JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Trump Prepares Order On Religious Liberty

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2543 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Sneaky... If thats true they could pretend to be trying to help people, then when those who oppose it start causing major trouble and protesting, do a quick reversal and ban religious rights...Sounds like Satan, angel of light one minute-evil disgusting demon the next... 

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

4 hours ago, zoebarry said:

Oh, this could open a whole new can of worms!!!

link to Yahoo article

NASHVILLE — As evangelicals gathered here last week, expectations were high about the upcoming announcement of an administration executive order on religious liberty. But so were anxieties.

Christian author Rod Dreher made no effort to hide his skepticism about President Trump. “I don’t think he cares about the thing that matters most to us, and that is religious liberty,” Dreher said from the stage.

The marriage of evangelicals to Trump, Dreher added, will not end well. “I think it’s going to be a bitter harvest for us,” he said.

No one seems to know what Trump’s executive order will say, because it has been so closely held by Vice President Mike Pence and a few aides. A draft version that was leaked to the Nation magazine soon after the inauguration was broadly worded to create  “wholesale exemptions [from anti-discrimination statutes] for people and organizations who claim religious or moral objections to same-sex marriage, premarital sex, abortion, and trans identity,” according to the magazine.

But there is reason for religious conservatives — including Pence, a deeply conservative Christian — to worry about how the final version will read. The president’s daughter Ivanka and his son-in-law Jared Kushner are more aligned with gay, lesbian and transgender groups on the issue. In fact, some observers believe the leak to the Nation was orchestrated by someone in Jared and Ivanka’s orbit to sabotage the process

“The Jared and Ivanka thing, that’s real,” said one congressional aide.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Castle politics...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Castle politics...

Oops, I meant Palace Intrigue...

I knew that didn't sound right....:eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

50 minutes ago, JW2017 said:

So when do we find out what Trump's going to say or do for sure?

Not until he does it. He seems to change his mind from minute to minute.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

USA Today: It would also ease IRS enforcement of the so-called Johnson Amendment, which says tax-exempt religious organizations cannot participate in political activity. While only Congress can formally do away with the law, this will pave the way for churches and other religious leaders to speak about politics and endorse candidates without worrying about losing their tax-exempt status.

So, it makes it easier for the harlot to ride the beast in public?

It seems that it will also allow the religious leaders to join the battle lines between the religious groups and the civil rights activists, creating more iron and clay situations...

There was also a video I believe yesterday? (sorry, bad memory) that had him proposing religious freedom between Palestine & Israel.  I had to facepalm because someone created a video on Facebook with big words saying, "PROPHECY ALERT" because he mentioned peace and security for religious freedom. Obviously the video was aimed at the 2 mentioned countries, not the whole world, plus Babylon the great has not yet fallen. I just wish some of our brothers/sisters would stop and think before spreading headlines. Maybe we need a TV.JW broadcast specifically related to misuse of social media?

1 minute ago, lovejoypeace said:

I just wish some of our brothers/sisters would stop and think before spreading headlines. Maybe we need a TV.JW broadcast specifically related to misuse of social media?

:thumbsup:

I think it would make a great Local Needs too...

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/03/politics/trump-religious-liberty-executive-order/index.html

It looks like Trump went in a different direction than first planned. Sounds like he's wanting to blur the fine lining between religion and politics buy allowing church leaders to preach politics from the pulpit! :confused: Okay That's scary! Just another way for Satan to confuse a bunch of people...

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

This will allow scientology, atheist organizations, etc - ANY who get religious exemptions to join a political cause much more vocally than before without fear of loosing their tax exempt status.

Yeah, that will "bigly" blow up in the conservatives faces.

The order released Thursday instead included a blanket statement that “it is the policy of the administration to protect and vigorously promote religious liberty.”

Trump said he would direct the Justice Department to develop rules to guide that process.

While Trump’s action was applauded by many in the Rose Garden, some religious groups criticized him for what they characterized as a vague directive that didn’t live up to his campaign rhetoric.

“We strongly encourage the president to see his campaign promise through to completion and to ensure that all Americans — no matter where they live or what their occupation is — enjoy the freedom to peacefully live and work consistent with their convictions without fear of government punishment,” said Gregory S. Baylor, senior counsel for the pro-faith group Alliance Defending Freedom.

Soon .....

12 minutes ago, trottigy said:

This will allow scientology, atheist organizations, etc - ANY who get religious exemptions to join a political cause much more vocally than before without fear of loosing their tax exempt status.

It gives the conservative groups the right to fight back against the gay right movements without being financially penalized. Yeah, letting more people join the high profile civil right fights is always a good idea...:eek:

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

:thumbsup:

I think it would make a great Local Needs too...

