JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Christian jukebox (good clean music to listen to)

On 3/16/2023 at 3:36 AM, Lee49 said:

What You Won't Do for Love

Bobby Caldwell       

Hello, One of my favorites! I am quite surprised to see it here!

Otherwise Faith can heal for sure, I don't know what faith is McFerrin,

yet I just hope its not some kind of New Age.

Bobby McFerrin - Common Threads

Edited by NotHereEntirely

One of the greatest love songs ever, while denying you're in love. I thought this was a dumb song in 1975. But what did a 16-year-old kid know about being in love? Over the years and having my heartbroken a couple times, I understand the song so much better than I did in 1975. 

I really enjoyed the mini documentary that 10CC did to show all the work that went into this song, such as the small part where you hear "be quiet big boys don't cry".  They were in a meeting with their record producer, the secretary opens the door and tries to whisper a message gave them the idea to add the lyric as a whisper. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

“-Now this song is very important to me," he said before singing. "I try to pick songs that mean a lot to me. And this song is trying to tell you that people that you love, sometimes they need to be backed up. You need to give them strength and encouragement. My wife, you know, she was dying of lung cancer, so I said, you know, I was always able to fix stuff, to do things if she needed me I was always there. She said, 'Don't crumble with me, don't fall now, you've done everything you can, you must carry on and do what you do'. So I put the song, when I heard it, it was like it was written for this situation. It's a lovely song."-Tom Jones explains the song “I won’t crumble with you if you fall”. 

One of the most heartbreaking and painful songs about a marriage falling apart. The odd thing was that the two people in this video were married and had 4 children before getting divorced. Divorce is an ugly word. I have been through it in 1995. This song was also covered by Faith Hill & Tim McGraw. I like this version better though; you can feel the pain of what the singer is singing about. Divorce is a painful, traumatic event, at least it was for me. Never thought I would get married again in this system. Glad that I was able to find someone who truly loves Jehovah. 

I liked the hard driving sound that BTO (Bachman-Turner Overdrive) of the early 70's. When I heard this song, it was not hard driving but had a style I was not used to hearing them play.  Randy Bachman had been with the group, The Guess Who as the lead guitarist formed this group, and with the recommendation of Neil Young got Fred Turner to play bass and sing. This song was a turning point to me in what styles of music I would listen to age 14 I would develop an interest in blues and jazz. 

The beautiful voice of Judy Collins sings this classic Joni Mitchell song from 1968. I was just 9 years old when I heard this song on the radio. I was able to see Judy Collins perform this at the old Opera House in Seattle 1980. She is also the inspiration for the song Suite Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby, Stills & Nash. What a talent! 

Gary Moore could play any style of music. He is one of the greatest guitar players of all-time. I remember hearing this song on a classic rock station that would play the blues from 10-midnight. This song just blew me away. Gary Moore died at 58 from years of abuse to his body by alcohol. I hope if he resurrected, he gets a second chance at making better choices.