohemian said:

If you are happy with the sound you have now, then I would ask you,  why do you want to change ?  If there is something you are wanting to improve, or you want to see if the new formats are worth the money,  then try to find a dealer who will allow you to demo a new receiver at home.  Audio equipment is very room dependent, so it will sound different in a shop to your home.  A good dealer will understand that.

My own view is that you would most likely hear an improvement, but whether it is worth the money you would spend is something only you can answer.

 

Yeah, that's the problem how much I will gain ? Facing old dilemma .. 

I am kind of happy with the sound but playing blu-ray's only there is a lot of sound that probably my old receiver is not picking up, but again is it worth it ? Brrrrr

Link to comment
Share on other sites

May I ask, what model Pioneer receiver have you now, and what have you considered for improvement?  Pioneer receivers are very good.  I recently changed from a Pioneer to a new Denon and the sound is an improvement although the Pioneer had a little more 'oomph' in the presentation, which I miss a little if I am honest!

There were aspects of the Denon which I wanted (hdmi switching etc) and a Pioneer with the same features that I wanted was much more expensive. (I got a very good deal on the Denon!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bohemian said:

May I ask, what model Pioneer receiver have you now, and what have you considered for improvement?  Pioneer receivers are very good.  I recently changed from a Pioneer to a new Denon and the sound is an improvement although the Pioneer had a little more 'oomph' in the presentation, which I miss a little if I am honest!

There were aspects of the Denon which I wanted (hdmi switching etc) and a Pioneer with the same features that I wanted was much more expensive. (I got a very good deal on the Denon!)

I have ancient  VSX_D512 and I am thinking of Pioneer VSX-430-K  ($410) or VSX531 $600.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just read reviews on the VSX 430K and it looks to be a very good piece of kit for the money.  If it has the features you want, then it is a good buy. Again, trust your ears!

The Denon I bought I could return if I was not satisfied with its sound in my room.

I changed a few things though at the same time!  New 4k tv and new blu-ray player - but I ought to have got a 4k player!  

 

You should get a good return on your old receiver if you put it on ebay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bohemian said:

I just read reviews on the VSX 430K and it looks to be a very good piece of kit for the money.  If it has the features you want, then it is a good buy. Again, trust your ears!

The Denon I bought I could return if I was not satisfied with its sound in my room.

I changed a few things though at the same time!  New 4k tv and new blu-ray player - but I ought to have got a 4k player!  

 

You should get a good return on your old receiver if you put it on ebay.

I can get VSX 430K for $400 with free delivery looks then like a bargain ...  

Do u get enough content for 4K ? Blu Ray DVDs are not expensive in Australia but 4K dvd are 3 times the price 

blu Ray format is the sweet spot at the moment 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gregexplore said:

I can get VSX 430K for $400 with free delivery looks then like a bargain ...  

Do u get enough content for 4K ? Blu Ray DVDs are not expensive in Australia but 4K dvd are 3 times the price 

blu Ray format is the sweet spot at the moment 

Not much content in 4K at the moment, but I feel that will improve.  The upscaling seems to work OK.  I have only just gone up to blu-ray and bought a couple of discs from a cheap site in the UK. 

The surround on the Denon is very good too.

 

What centre speaker do you use, and sub?  Are they all Wharfedale Diamonds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You talk about being "fussy" about sound - I am ver fussy over my hifi, less so over A/V.  The hifi is in the lounge, purely for listening.  The A/V is in the bedroom!  Wall-mounted TV and Dynaudio speakers apart from sub which is a cheap Tannoy.  It does what I want.

I am more into listening to music, my wife is the film buff!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bohemian said:

Not much content in 4K at the moment, but I feel that will improve.  The upscaling seems to work OK.  I have only just gone up to blu-ray and bought a couple of discs from a cheap site in the UK. 

The surround on the Denon is very good too.

 

What centre speaker do you use, and sub?  Are they all Wharfedale Diamonds?

I only use Wharfedale speakers but do not have centre speaker yet due to lack of physical space (don't know where put it) Also I have read confusing comments about the lack of benefits in relation to the centre speaker. If 4 corners of the room are covered will centre speaker play a vital role ?

(I only and only like Wharfedale brand)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

I only use Wharfedale speakers but do not have centre speaker yet due to lack of physical space (don't know where put it) Also I have read confusing comments about the lack of benefits in relation to the centre speaker. If 4 corners of the room are covered will centre speaker play a vital role ?

(I only and only like Wharfedale brand)

If you watch a lot of films, the centre channel does most of the dialogue, so the main speakers don't have to cope with that as well the music.  It makes for a clearer sound.  I would seriously try one. It makes a big difference.  The diamond 220C would be the model to integrate with your other speakers. In UK you can get it for £199. 

http://www.richersounds.com/product/centre-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-220c/whar-diam-220c-blk

how that compares with Australia I dont know.

 

Expensive hobby, this!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally agree about the centre speaker, often overlooked but really important. I've just upgraded mine, picked up a nice Cambridge one off eBay cost me about £45 cost about £225 new. Less risky  getting these second hand as they are far less prone to being abused and overloaded.

 

rb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2016 at 8:02 AM, bohemian said:

If you watch a lot of films, the centre channel does most of the dialogue, so the main speakers don't have to cope with that as well the music.  It makes for a clearer sound.  I would seriously try one. It makes a big difference.  The diamond 220C would be the model to integrate with your other speakers. In UK you can get it for £199. 

http://www.richersounds.com/product/centre-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-220c/whar-diam-220c-blk

how that compares with Australia I dont know.

 

Expensive hobby, this!

It's around $449 Down Under,   I will be broke soon LOL :headphones:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 22.1.2 (changelog)