We had a Local Needs part this Tuesday that  centered on just that topic. "Keeping up with the  celestial chariot", not going ahead or behind it. (My addition)

I thought the entire post #13 with the sisters comment in it would have shown up but it didn't.  That's the part our local needs part was about,  spreading news that haven't come from the  FDS. 

Edited by loving life

Correction

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

The president has been a vocal opponent of the Johnson Amendment, the provision in the tax code that bans churches and other houses of worship from campaigning for political candidates if they want to keep their tax-exempt status. His latest executive order was meant to undermine that tax law so that clergy can endorse candidates from the pulpit without fear of repercussions.

But the vast majority of clergy, even among the evangelical Christians whose votes Trump relied on, had never objected to the Johnson Amendment. In February, 89 percent of evangelical leaders said in a National Association of Evangelicals poll that they do not think pastors should endorse politicians from the pulpit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/05/06/trump-told-clergy-say-what-you-want-to-say-many-contend-they-were-already-doing-that/?utm_term=.073aaa8a2aaa

Soon .....

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, lovejoypeace said:

There was also a video I believe yesterday? (sorry, bad memory) that had him proposing religious freedom between Palestine & Israel.  I had to facepalm because someone created a video on Facebook with big words saying, "PROPHECY ALERT" because he mentioned peace and security for religious freedom. Obviously the video was aimed at the 2 mentioned countries, not the whole world, plus Babylon the great has not yet fallen. I just wish some of our brothers/sisters would stop and think before spreading headlines. Maybe we need a TV.JW broadcast specifically related to misuse of social media?

I think many of the friends get excited when certain events unfold. We often do not understand how a prophecy is fulfilled until it after it occurs. The same will be true with the cry for Peace and Security. The exclamation for peace and security has little to do with the world in general crying for peace and security, but God's chosen people not becoming distracted if we consider the context of 1 Thessalonians 5:1-5.

First let's consider this upcoming week's bible reading in Jeremiah 37:11. It says there that the Chaldeans had withdrawn from the city. In chapter 34:21 Jehovah reminds his people that their relative peace will be short lived because Babylon would come and finish what they started. The Jews were relying on Egypt to rescue them. It's not surprising that King Zedekiah at the time Jeremiah was put in the Courtyard of the Guard said "Why do you prophecy like this?" (Jeremiah 32:3) Zedekiah was sleeping spiritually and did not discern that it was Jehovah's will to punish his people and he could not escape the inevitable.

Fast forward to the first century. The same sense of false security overtook the Jews after 66 C.E. when Rome had Jerusalem surrounded.  We have a beautiful movie that depicts what happens when you fail to trust in Jehovah. It's called Walk By Faith Not By Sight. If you haven't guessed it by now, Paul's warning at 1 Thessalonians 5:1-5 also corresponds to Jesus' warning at Luke 21:20-22. Referring to the Jew's heart condition notice that Luke 19:44 says "you did not discern the time of your being inspected." Paul and Jesus both were encouraging the brothers to remain alert to Jehovah's Day that took place in 70 C.E. (Paul was writing to anointed Christians who are no longer living today so obviously he wasn't warning them of a future day in our time because it would be of no benefit to them.)

So how does this relate to our time?  The world in general is constantly deceiving itself in thinking that true peace is attainable, but likewise we as Christians, could be lulled into saying "Peace and Security!" in our imagination if we fail to discern the times we are living in. We need to simplify our lives, pray, attend meetings, study the bible, and preach the good news. Paul told the Thessalonian brothers that they are not in the dark as to be overtaken by that day. However, none of them were immune to the distractions of the world and neither are we. The Jews in the first century suffered for not leaving the city and likewise so did any Christian. The same is true for Jehovah's Day that is coming soon. The world in general will suffer if they do not respond to the good news, but so will any Christian who does not keep on the watch. (Matthew 24:40-42)

"People don't know what they like, they like what they know."

This story was in the Daily Mail/May 8, 2017

Texas could allow adoption agencies to ban Jews, gays and Muslims from taking in children as it votes on one of the most sweeping religious freedom bills in the country

(looks like some individuals taking great strides in going overboard with this religion bill.  I personally do not understand what its purpose is.  But I think it will backfire on those who supported it, the religious right or left?)   Glad we are not involved in these messes made up by people under you know who's influences.   My thoughts only, not of the story)

So does this mean Drs and Nurses could start refusing to treating JW's saying it bothers their conscience to not give us blood which could lead to death? Or could a teacher refuse to teach a child in a school because it bothers them that the child  refuses to salute the flag or partake in patriotic/religious celebrations?

5 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

So does this mean Drs and Nurses could start refusing to treating JW's saying it bothers their conscience to not give us blood which could lead to death? Or could a teacher refuse to teach a child in a school because it bothers them that the child  refuses to salute the flag or partake in patriotic/religious celebrations?

Interesting questions but I didn't see anything like that in the articles that I read. Did you read something that suggested what you said might happen?