JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Letters to Russia: False report

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2559 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Times have changed since this experience but I feel the point is worth sharing.

While living in Michigan, we attended a Circuit assembly with brothers from nearby Indiana.  This was during the first President Bush was in office with Vice President Dan Quayle. 

A woman was crying uncontrollably in a restaurant and no one would come near her. Finally one of our Sisters came over to her table and said “I am sorry you’re in so much pain, but one day soon Jehovah God will remove all the pain and hurt we experience."

The woman stopped crying, got her composure together and left without saying a word to the Sister who consoled her.  A couple weeks later their paths would cross again.

Our Sister was in the street work when a big black town car stops. A woman all nicely dressed gets out and approaches our Sister. "Do you remember me?" she asks. Our Sister says "I am not sure". "I was the woman in the restaurant crying out of control and you were the only one that consoled me. I was having a very, very bad day and your kindness helped me."

She then explained that she was part of Vice President Dan Quayle's administration and the White House was very well aware of the work of Jehovah's Witnesses. They were a highly respected  group for example that can get people to cooperate just with the wave of a hand at a large gathering. She mentioned how there is so much cooperation. She wanted to thank our Sister again for her kindness. 

My point? The government knows us very well. Hard to believe that was almost 30 years ago!

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

2 minutes ago, DancesWithWife said:

Photo courtesy of Ministry Ideaz on Facebook

Hitler letter.jpg

Uh...yeah...we're a little more tactful now aren't we?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 3/29/2017 at 1:33 PM, Tortuga said:

I thought it might be a good idea to have a spot where we can post false or questionable reports about the letter campaign. 

If you receive an unverified report, please post it here and hopefully someone will be able to verify it's source before it is shared.

I hope to keep this thread just about unverified reports and not clutter it with other information yet...>:D<

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Unverified reports you want? Then unverified report you shall get my brother :

A friend just confirmed this message as accurate. She received it from sources at Bethel.

This is what she wrote...

"Just heard from a Bethelite . She said Brother Sanderson gave a talk to their department & mentioned that as he spoke Russia suspended our work there on Saturday. They will have 5 hours to make a defense. Members of Governing Body & legal will be there. Asked that everyone pray for them.
Let the friends know so they can also pray."

This has not been confirmed!

I received last night and checked my sources but it could not be confirmed... I was told I could share last night but I refrained until checking... And received a recant this morning...

On 3/29/2017 at 1:37 PM, Tortuga said:

From Brother  Walker:

This image has been making the rounds on Instagram. It has since been exposed as a fake.

58db8425e226d_FakePics.jpg.51a0bfa19f7176c5ea2c5621c895f04d.jpg

I quote directly from one of the JW channels on Instagram:

And while I'm on the subject: A word of warning to brothers following the campaign on Instagram. Opponents have figured out some of the hashtags. You'll find very anti-jw stuff mixed in with all our brothers posting about the Campaign.

This is too funny.  3 days ago a friend of mine who is totally new to social media and even texting with pictures since he just upgraded from a flip phone to an iphone sent me that picture.  I pointed out that there were at least 3 things wrong with that picture that made it not only unreliable but really not accurate.  All of the things that stand out have already been discussed here, but it really shows you how fast things can spread.  I pointed out the United States boxes, and the red envelopes mentioning that it looked like a stock photo from around the holidays, that and it says a sister from Russia sent it, plus I looked up the Instagram user and after some digging around discovered that the user dropped off a couple of letters at the end of their account name, not sure what that's all about.  Anyway just be careful and lets keep in mind the article in recent months that asked the question are we ones that have to be the first to send information even before making sure its legitimate?  I tend to error on the side of caution and just let stuff go, its better to be safe than sorry.  One final thought, please friends, be super cautious about any reports or even YouTube media or individual users that are posting, more than half are either apostate like comments or downright just mean people.  Ain't nobody got time for that. :)  Don't get me started on "the fake news!  LOL

5 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

Russia suspended our work there on Saturday.

Isn't it Friday in Russia?

Just now, Tortuga said:

Isn't it Friday in Russia?

Some parts of Russia are in the same time zone as New Zealand, you'd have to ask Victoria.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Just now, Stormswift said:

Some parts of Russia are in the same time zone as New Zealand, you'd have to ask Victoria.

Its Friday in Moscow :)

On 3/29/2017 at 6:19 PM, Omo_Yeme said:

opposers/apostates/just-plain-jwhaters are taking it upon themselves to send their own batch of letters to Russia in "support" of the ban!!  

We always knew this would happen. It is the Edomites in Psalm 137. It is nothing new.

though our people are often indiscreet on social media, the invitation to write is posted first on jw.org. It is a public site, and you can be sure opposers are on top of it. Of course some will write letters in support of the ban.

But the ones who do write will look like the losers that they are. After all,  our interest in the situation is obvious. But what is theirs? Are they presenting themselves as Putin's benefactors, looking out only for his best interests? Why have they never written before? Weren't they last week part of the general world calling him (in the U.S) a thug and a murderer?

Edited by TrueTomHarley

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

6 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

After all,  our interest in the situation is obvious. But what is theirs? Are they presenting themselves as Putin's benefactors, looking out only for his best interests? Why have they never written before? Weren't they last week part of the general world calling him (in the U.S) a thug and a murderer?

Brilliant Tom!  They should just go away and start their own letter-writing campaign to someone who gives a darn. Their only agenda is to discredit Jehovah's servants, and that suits us fine.  We know who they are really up against.  In the meantime.....we got lots of good things to keep us busy and a lovely future to look forward to.  And their future?  Hmmmmm.....

Brilliant Tom!  They should just go away and start their own letter-writing campaign to someone who gives a darn. Their only agenda is to discredit Jehovah's servants, and that suits us fine.  We know who they are really up against.  In the meantime.....we got lots of good things to keep us busy and a lovely future to look forward to.  And their future?  Hmmmmm.....

I feel like most of our letters will not be read. Probably neither will opposer letters. But theirs will just add to the volume of mail going in to Russia. :)

On 3/31/2017 at 5:49 AM, DonnaR said:

I feel like most of our letters will not be read. Probably neither will opposer letters. But theirs will just add to the volume of mail going in to Russia. :)

A deceiving president would pick out the opposers letters to read and show on tv,  show picture of stack of all letters and claim it is all letters of ones that oppose us.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

There is a rumor that the persecution in Russia has already started. That homes being searched and brothers imprisoned.  These rumors are false. None of our brothers in Russia is in jail at the moment.  Everything is "fine". A brother from the german branch commented that these rumors are spread by apostates who try to unsettle gods people.  

Edited by juliansan

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:46 PM, shali said:

Personally, I don't see a problem with "haters" sending letters - no matter how you slice it, our volume of letters will far exceed the volume of their letters, to a ridiculous degree.  Plus with perhaps 10's of millions of letters coming in, how many do you think will really get read before April 5th?  Jehovah can direct it so that those letters from  apostates and haters will be overlooked or ignored all together.  I don't feel they are a threat at all to what we are doing - more like a bug buzzing around your head - annoying.

And the "haters" will not be news to Russia, right? They will add to the volume, as Shali said, and probably won't get read just as most of ours won't, but in the meantime, Russia, the UN and every other country in the world will be watching--We won't be banned in Russia without a worldwide, very public audience. This is just the attention the situation needs.

Edited by JudyO

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

9 minutes ago, JudyO said:

And the "haters" will not be news to Russia, right? They will add to the volume, as Shali said, and probably won't get read just as most of ours won't, but in the meantime, Russia, the UN and every other country in the world will be watching--We won't be banned in Russia without a worldwide, very public audience. This is just the attention the situation needs.

I don't get why they haven't clicked to that ... they aren't going to sort through the mail and separate their letters from ours ... maybe I do KNOW why they haven't clicked - Jehovah isn't with them.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

There is a picture circulating that appears to show letters that a Russian Embassy in Colombia returned to the sender because it was from Jehovah's Witnesses. It was reported that all Russian Embassies have been instructed to return letters from Jehovah's Witnesses.

The picture and report have not been confirmed yet.

There is a single report that a country allied with Russia has already seized the local Branch's financial assets.

That report has not been confirmed yet.

There is a video compilation that appears to misrepresent a group of singers in front of a building, the source and intent of the video is not clear. The video may have been made to encourage us but it does appear to misrepresent one of the video clips included in the compilation.