JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Daylight Savings Time Bites the Dust Tonight

In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Daylight Savings Time ends at midnight tonight, November 5th.

We are all asked to "fall back" by turning our clocks back one hour before going to bed.

By Laura Grant, Claremont McKenna College

Today the sun is shining during my commute home from work. But this weekend, public service announcements will remind us to “fall back,” ending daylight saving time (DST) by setting our clocks an hour earlier on Sunday, November 6. On November 7, many of us will commute home in the dark.

This semiannual ritual shifts our rhythms and temporarily makes us groggy at times when we normally feel alert. Moreover, many Americans are confused about why we spring forward to DST in March and fall back in November, and whether it is worth the trouble.

The practice of resetting clocks is not designed for farmers, whose plows follow the sun regardless of what time clocks say it is. Yet many people continue to believe that farmers benefit, including lawmakers during recent debates over changing California DST laws. Massachusetts is also studying whether to abandon DST.

Changing our clocks does not create extra daylight. DST simply shifts when the sun rises and sets relative to our society’s regular schedule and routines. The key question, then, is how people respond to this enforced shift in natural lighting. Most people have to be at work at a certain time – say, 8:30 a.m. – and if that time comes an hour earlier, they simply get up an hour earlier. The effect on society is another question, and there, the research shows DST is more burden than boon.

No energy savings

Benjamin Franklin was one of the first thinkers to endorse the idea of making better use of daylight. Although he lived well before the invention of light bulbs, Franklin observed that people who slept past sunrise wasted more candles later in the evening. He also whimsically suggested the first policy fixes to encourage energy conservation: firing cannons at dawn as public alarm clocks and fining homeowners who put up window shutters.

To this day, our laws equate daylight saving with energy conservation. However, recent research suggests that DST actually increases energy use.

Click link to read full article:

http://earthsky.org/human-world/daylight-savings-time-worth-the-trouble

Some always forget and show up at the Hall an hour early...or an hour late...depending on the season. 

My husband and I both hate the clock changing.  Ralph up a rubber chicken.gif

The cows hated it even more than we did.  My husband would

gradually introduce them to the hour difference, so their full udders wouldn't cause so much discomfort.^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

We use our cell phones for our morning wake up alarms and since the cell phones update automatically we don't really notice a difference. ..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

We use our cell phones for our morning wake up alarms and since the cell phones update automatically we don't really notice a difference. ..

We do too..one night after she went to sleep I set both of our phones and both of our tablets for the same time.  I am usually awake before the alarm so I was out of the room when they went off...it was funny. :whistling::shrugs:

27 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

We do too..one night after she went to sleep I set both of our phones and both of our tablets for the same time.  I am usually awake before the alarm so I was out of the room when they went off...it was funny. :whistling::shrugs:

..alarming!....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Tock about cruel.^_^

groan.....that ones   winding up  on the floor. ...

5 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, Daylight Savings Time ends at midnight tonight, November 5th.

We are all asked to "fall back" by turning our clocks back one hour before going to bed.

Some always forget and show up at the Hall an hour early...or an hour late...depending on the season. 

My husband and I both hate the clock changing.  Ralph up a rubber chicken.gif

The cows hated it even more than we did.  My husband would

gradually introduce them to the hour difference, so their full udders wouldn't cause so much discomfort.^_^

So, are you gonna get up at 2am and change them, or ya gonna make hubby do it?

Denise is already in bed, I guess I'll have to stay up...

(Sorry,  I just saw it says low noon, you already did it) I have 2 hours to go...

Edited by tekmantwo

More obfuscation

We have company, and they have a time they have to answer to, and for a bit, every one was trying to figure out what the real time is. We have atomic clocks, and our devises. I trusted the devises. Some atomic clocks changed, and some didn't. We have one phone that we have to change by hand. I use that one to figure out the real time.

The time change? I love it. I am not a morning person. This is natural. I will be so glad when they don't mess with time anymore.

Just now, Miss Bea said:

We have company, and they have a time they have to answer to, and for a bit, every one was trying to figure out what the real time is. We have atomic clocks, and our devises. I trusted the devises. Some atomic clocks changed, and some didn't. We have one clock  that we have to change by hand. I use that one to figure out the real time.

The time change? I love it. I am not a morning person. This is natural. I will be so glad when they don't mess with time anymore.

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!