JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Beards and hair shorn in Amish-on-Amish attacks

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4579 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Police in the US state of Ohio are investigating a rare violent feud in the Amish community, in which members have had beards and hair cut off.

Spiritual differences were said to be behind the attacks on more than half a dozen men and women, said police.

The investigation is being hampered by Amish reluctance to seek police help.

The tiny American Christian group, who call themselves the Plain People, generally shun modern conveniences such as electricity, televisions and cars.

Amish people rejected by the mainstream community are suspected of having carried out the attacks.

'Extremely rare'

Over the past three weeks, at least six men and women have been assaulted in four different counties, losing their beards or, in the case of the women, clumps of their hair.

The victims have included a 13-year-old girl and a 74-year-old man.

The BBC's Paul Adams in Washington says one man was dragged from his home by the beard before his attackers tried to cut it off.

In religiously conservative Amish communities, women do not cut their hair and men grow beards only after they marry.

The attacks appear to target cherished symbols of Amish identity, our correspondent says.

He says that what makes them so baffling is that the attacks have been carried out by fellow Amish, apparently members of a particular clan from the town of Bergholz in rural eastern Ohio.

full article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15219225

follow up

Four arrested over hair and beard attacks on Ohio Amish

Police in the US state of Ohio have arrested four men suspected of assaulting a 74-year-old member of the Amish community.

He is one of several Amish people in the state who have had their hair and beards forcibly removed in apparent efforts to humiliate them.

Jefferson County Sheriff Fred Abdallah said two more people were being sought.

Suspicion has fallen on a breakaway Amish group rejected by the mainstream community.

The Amish, who call themselves the Plain People, generally shun modern conveniences such as electricity, televisions and cars.

The 74-year-old man was attacked at his home in Holmes County on Tuesday night.

He says what makes the attacks so baffling is that they have been carried out by fellow Amish, apparently members of a particular clan from the town of Bergholz in rural eastern Ohio.

The feud is thought to involve 18 Amish families, most of whom are said to be related.

Officials have said investigations were being hampered by Amish reluctance to seek police help.

full article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15231033

It's interesting that we here in the US hear this news from the UK.....I haven't heard a word about this on the US news! Thanks...

I didn't see it on TV news, but it was on a couple of internet based sites that carry more diverse news, the Drudgereport, for one.

I think the correct term would be SHORN:touche:

Adjective

1. Having the hair or wool cut or clipped off as if with shears or clippers.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

A drive by shaving?!?!?!?!? now i've heard everything ' date=' what is this world comming to?............oh yea ..........it's end![/quote'] clop clop clop clop -- clip clip clip clip -- clop clop clop clop

56420=2958-smiley-laughing.gif

Adjective

fleece

Noun

1. Outer coat of especially sheep and yaks.

2. A soft bulky fabric with deep pile; used chiefly for clothing.

3. Tanned skin of a sheep with the fleece left on; used for clothing.

4. The wool of a sheep or similar animal.

Verb

1. Shear the wool from.

2. Rip off; ask an unreasonable price.

The Amish are not sheep.

{{ Bigoted statement removed due to clicks on the Report button from community members.

While it was just a joke, let's remember to play nice, Y'all - Bob }}

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I think either term would work, "Shorn" or how you end up after you are shorn. "Fleeced" LOL

I have always used fleeced". My spell-checker doesn't approve of shorn. :)

Actually you are correct and my spell checker agrees with you too. LOL

Just a little clipping...

*** w99 2/1 p. 4 The Price of Pride—How High? ***

David sent messengers to comfort Hanun over the loss of his father. But Hanun, convinced by his princes that this was merely a subterfuge on David’s part to spy out the city, dishonored David’s servants by shaving off half their beards and cutting their garments in half to their buttocks and then sent them away.” Regarding this incident, Barclay observes: “That treatment was hubris. It was insult, outrage, public humiliation all combined.”—2 Samuel 10:1-5.

I think you all have it now. Shorn and sheared mean the same thing. In regard a sheep, one would shear the fleece and after it is shorn/sheared, one could say that the sheep is fleeced.

As a kid, we sheared no less that 50 sheep every year and took the fleece to market. The fleeced sheep were always cold and bleeding because the bug bites and the engorged bugs would get caught in the clippers. A sheep shearer could shear a sheep in only a few minutes and was exciting to watch, as a kid. We always waited for warm weather before shearing the sheep because the fleeced sheep had no other way to stay warm and a snot nosed sheep is really disgusting to take care of.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

A drive by shaving?!?!?!?!? now i've heard everything , what is this world comming to?............oh yea ..........it's end!

:D theyre never gonna get me.... just see how fast this fatman with bad knees will run when it comes down to protecting my face fuzz!:bringiton:

A drive by shaving?!?!?!?!? now i've heard everything ' date=' what is this world comming to?............oh yea ..........it's end![/quote'] :D theyre never gonna get me.... just see how fast this fatman with bad knees will run when it comes down to protecting my face fuzz!:bringiton:
Me too, leave my mustache alone.

56525=2965-mustache1.gif

The fleeced sheep were always cold and bleeding because the bug bites and the engorged bugs would get caught in the clippers. A sheep shearer could shear a sheep in only a few minutes and was exciting to watch' date=' as a kid. We always waited for warm weather before shearing the sheep because the fleeced sheep had no other way to stay warm and a snot nosed sheep is really disgusting to take care of.[/quote'] Poor lil sheep....:cry:

56536=2966-Sheep.jpg

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

Adjective

fleece

Noun

1. Outer coat of especially sheep and yaks.

2. A soft bulky fabric with deep pile; used chiefly for clothing.

3. Tanned skin of a sheep with the fleece left on; used for clothing.

4. The wool of a sheep or similar animal.

Verb

1. Shear the wool from.

2. Rip off; ask an unreasonable price.

The Amish are not sheep.

{{ Bigoted statement removed due to clicks on the Report button from community members.

While it was just a joke, let's remember to play nice, Y'all - Bob }}

Just wanted to apologize for my statement. You are right it was not nice. I didn't mean it in a bad way, it was something I had heard someone else say but I didn't mean it to be mean. It was a joke. Please accept my apology.:crackwhip: