JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Church of Sweden did what???

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2316 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Of course, I mean that he would surely identity as some sort of "male figure" though right? If he wants us to call him father. Even if not by an Earthly concept. 

I’m not sure what you mean. The fact that we are taught to call God father does not mean he is a man, but shows that we respect his position in relation to us.

Any day now...

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

36 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I’m not sure what you mean. The fact that we are taught to call God father does not mean he is a man, but shows that we respect his position in relation to us.

Any day now...

I'm not saying he is a physical man. To me a male spirit or male gendered spirit creature is not to do with biology, but personality. He may have perfect traits of both within, but seems to only reveal or express his "manly side" to us.  

He could of used many words to refer to his position. Leader, commander, creator, law giver. Father needed not be one of them. A mother is above her son, Jesus could have used that term, but he never did, nor did Jehovah want us to do so even though both parents, male and female are over the child, and Jehovah is the parent of everyone, he need not focus on the gender aspect to get that point across. 

People in the world say things like "Mother nature" and it never serves to downplay it's ferocity. 

Edited by EccentricM

You see this as not the same? 

It’s not the same. One is deliberate, one is not necessarily. A better translator would have taken another route. It’s a different matter when you start to add things that aren’t there to satisfy your own beliefs and opinions. The nwt committee is constantly working to remove spurious parts that have been added before, while also trying to improve the translations to reflect the thoughts conveyed in the ancient texts using modern languages.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I'm not saying he is a physical man. To me a male spirit or male gendered spirit creature is not to do with biology, but personality. He may have perfect traits of both within, but seems to only reveal or express his "manly side" to us.  

He could of used many words to refer to his position. Leader, commander, creator, law giver. Father needed not be one of them. A mother is above her son, Jesus could have used that term, but he never did, nor did Jehovah want us to do so even though both parents, male and female are over the child, and Jehovah is the parent of everyone, he need not focus on the gender aspect to get that point across. 

People in the world say things like "Mother nature" and it never serves to downplay it's ferocity. 

He has both male and female qualities, and describes himself using many terms to make us see his many sides. He is not a “man” inside anymore than he is a “woman”, but possesses all qualities to perfection. He is a spirit, without our human limitations. In the Bible, God reveals himself mainly in the masculine form.

But sometimes he describes himself as a mother. (De 32:11, 12, 18; Ps 123:1, 2; 131:2; Isa 42:14; 49:15; 66:13; Ho 11:3, 4; 13:8. Compare Mt 23:37; Lu 13:34; and Lu 15:8-10)

This said, we should not tamper with the way God chooses to reveal himself.

Any day now...

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

"The Hebrew word ʼav, translated “father,” is a mimetic (imitative) word taken from the first and simplest sounds of infant lips. The Hebrew ʼav and the Greek pa·terʹ are both used in various senses: as begetter, or progenitor, of an individual (Pr 23:22; Zec 13:3; Lu 1:67), the head of a household or ancestral family (Ge 24:40; Ex 6:14), an ancestor (Ge 28:13; Joh 8:53), a founder of a nation (Mt 3:9), a founder of a class or profession (Ge 4:20, 21), a protector (Job 29:16; Ps 68:5), the source of something (Job 38:28), and a term of respect (2Ki 5:13; Ac 7:2)."

"Jehovah God as Creator is called Father. (Isa 64:8; compare Ac 17:28, 29.) He is also the Father of spirit-begotten Christians, the Aramaic term ʼAb·baʼʹ being used as an expression of respect and of close filial relationship. (Ro 8:15; see ABBA.) All who express faith with a hope of everlasting life can address God as Father. (Mt 6:9) Jesus Christ, the Messiah, because of being God’s Chief Agent of life, was prophetically called Eternal Father. (Isa 9:6) Also, anyone who has imitators and followers, or those who exhibit his qualities, is regarded as a father to them. (Mt 5:44, 45; Ro 4:11, 12) In this sense the Devil is spoken of as a father.—Joh 8:44; compare Ge 3:15." --- it-1 Father

"For this reason I bend my knees to the Father, to whom every family in heaven and on earth owes its name." --- Eph. 3:14, 15

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley