JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sweden moves to ban smoking in public places

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2281 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The Swedish government wants to ban smoking at outdoor restaurants, train platforms, playgrounds and other public places.

Health Minister Annika Strandhäll announced the centre-left coalition government's new legislative proposal to stub out smoking in certain public places at a press conference at Stockholm Central Station on Friday.

"We need to de-normalize the use of tobacco in the public space," Strandhäll told reporters.

"I think it is reasonable that you should not have to be exposed to tobacco smoke in these kinds of places, such as platforms. Ninety percent of the population do not smoke," she said.

Sweden moves to ban smoking in public places (The Local)

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Well done, Sweden!!!    This is at least ONE thing the United States has sorted in advance.  It's been well over 15 years since smoking in public places has been allowed... probably longer than that.

You do everything else better, however...

Smoking is already prohibited inside public buildings, as well as restaurants, bars, pubs, etc. This change means no more smoking at bus stops, train platforms, as well as children’s play areas. When the restaurant smoking ban was introduced, smokers complained, but these days nobody misses it. So nice to be able to sit down and have your food without getting poisoned.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

I'm sick of all the thick-skinned smokers that do not care about suffocating others - they imagine they are the trees giving us the air we need. I get in contact with a lot of them everyday. 

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

We have that law here in NZ too, been in for some years ... but it is ignored by quite a few - overall though has been really good for someone like myself  knowing you can go into a cafe and there won't be smokers there.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

I remember going to theaters when smoking was allowed there and the air was thick with it..if you smoked it wasn't as bad but terrible for those who didn't, as well as kids..but still second hand smoke for all..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..