JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sisters (and brothers) who sew outfits, please share

NSSewer

ohh, I really like to attend your lessons, but I guess it's too far away :crying:

Too far for a lesson... :( I'm a member of the Guild of Spinners & Weavers... they have guilds in most countries (I think) maybe there is someone local who could teach you ?? you can also learn lots through You tube :)

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Knitting is very individual. that's why I am glad there is a tension guide at the beginning of patterns as we all knit differently. One aunty would sit knitting in front of the TV. You could always tell if she had been knitting during an exciting film as the knitted rows tension got tighter as the film got more exciting!!:bringiton:

Another Aunty knitted so slowly that once she was knitting a shawl for her baby grandson and my Uncle joked that he would be going to his job at the shipyard with it on his back by the time she finished it!!:lol2:

Poor Mother loved knitting and even tried after her stroke, but can't concentrate. We didn't want to upset her, but looking at her results we called her knitting very devout and she got the joke - holy, holy, holy! Whoever comes to visit her have to discreetly unravel sections and re-knit them for her.:uhhuh:

When I was at school, I decided to knit myself a school cardigan over the summer holidays with lots of cabling on the front panels. It was slow progress as I went on holiday and had other distractions. My Gran came to stay on the last week before school and my parents insisted we went fell walking and picnicking in the local Lake District with Gran. As there was only a week to go before school and I was desperate to finish. Hiker's in the Lake District,clambering up the hills in all their mountain gear were met with the funny sight of me stomping up passed them, with my Gran holding the ball of wool, while I was still madly knitting this cardigan!!:perplexed:

... I have to be honest and say that I have never knitted a tension square in my life... !! I'm always too impatient :)

The bag is crocheted, which is new to me, I'm okay doing granny squares, but to follow a pattern is new, so I'm pleased :)

My mum is a great knitter and keeps the tension really well, I'm not so good, I'm okay knitting socks but I think I would go to pieces if I knitted something large !

Its really good to make things though... I'm about to try some weaving... maybe a bit ambitious :D

Poor Mother loved knitting and even tried after her stroke, but can't concentrate. We didn't want to upset her, but looking at her results we called her knitting very devout and she got the joke - holy, holy, holy! Whoever comes to visit her have to discreetly unravel sections and re-knit them for her.:uhhuh:

That's just about the sweetest thing I ever heard!!!:kisscheek:

The Bee

In the Thread Title I noticed "brothers" mentioned but I get the feeling of like sitting in on a baby shower. LOL

I am always amazed at the talent of the sisters in regard the things they make. Mom used to make Afghans and pineapple doilies and lots of fancy macrame in the day. Me, oh, the only thing I ever sewed was baby diapers with a sewing machine I bought for my wife. That was 30 years ago. Well they did make good cleaning rags that lasted years after the kids were grown. My wife likes to make single crochet blankets or throws and gives them to all the new babies and friends.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

• 3 months later...
This is the rug almost finished... I just need to go around another couple of times..you could say I am hooked :)

63285=3461-2011-10-28 16.37.10.jpg

Oh! I've just found this thread! I really like this site more and more :ecstatic: This rug and the bag you have done just great. All what I do is ....... so usual, but yours are real art... >:D< Dear Annie, would you please explain to me how do you invisibly connect these short stripes of cloth in to the long one ?:blushing:

"Absolute rubbish”

This is the rug almost finished... I just need to go around another couple of times..you could say I am hooked :)

that rug is beautiful, Annie you are so clever, my grandma could crochet. even when 90 and blind in one eye and half sight left she make doylies and blankets i have ablanket she made a long time ago, but couldn't keep the doylies no room now i see i made a huge mistake i tried to pick this up but just didn't get the knack, i can knit a scarf, i tried to get back into it, but one day i try again. it is a beautiful talent. Gabe :coffee:

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

The rug is really easy... I followed this blog http://miaandtheboys.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-crochet-rag-rug.html more or less also some videos on you tube are very helpful

To join the pieces of sheet you just tie them together... I've made oval shaped rugs as well as circular, the circular ones are the easiest I found :)

Oh! I've just found this thread! I really like this site more and more :ecstatic: This rug and the bag you have done just great. All what I do is ....... so usual' date=' but yours are real art... >:D< Dear Annie, would you please explain to me how do you invisibly connect these short stripes of cloth in to the long one ?:blushing:[/quote'] They look invisible on the picture of the rug but in real life you can see the ends sticking out... I think it makes the rug look far nicer it looks more homely ?

svetlana he is so qcute. and the outfits are so fun and warm, gabe :thumbsup:

This is my work.:blushing: The three-horned hat (Do not look at the model' date=' look at the hat :raspberry:)

88018=4977-29999.JPG The overall

88018=4978-08529999.JPG and one more ....

88018=4979-100000.JPG [/quote']

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Hi, Gabriella! Thank you, he is really cute :) Yes, the fiber is 100% merinos wool and must be warm. We had some days with snow this winter and about two weeks of - 20* C :secret:

svetlana he is so qcute. and the outfits are so fun and warm' date=' gabe :thumbsup:
This is my work.:blushing: The three-horned hat (Do not look at the model, look at the hat :raspberry:)

88018=4977-29999.JPG The overall

88018=4978-08529999.JPG and one more ....

88018=4979-100000.JPG

"Absolute rubbish”