JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2623 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hello brothers and sisters. I just would like to share a channel on YouTube that I've figured out in the last month which have a lot of old songs, since the first songbook: "Poems and Hymns of Millennial Dawn"!

There are some old songs where we can hear a duet, it's such amazing! I can't stop listening to them!!! An example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzcQVTS7wl4

This channel is a playground for those who loves listening to these old songs. I hope all you enjoy it. 

Kingdom Melodies History: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJPX1Sz3Q8eBMHz5_eGKoQ

Edited by Ivine

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life nor angels nor governments nor things now here nor things to come now powers nor height nor depth nor any other creation will be able to separate us from God's love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38,39

I have a question: Somebody knows why the song "Our King is Marching On" (1905, Hymns of Millennial Dawn) it was based on the famous and popular song "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"?

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life nor angels nor governments nor things now here nor things to come now powers nor height nor depth nor any other creation will be able to separate us from God's love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38,39

6 hours ago, Ivine said:

I have a question: Somebody knows why the song "Our King is Marching On" (1905, Hymns of Millennial Dawn) it was based on the famous and popular song "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"?

Many of our early songs were based on either secular or religious music of the day. Lyrics were changed to conform to our understanding at the time. "Our King is Marching On" was a remake of "John Brown's Body". We didn't change the name, as Julia Ward Howe did, just some of the lyrics. Frankly I love this song when played in the context of our early hymn book.  

I truly believe "My eyes have seen the glory of the coming of my Lord...." but it wasn't in the "light of a hundred circling campfires" or Being "born in the beauty of the lilies ... across the sea...."

It is one of those tunes that like some Christmas carols that once it starts inside your head it is hard to shut off, Similar to Pogo's "Deck the halls with Boston Charley, Walla Walla Wash and Kalamazoo..." 

Humor aside you will find most of our early hymns were actually reworked (and some were not reworked) church hymns of the day.

Edited by Old

I mistakenly wrote "Onward Christian Soldiers" instead of our "Our King is marching on"

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Another way of saying it:  This was a popular song BEFORE it became the "Battle Hymn of the Republic".  We were accused of "Nazism" because one of our songs was based on a Wagner tune.  Nazi Germany chose this music for their national anthem (but we had been using the music for decades prior to that).

For this reason I love all my brothers wideworld... They're so smart!!! Thank you so much for these informations.

• 3 months later...
On 8/11/2016 at 8:19 PM, jwhess said:

Another way of saying it:  This was a popular song BEFORE it became the "Battle Hymn of the Republic".  We were accused of "Nazism" because one of our songs was based on a Wagner tune.  Nazi Germany chose this music for their national anthem (but we had been using the music for decades prior to that).

Actually you are talking about song 58 "Zion's Glorious Hope" (in the songbook called  "Hymns of the Millennial Dawn)and it was the music of Josef Haydn  . Bible Students had it in their songbook  since 1905 and later it was adopted from the Nazi as the german national song

Brothers loved singing it (with different lyrics of course, because Nazi Germans would never use a hymn that praised Zion!) in conventions. This hymn was used by other denominations too. Jehovah's Witnesses used it till 1944

You can listen to the hymn here

Edited by JWpublisher

On 8/11/2016 at 4:28 AM, Ivine said:

Hello brothers and sisters. I just would like to share a channel on YouTube that I've figured out in the last month which have a lot of old songs, since the first songbook: "Poems and Hymns of Millennial Dawn"!

There are some old songs where we can hear a duet, it's such amazing! I can't stop listening to them!!! An example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzcQVTS7wl4

This channel is a playground for those who loves listening to these old songs. I hope all you enjoy it. 

Kingdom Melodies History: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJPX1Sz3Q8eBMHz5_eGKoQ

I love listening to the older songs and hymns of our songbooks as well. They are absolutely beautiful. Did you know that the first link you have is the song used in the Photodrama of Creation?