JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Thinking if my grand mother

Thanks so much for these two videos...maybe it's just me??

but, this totally touched my heart...this is who God's people

are suppose to be...sharing what we can with one another!

p.s. Oh my.... I forget how those older songs 

can turn on the waterworks.

9 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Although, out of respect, he should perhaps remove his hat.

Johan

I agree with you Brother Johan...still and all...maybe our brother

was nervous because he was going to sing...or he just wasn't

thinking about a small thing like his hat...that he wears  all the

time...and he forgets it's on his head...C'est la vie.  (such is life)

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Although, out of respect, he should perhaps remove his hat.

Johan

Especially so IF he considers his praise a matter prayer: 
“Every man that prays or prophesies having something on his head shames his head;..."

Interesting is construction project prayers. We on occasion still hear instruction to remove our (Hard) hats, when in reality the only one that might have such an obligation is the brother offering the prayer. It should have gone out of style with "Let us bow our heads for prayer."

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Especially so IF he considers his praise a matter prayer: 
“Every man that prays or prophesies having something on his head shames his head;..."
Interesting is construction project prayers. We on occasion still hear instruction to remove our (Hard) hats, when in reality the only one that might have such an obligation is the brother offering the prayer. It should have gone out of style with "Let us bow our heads for prayer."

Nobody will come and knock you on the shoulder if you have a hat on during prayer, but it might come across as disrespectful to your brothers. Many come from cultures where removing your hat in front of authorities is a sign of respect, more so when partaking in prayer to Jehovah, and in many ways our songs have the nature of prayer, especially so in the current songbook.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

50 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Nobody will come and knock you on the shoulder if you have a hat on during prayer, but it might come across as disrespectful to your brothers. Many come from cultures where removing your hat in front of authorities is a sign of respect, more so when partaking in prayer to Jehovah, and in many ways our songs have the nature of prayer, especially so in the current songbook.

Johan

True, but removing one's hat out of respect for authority has a scriptural basis Ro 13:7 "Render to all their dues:... to the one who calls for honor, such honor." The doffing one's hat for prayer is a religious custom and ordinarily we do not practice the religious customs, in fact, we go out of our way to avoid them.
 I have always thought of it as imitating false religion, as seen in paintings such as Columbus's landing in the new world or the Mormons looking down on the Salt Lake Basin for the first time.

I also do not wear green on Saint Patrick's Day,  and some are sure to look at me with disrespect for not wearing home team colors in NFL Championship season. :)

PS: I always remove my hat when representing others in prayer.

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

True, but removing one's hat out of respect for authority has a scriptural basis Ro 13:7 "Render to all their dues:... to the one who calls for honor, such honor." The doffing one's hat for prayer is a religious custom and ordinarily we do not practice the religious customs, in fact, we go out of our way to avoid them.

I have always thought of it as imitating false religion, as seen in paintings such as Columbus's landing in the new world or the Mormons looking down on the Salt Lake Basin for the first time.

I also do not wear green on Saint Patrick's Day,  and some are sure to look at me with disrespect for not wearing home team colors in NFL Championship season. 

PS: I always remove my hat when representing others in prayer.

It is not a 'religious custom', at least not here. I couldn't care less what people do in their churches. People dress anyway they want to there. But we show proper respect in this way at our places of worship. Would wearing a hat like that be acceptable during song and prayer in your congregation?

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I've never heard of removing one's hat as a sign of respect to be a religious custom.  When hat wearing was common, it was removed for ladies, when indoors, when eating, when meeting someone in authority and definitely when praying.

It's just respectful... and it comes to mind for me anytime I see a man with his hat on indoors.  I love good manners.  :wub:

Ahem, I thought this was a topic about beautiful songs, not about hats. :whistling:

True. It's a very nice recording. He should maybe just have remembered to remove his hat. That was added as an afterthought.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 minutes ago, carlos said:

The lyrics of this song have changed a lot in the new songbook in Spanish. Has it changed in English too?

Not too much - changing "shall" to "will"...

Re-arranging the last lines to say "grave" instead of "Sheol"...

Neither change is as poetic or smooth to sing as the original lyrics

14 minutes ago, Hope said:

I'm more interested in that lipstick mark on the brother's neck... :D

He sounds nice, though.  I didn't even register the beard 'til Timpin mentioned it..

I think it was a tattoo. I used to see those lipstick mark tattoos often. One time I saw it on a woman and I was like ewww!

Edited by Brother Jack

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

15 minutes ago, Hope said:

:confused: 

Brother Carlos didn't mention the song by name, but, isn't it "He Will Call" ...song 151?

The song in the two videos?

Song 5, "God's Wondrous Works" has the Sheol to grave and various other changes,

which make my having memorized the original lyrics a real problem.:D

Edited by Friends just call me Ross

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

7 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

:confused: 

Brother Carlos didn't mention the song by name, but, isn't it "He Will Call" ...song 151?

The song in the two videos?

Song 5, "God's Wondrous Works" has the Sheol to grave and various other changes,

which make my having memorized the original lyrics a real problem.:D

The video was recorded before the songs were renumbered, evidently.. :) 

Not too much - changing "shall" to "will"...

Neither change is as poetic or smooth to sing as the original lyrics

The changes were not made for poetic reasons though, but to harmonise better with the scriptures. Rest assured that changes will continue to be made when necessary.

The Swedish version was not changed. If you've ever been to an RTO when songs are being translated, you will hear singing everywhere as the brothers and sisters try to form the lyrics.

Johan

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Yes, I meant the old song 111 "He will call", which is 151 in the new songbook. It don't think it mentions the grave, so I guess Hope is mixing it with another song. :)

We don't use to sing the kingdom songs in Spanish, but we heard the new lyrics at the convention and this specific song sounded a lot less poetic, more like everyday language. I am not sure I like that in a song that is sung in solemn occasions, but it is what it is.

In the Spanish translation it's Jehovah who speaks. I mean, the song doesn't say "He will call" but "I will call". The old lyrics asked "Which hope is there if you die today?". The new lyrics say "What hope is there for those who are already dead?". I guess some disliked the suggestion that they might die. :)  I was surprised to see the chorus says we will be able to kiss and hug our loved ones again. There is no hint of that either in the English or Romanian versions. But it's sounds very Spanish-like. :lol:

Edited by carlos

Just now, carlos said:

Yes, I meant the old song 111 "He will call", which is 151 in the new songbook. It don't think it mentions the grave, so I guess Hope is mixing it with another song. :)

We don't use to sing the kingdom songs in Spanish, but we heard the new lyrics at the convention and it seemed a lot less poetic, more like everyday language. I am not sure I like that in a song that is sung in solemn occasions, but it is what it is.

In the Spanish translation it's Jehovah who speaks. I mean, the song doesn't say "He will call" but "I will call". The old lyrics asked "Which hope is there if you die today?". The new lyrics say "What hope is there for those who are already dead?". I guess some disliked the suggestion that they might die. :)  I was surprised to see the chorus says we will be able to kiss and hug our loved ones again. There is no hint of that either in the English or Romanian versions. But it's sounds very Spanish-like. :lol:

I AM mixing it up with another song... the one that used to be 110 - God's Wondrous Works!  :wacko:  Thanks for the correction!

11 minutes ago, Hope said:

I AM mixing it up with another song... the one that used to be 110 - God's Wondrous Works!  :wacko:  Thanks for the correction!

I often mix them with the old lyrics from the pink songbook. My wife and I often laugh because we hardly succeed to learn by heart the new lyrics but remember perfectly the ones we sung as children. :)

Edited by carlos