JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's in your go-bag?

36 minutes ago, Adrianka said:

Anyone have a good list and where you've purchased items for your go bag? The current No.5 Awake gave me a lot to think about. If you have any good sites where you've purchased a bag with quality items as well, please let us know. 

You'll find several conversations on this forum where we have had long discussions about to make a go bag, it's funny that you brought it up, I plan to pull all of my emergency supplies out and review them today. I also plan to buy a couple of small duffle bags and assemble a couple of vehicle bags today.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Welcome to JWTalk! :)

As Brother Richard said, you'll find several topics in regards to your inquiry.  Here's two that I do recall:

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/17637-go-bagsbug-out-bags/?tab=comments#comment-251911

https://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/25786-go-bag-readiness-reminder/?tab=comments#top

Edited by Omoyeme

2 hours ago, GrumpysWife said:

This is a good list to get started. 

Emergency_Preparedness_Kit_Items.pdf

That's a good list. Thanks.

I'm in the process of taking our Home Emergency Kit and making two vehicle kits out of part of it. That's in case we aren't home and need to leave the area, at least we'll have a few basics with us. If we are home and have to evacuate, then I load the Home Kit in the car, with the vehicle kit.

I have been watching the news about the recent disasters and ask myself what I would need or want if I was there...That helps me figure out what to put in the kits.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Well I have one right by my door as I leave, but it's not complete.

Soo, thus far I have food, water, first aid kit, toiletries such as a bar of soap, tooth brush, tooth paste, deodorant, mouthwash, baby wipes (for cleansing in case there's no water), flashlight, portable radio, whistle, Bible. 

I need copies of papers, dollars, keys made, meds. (I have a feeling I left something out here). 

Oh! A sister had said that another sister bought a inflatable mattress, and at first I thought that was ridiculous. But now after thinking about it I think that's a very good idea because who wants to sleep on a floor? I'm buying one.

Oh and a blanket, jeans, underwear, bra, sneakers comfortable shoes, socks, a jacket, hat, and a simple dress or skirt and blouse to attend meetings and field service while in a shelter or fall out location, and literature. 

And I might purchase just a very few baby supplies for sisters such as formula, baby food, diapers. You never know.  They might in their haste to get away at the authorities' urging, forget such things or maybe not have enough. 

Sooo this means then that another bag, a large book bag to throw over the back might suffice. So in addition to the rolling bag by the door, I have one to carry on the back. I'm planning to fill that with clothes. There's an old metal shopping cart I have (makes a lot of noise but who cares when you're trying to run for your life from natural disasters?). The bottom will hold the inflatable mattress, then the one rolling bag, then maybe the one to carry on your back. 

Whew!! Sure hope all of the above won't be needed, I'm tired already! Lol. 

Edited by Luezette

It's suggested that the Emergency Kit has a change of clothes, I decided to get a pack of inexpensive Hi-Vis orange T-shirts for my vehicle Emergency kit.

9 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

Is it necessary to have Birth Certificate, Titles to Vehicles, Wills, etc. if they are in a safe deposit box in the bank?:confused:

Maybe get photo copies made of them.  You never know what make happen in an emergency situation ..... maybe the bank won't be accesible or not open.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

I've been very concerned about our lack of portable emergency supplies.  I have some of them, but I really need good sized, strong backpacks to store it all in and these have been out of my reach financially. Does anyone have any good ideas where I might be able to find these sorts of things reasonably priced?? I'm needing to pack up for my husband, and our preteen son as well.  We also live in an extremely cold area, so real coats, and ways to warm a car or even blankets that could break up the wind are absolutely needed for real emergencies.  So due to the weather, there's a storage space issue as well, I've been stressing out about not having what the slave has told us to have. 

54 minutes ago, Kaloa said:

I've been very concerned about our lack of portable emergency supplies.  I have some of them, but I really need good sized, strong backpacks to store it all in and these have been out of my reach financially. Does anyone have any good ideas where I might be able to find these sorts of things reasonably priced?? I'm needing to pack up for my husband, and our preteen son as well.  We also live in an extremely cold area, so real coats, and ways to warm a car or even blankets that could break up the wind are absolutely needed for real emergencies.  So due to the weather, there's a storage space issue as well, I've been stressing out about not having what the slave has told us to have. 

Every area will need a different type of emergency supplies. Look at the simple list in the recent Awake as a good starting point.

