JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Explosion, Police Shooting Shuts Down Train Station in Brussels

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2486 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Well, it is hard on those living in Europe (especially) at the moment.  I know you have to go about your daily lives, but it's this omnipresent expectation of where will it happen next?  I'm sure this will affect tourist numbers soon if not already, but how difficult it must be for the locals living in close proximity to lone-wolf-type attackers like this one today?  They just blend in with the crowd, and trigger themselves.  What a hateful world!

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I'm sure this will affect tourist numbers soon

I had strong plans to go to Europe within few months  - well.. rethinking decision (too much going on over there)

No wonder why there will be future proclamation of Peace and SECURITY... hmmm

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

I had strong plans to go to Europe within few months  - well.. rethinking decision (too much going on over there)
No wonder why there will be future proclamation of Peace and SECURITY... hmmm

Don't worry, Europe is perfectly fine to visit.

Johan
Well, it is hard on those living in Europe (especially) at the moment.  I know you have to go about your daily lives, but it's this omnipresent expectation of where will it happen next?  I'm sure this will affect tourist numbers soon if not already, but how difficult it must be for the locals living in close proximity to lone-wolf-type attackers like this one today?  They just blend in with the crowd, and trigger themselves.  What a hateful world!

Not really very much more than people elsewhere are worried.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I am writing this while riding on a German ICE high speed train from Cologne to Hannover. We change there for the train to Hamburg. My wife and I left London on Eurostar at 10:58 uk time and changed in Brussels for the ICE to Cologne.

It has been a wonderful journey so far. We were in the front section of the train to Cologne and could see through the driver's cab, although the glass was a little opaque.

.IMG_3136.thumb.JPG.dcd33a2911349c221c219f63f7de7559.JPG

We hope to arrive in Hamburg about 20:58 German time.

We hope it is a little cooler there; yesterday in our garden it was 35.5 celsius (95.9F)!

Well we arrived in Hamburg safely on Wednesday evening.  Thursday we were caught in a storm (tornado!) but sheltered ina cafe from the wind, hail, thunder, lightning and torrential rain!

https://www.rt.com/viral/393618-hamburg-tornado-germany-photos/

Later in the day we ate at a restaurant, under a large awning in the street - that is until the torrential rain started again and it was leaking through the cover and we had to run for cover into the restaurant with our food and drink!

Friday was a little better, not too much rain as we explored Planten un Blomen - a really nice park. Then the Opera in the evening.

Saturday a boat trip on the River Elbe on a ferry which is part of the public transport system, so no extra payment is necessary if you have a day ticket ( or you can buy a ticket on the boat).

Tomorrow is "Harley Day" and thousands of bikers and Harley-Davidsons have descended on the city. There is a grand parade tomorrow and many roads are closed.  It takes place while we will be at Kingdom Hall, thankfully.

http://www.hamburgharleydays.com/home/

Today we went to Kingdom Hall to an English meeting. I don't think we have ever been made more welcome!  The congregation has about 75 publishers, with 12 elders, 11 ministerial servants and 21 regular pioneers!

My wife and I commented during the Bible Study with the aid of the Watchtower magazine several times and many expressed appreciation for that.

Afterwards we had a ride on a bus to an area called Altona and found a nice cafe which served a lovely falafel dish with salad, hummous, and couscous. 

There is a wonderful little botanical garden attached to the University and run by volunteers and donors. We went there today and it was beautiful. Spent several hours there wandering the paths through different environments representing various parts of the world and stopping to sit on benches to enjoy the scenery. Lovely day.

Ate at a very nice restaurant - first time we had eaten turbot! Very good.

Resting now before bed!