JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My Tablet ...

It's dying ... the life is slowly leaving it ... each day I'm getting less and less battery life - I fear soon it will sink into Gehenna ... all my study notes, notations in scriptures, photos, music and field service gems I've saved will be gone.

This little machine is a gateway to so many memories, friends around the world ... it fills in my evening ... (have to accept change don't we?)

I'm writing this in the hope that someone knows a miraculous way of giving life back to my  battery? I know nothing about the technical side of tablets.

I've checked out all the cheap options first - making sure both my chargers and cords are efficient and appropriate for my tablet. Just bought a new charger and cord for my model - and there's no difference.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help and give me ideas.

My Tablet is:

Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 SM-T800

(it has an attached keyboard - would this be draining unecessary power?)

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

It's dying ... the life is slowly leaving it ... each day I'm getting less and less battery life - I fear soon it will sink into Gehenna ... all my study notes, notations in scriptures, photos, music and field service gems I've saved will be gone.
This little machine is a gateway to so many memories, friends around the world ... it fills in my evening ... (have to accept change don't we?)

I'm writing this in the hope that someone knows a miraculous way of giving life back to my  battery? I know nothing about the technical side of tablets.

I've checked out all the cheap options first - making sure both my chargers and cords are efficient and appropriate for my tablet. Just bought a new charger and cord for my model - and there's no difference.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help and give me ideas.

My Tablet is:
Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 SM-T800

(it has an attached keyboard - would this be draining unecessary power?)

See if you can switch to a newer battery at a repair shop?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

trying cheaper fixes first - if there are any.

(Been quoted in excess of $300 for a new battery can't remember if that includes labour).

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 hour ago, Stormswift said:

all my study notes, notations in scriptures, photos, music and field service gems I've saved will be gone.

I would back up your info before you do anything.  There is a way to do it in the JW app. 

The other stuff... email it to yourself and you can have it in a permanent location. 

Just some thoughts.

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

I’m trying to start using that big bible I so desperately wanted. And then wondered. I’m putting notes in the margin. Again. With the intent of getting to my iPad bible. I’m also using it to figure out whose who for the congregation book study. 

I feel your pain. I lost it all when I replaced my iPad. This one has  a BIG memory. But who knows? It’s a machine. 

I know there are ways to escape some of it...but my brain does not have enough gigabytes! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Maybe you could buy one of those power banks and run your tablet off that.

I am assuming at home you run on mains power, so it's only a problem when you are mobile. Having those power banks will mean an extra bit to carry around with a lead.

Ideally, swapping out the battery is the best solution, but nowadays, it is so expensive, it may be worth looking at a new tablet, faster, bigger, brighter, low power usage etc...

(I have bought replacement batteries for my phone, but they never seem as good as the original OEM ones)

Samsung have apps that can backup all your files to a PC, so at least you have a copy of everything.

When I upgraded my phone (both Samsung) it came with an adapter that connected the 2 together, and transported all my files, notes, pics, call logs, text messages, contacts.

But I have not tried that with a tablet yet.

Sometimes if you buy a new tablet, the retailer may offer this service.

All the best!

(PS Why do you think your tablet is going to Gehenna? To me it sounded like it goes to all the meetings, joins you in family worship, retains a lot of your ideas and information ...? Just wondering... )

Older

{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

Unfortunately most items produced in this system are disposable and throw away. 

Greedy commerce wants us to keep replacing products and spending money. 

Best if you back up your files and replace the tablet or keep looking for cheaper options to change your battery 

Sometimes private people have home or market businesses and is cheaper to go with them.

Look for those businesses in your local paper or noticeboards in the supermarkets etc ..etc 

No matter what you intend to do ... back up your files.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Prices for batteries start around $18 US. There are some good videos on the procedure. Replacing a battery in a Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 SM-T800 appears to be much easier than a battery replacement in an Ipad. Amazon lists kit battery and video for about $60 US.

Watch this video before making a decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnUEMyDs27I

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Unfortunately most items produced in this system are disposable and throw away. 

Greedy commerce wants us to keep replacing products and spending money. 

Best if you back up your files and replace the tablet or keep looking for cheaper options to change your battery 

Sometimes private people have home or market businesses and is cheaper to go with them.

Look for those businesses in your local paper or noticeboards in the supermarkets etc ..etc 

No matter what you intend to do ... back up your files.

Thanks - backed up - on SD card ... can't afford another tablet which is why im looking at options.

9 hours ago, njwinans said:

I would back up your info before you do anything.  There is a way to do it in the JW app. 

The other stuff... email it to yourself and you can have it in a permanent location. 

Just some thoughts.

Awful lot to email to myself - Our PC crashed after a windows 10 update ... it just froze at 33% and we can't get it back ... so all we have is our tablets. I'll work it out. Thanks for your help. xx

2 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

Maybe you could buy one of those power banks and run your tablet off that.

I am assuming at home you run on mains power, so it's only a problem when you are mobile. Having those power banks will mean an extra bit to carry around with a lead.

Ideally, swapping out the battery is the best solution, but nowadays, it is so expensive, it may be worth looking at a new tablet, faster, bigger, brighter, low power usage etc...

(I have bought replacement batteries for my phone, but they never seem as good as the original OEM ones)

Samsung have apps that can backup all your files to a PC, so at least you have a copy of everything.

When I upgraded my phone (both Samsung) it came with an adapter that connected the 2 together, and transported all my files, notes, pics, call logs, text messages, contacts.

But I have not tried that with a tablet yet.

Sometimes if you buy a new tablet, the retailer may offer this service.

All the best!

(PS Why do you think your tablet is going to Gehenna? To me it sounded like it goes to all the meetings, joins you in family worship, retains a lot of your ideas and information ...? Just wondering... emoji41.png)

Older

{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

Aaah the Gehenna comment, yes the heart of the machine is good - that I can save ... but the machine will not be able to be resurrected once it goes.

The problem is even when I have it plugged in and using it - it drains - slower of course when it's plugged in.  Actually I'm wondering if there's something on it that is draining my battery faster ... I say that because I take it to the meetings and its not on the net when I do, and I only use 20-30% in the two hours I'm there ... but when back home it seems to drain quicker even if I'm just on the forum.

1 hour ago, Old said:

Prices for batteries start around $18 US. There are some good videos on the procedure. Replacing a battery in a Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 SM-T800 appears to be much easier than a battery replacement in an Ipad. Amazon lists kit battery and video for about $60 US.

Thank you m'dear. 

7 minutes ago, pnutts said:

If changing battery is not an option, backup everything to a stick or online with Google cloud backup.

Hiya you, lovely to see you - yeah it's all backed up. Just if this dies I have nowhere for those backed up files to go.

10 hours ago, Intercore said:

Thanks for that it could have been amazing ... but I don't have the Android Lollipop i have the 6.0.1 version.

1 hour ago, Old said:

Have just subscribed to that video -yes I think i could replace it myself - this is the magic I was hoping would happen -- i'll start saving for the amazon kit. REALLY appreciate your help.