JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Prayers for those in Tonga and Fiji

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2229 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

2 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Should be over by dawn tomorrow ... the worst passed by 1 am in Wanganui ... but the eye will be heading east ... so those in the east coast will get the remnants. That is if the cyclone acts as predicted.

It's currently 7.23 pm.

Whatever you have in mind to do, do it safely. ..I wouldn't be climbing tall ladders into trees....or on the side of a house.

If y'all can hunker down in a good spot it would likely be the best idea....

We cleared all the gutters earlier this week - we don't even need to venture outside - and Civil Defense has advised that we don't travel. 

I can stand on the patio for now and see what damage - at the moment we have a few branches on the lawn, but so far that is all.

OKaaayyy last time there was wind like this it was in the Waiohine Storm over fifty years ago. I fear some of my trees won't be standing in the morning. This is the wow factor ... I can only imagine the sea at the moment.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

11 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

We cleared all the gutters earlier this week - we don't even need to venture outside - and Civil Defense has advised that we don't travel. 

I can stand on the patio for now and see what damage - at the moment we have a few branches on the lawn, but so far that is all.

OKaaayyy last time there was wind like this it was in the Waiohine Storm over fifty years ago. I fear some of my trees won't be standing in the morning. This is the wow factor ... I can only imagine the sea at the moment.

I'm a little jealous,  I love big storms. In Iowa I was treated to some awesome lighting and thunder storms, I was impressed! !

Just been sitting in my wicker rocking chair ... watching the branches come down ... they are spirralling like helicopters and some like arrows hitting the ground with force. It's pretty awesome. I have all my windows facing away from the storm on safety latches so the pressure inside doesn't build too much.

Watched one branch fly two sections over.

So might go watch that - more exciting than TV and yes I love storms too, as long as people are safe and their property is okay.

We getting power fluctuations now - so power probably won't last too much longer.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Yup ... woke to loads of branches and debris on our front lawn, but wow it could have been much worse.

And sadly, it was for some folks down South.

There are videos emerging on Youtube of some of the damage they got.

I'm still not aware of any damage to the West of us yet, over and beyond what was announced last night.

Here are some vids to show some of the damage in the South Island. We (Wanganui) truly did escape the worst - being tucked up in a large bay I think protected us somewhat.

https://youtu.be/nDx803DoUKs

Edited by Stormswift

Thanks my brother, I was in no doubt WE would be ok - i was worried about our big trees and the house though. This is the beginning of the Cyclone season down this way so hopefully this was the biggest we get ... we usually only get tropical storms ... this was most unusual. Not quite over, we have some rainbands coming from the remnants of Gita over the next few days, but it shouldn't be anything too out of the ordinary.

Hopefully all the brothers and sisters down South have feared okay with minimal damage, if I hear anything to the contrary I'll certainly be back so you know what is happening with them as well. 

Thank you all for your support  - you all have a piece of my heart. xxx

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight, as I sit here with the fans on full .. I can hear the birds chirping - and the once still day is now becoming a litle breezy. As I look out my bedroom doors to the North I see cloud gathering on the horizon - white fluffy cloud - that belies what is behind it. Another Cat 1 Extra-Tropical Cyclone Hola is bearing down onto NZ tonight. There are two models - the American one is forecasting that it will clip North Auckland/Coromandel, Bay of Plenty and Gisborne - before heading out east and blowing out of steam.

The other Model - the Eurpoean model has it pushing more south west =meaning full hit for North Island. They are undecided on its track - so it's a wait and see.

Tonight it hits far North, tomorrow/Tuesday it will hit the rest of the Island. If there is any concern I will pop back here and address it

Hope all my brothers and sisters up North stay safe. 

Forgot to say - New Caledonia has just been whipped by this Cyclone - ssven meter waves. Not heard any other reports as yet.

Hiya Ross! xxx

Edited by Stormswift