JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Christian jukebox (good clean music to listen to)

Say what you will about the Partridge Family show or the music that the show produced. I like all sorts of music including the Partridge Family. True it was mainly David Cassidy surrounded by talented people, not the ones on screen, except for Shirley Jones. 

If you grew up in the early 70's, this was part of our generation. That time period I would guess from the middle 60's to the late 70s had so much variety. 

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

What a heartbreaking song, sung by George Jones, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris & Trisha Yearwood. Just sung beautifully. The song concludes with this lyric

"Now she lies asleep under ground so poor that grass won't grow
As I stand here looking over this part of Tennessee
The fields are bare as far as the eye can see
And over the ground where Janie lies
There's a beautiful sight to behold
And no one knows
Why there's flowers growin' on ground so poor that grass won't grow...

When we were living in Michigan, I got Brooks & Dunn concert tickets for my wife, Debbie and I as a wedding anniversary present. I was not aware of the patriotic environment that surrounds country music concerts. 

Two days before we were to attend the concert, the United States was attacked on 9/11. We did not know if the show would go on or not. The patriotic environment had now increased incredibly. The show went on, two days later. They were handing out small flags to wave. We were not offered a flag as the man handing them out turned to others as we went in. 

The crowd was on its feet as Brooks and Dunn took the stage. Their lead guitarist performed to open the show with the Star Bangled Banner like Jimmi Hendrix did. They opened the show with "Only In America" their hit song from that year.  It made us think strongly after the show about being more careful with our entertainment. 

The concert itself was great as Sawyer Brown opened for Brooks & Dunn. My favorite part of the show was when each performer sang songs solo. Just a guitar, their voice and you the crowd. This was my favorite song of the show. Husbands and Wives was written and performed by Roger Miller in 1966. 

So, I went to the big box store ( HD ) today , drove our 1999 Chevy S 10 ( it was my mother in laws ) has only 75 K miles on it, the cassette player still works, I put a cassette in and this song was on it, I had taped it several years ago and guess who was on it? Yep, CHICAGO ! 😎

Beginnings - Chicago - 1969 - Full Version-.

2023-10-23_12h50_24.png

On 10/21/2023 at 4:36 PM, Lee49 said:

Chicago

I had an older brother who was around 12-13 when he started listening to Chicago in 1969. I would rather listen to hockey games on the radio. His head was always in the stereo listening to Chicago. One of the few bands we actually like. I have a more eclectic taste than he does. 

1 hour ago, DancesWithWife said:

George Jones

My inlaws got my wife and I tickets to see George and Tammy live when we lived in Michigan in the early 70's little did I know 20 years later we would be moving to Tennessee, I use to drive my George's house every day on my way to work, he lived just outside of Franklin, in 1999 he crashed his suv into a wall that was part of a bridge just down from where he lived, seems he had one to many! 😵

From "No Show Jones" to clean and sober: George Jones abruptly ended a decades-long stint as an alcoholic in March of 1999, after a devastating car crash that nearly cost him his life.

On March 6, Jones was driving just east of Franklin, Tenn., and talking to his daughter on his cell phone when he lost control of his SUV, according to details obtained by CMT. The vehicle crashed into a concrete bridge railing.

https://tasteofcountry.com/george-jones-car-crash-

From 1982, Christopher Cross singing about Laura, the friend of his girlfriend. She was 18, in college killed by a stray bullet.from a nearby gang fight. 

I got to see the Association live in Reno. I was down there for my older brothers wedding. They were performing at one of the hotels. I think it was around $8 for a little over hour show. This would have been in 1982. 

On 10/24/2023 at 12:49 AM, DancesWithWife said:

My favorite part of the show was when each performer sang songs solo. Just a guitar, their voice and you the crowd. This was my favorite song of the show. Husbands and Wives was written and performed by Roger Miller in 1966. 

Lyrics :

Two broken hearts lonely looking like houses
Where nobody lives
Two people each havin' so much pride inside
Neither side forgives

The angry words spoken in haste
Such a waste of two lives

Such heartfelt words. A great singer too.

Thanks Br. Gregg for your hard work and generous contributions.  Send my love and thanks also to your lovely wife Debbie for sharing your precious memories.

Spoiler

image.png.1aec8870c1df6cce7d7bb7bf846d7dec.png

Edited by Imagine

Jeff Healy 1966-2008  Many of you know his song "Angel Eyes". He went blind at age 1 from a rare form of cancer, retinoblastoma. He also had 2  sarcomas removed from his legs. He also metastatic cancer in both lungs and eventually died at age 41. https://youtu.be/Ah5Hs770twM?si=ag0yI3hDT-ANQZ3F

When I listen to music the first thing, I think of is, can I skate to it? This would have been fun to skate to, so much fun and energy. I am close to 65 and I absolutely enjoyed this performance. 

Edited by DancesWithWife

I am not a musician by any means! I enjoy listening to music analysis by this British guitarist named Fil. I don't always understand what he is saying, not his accent but the music terminology.  Like me, he really enjoys Gary Moore playing the guitar. Here he breaks down Gary Moore playing Jimmi Hendrix classic "Red House".  So sad that Gary Moore drank himself to death at age 58 from a heart attack. There was not a genre this man could not perform. 

My older brother and my dad a strained relationship for many years. When mom and dad needed help he stepped up big to help them. Spending time with dad as he began to fade physically and mentally helped tear down the wall that both of them had built. He was a good son to our parents.  My brother told me he heard this song right after dad passed away and broke down crying. Paul Carrack was a member of Mike & The Mechanics when this song was released in 1988. Great musician and singer. His first hit song was “How Long” by Ace in 1974.