I am using plastic boxes for most of my stuff,  they are very inexpensive and stack easily. I also use some old luggage, you can sometimes find old luggage at garage sales.

I also bought red duffle bags at Walmart for $10 each and used them for the vehicle Emergency kits. 

Something is better than nothing, do what you can and add to it when you can.

I hope this is helpful, besides the cash that I have at home and in my kits, I also have emergency funds at several different major banks so in case one bank system fails I can use another one.

I review my kits once a year in October, it is Earthquake Awareness month and our highest risk of fires.

I check the food and water dates to ensure they are good for another year.

I check the copies of important document to see if anything has changed

I check any medications to ensure they are still good and add new medications

I check that the clothing still fits...:(

I check the spare batteries date

I also use my phone to take pictures of every room, every wall, every closet, every drawer. I open each drawer and take a picture.

I also take pictures of each appliance make, model and serial number. 

The pictures automatically sync with a cloud storage so I have offline pictures of everything in case the home gets destroyed.

One more thing...

I have solar lights in the yard, I try to get the kind that hang instead of the kind that stick in the ground.

If we have a power outage I can hang the solar lights in the house until they die, then use the flashlights and lantern...

I began preparing my emergency equipment when the Slave began to suggest doing so.  In addition to many things, I have included in my go bag, and emergency storage.   If anyone notices something I am missing let me know.  Last weekend we drove out our emergency evacuation, and found our original idea wasn't going to work so we found a better way.  We also changed our meeting place.  We originally planned to meet at the Kingdom Hall if we were separated, but found that there were too many trees and power lines and possible hazards during emergency evacuation.  We changed the route to take if we drove because of possible flooding, and arranged for second and third meeting places.  We also discussed who the friends were that lived closest to us in case we needed to go there.

foods

Bible

canned chicken,

tuna,

2400 calorie nutrition brick,

bottled water

eating utensils, collapsable cups paper plate

Emergency Equipment

important papers

extra zip loc bags, and trash bags

extra cell phone with fully charged battery 

windup flashlight that has solar, battery, and a radio

CB Radio, with extra batteries

cotton soaked in vaseline, (for easy fire starting and long burning)

lighter

Baby wipes

soap, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner, tooth brushes, tooth paste

extra pair of eyeglasses,

set of clothing

work gloves

extra led flashlights

Blue Tarp

rope

multi tooled thingy with can opener, pliers etc.

mummy Sleeping bags for cold temps

camping stove, additional propane tanks for cooking

plastic sheeting, duck tape

inverter fully charged for emergency power

First Aid Kit

gauze, bandaids, antiseptic ointment,

medications

medical tape

In addition to the go bag I have emergency food stored in a plastic bucket at the bottom of a closet,

Emergency Food Stored

canned fruit

canned chicken

peanut butter

pasta

oat meal

sugar, tea, canned powered milk

power super food, and powered proteins

rice

candy,

maria cookies

eating utensils, plates, cups,

salt, pepper, onion powder

bottled water

Edited by Jeffers

Don't forget toilet paper, paper towels and a few terrycloth towels or rags.

I have a tent too. It would provide some privacy even indoors.

I'm thinking of adding a 3L box of wine or a bottle of whisky :D

Edited by Tortuga

Tortuga, I forgot to include toilet paper in my list, however it has been included in our bag.  Wine....not sure what I think about that.  Towels will need to be added.  I did however add some of those blue and white or red and white kitchen cloths that are sold in the stores.  I thought I would use them since they can be rinsed and reused.  Paper towels won't last and I would like to create as little waste as possible.  I wish I could afford to include an extra tablet uploaded with all my favorites, but that would be wishful thinking.   I will continue to buy at least one food item to put aside every time I grocery shop, but I believe that no matter how hard I try, I will not have everything we need for difficult times.  All I can do is what I consider my best and leave it up to Jehovah to do the rest.

This is surely a timely topic isn't it? 

We don't know what the future holds as far as disasters are concerned. The only thing we are absolutely certain of is Jehovah will be with us, whether it be survival through the physical storms, or if we don't make it, life after we wake up. 

Yet Jehovah expects us to use a sound and reasonable mind by physically preparing now.

Edited by Luezette

I also have a water filtration straw so in case we are in an area with water, we can conserve our bottled water.

Oh, I have some tea bags too.