JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Examining the Scriptures Daily - 2014

Tuesday, November 25

Jehovah knows how to deliver people of godly devotion out of trial.—2 Pet. 2:9.

Suppose you are looking for a job. If you live in a land where work is scarce, you might be tempted to accept the first job offer—any offer—that comes along. What, though, if the nature of the work conflicts with Bible principles? What if the schedule or traveling involved will impede your Christian activity or take you away from your family? Should you accept the offer anyway, thinking that an unsuitable job is better than no job? Remember, choosing the wrong path could distance you from Jehovah. (Heb. 2:1) Keep in mind your destination. Ask yourself, ‘Where do I want a job or career to take me?’ If you view secular work as a means to an end—to support yourself and your family in Jehovah’s service—Jehovah will bless your efforts. (Matt. 6:33) Jehovah is not stumped when you face a job loss or an unexpected economic downturn.—Isa. 59:1. w13 1/15 2:5, 6

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one was hard to read.  I have been looking for a job for over five months now, and have turned down two jobs because they would have taken me away from spiritual and family responsibilities.  Now I find out that I will also be losing my insurance in January, too.

Live long and prosper. 🖖🏻

I'm sorry Jules. That has to be tough. Finding a job that works with our serving Jehovah is really hard and takes much persistence. When I was working, my job meant having to be away from home for 7 days and to miss meetings. I was fortunate to be able to get the meetings on the phone and I was able to go in service during the day when my clients didn't need me as long as I kept my cell handy just in case I was needed. Hope you are able to find one soon.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Wednesday, November 26

Observe the oneness of the spirit in the uniting bond of peace.—Eph. 4:3.

We attain such unity when we apply Jehovah’s instruction and allow ourselves to be molded by God’s holy spirit. Although Jehovah has declared his anointed ones righteous as sons and the other sheep righteous as friends on the basis of Christ’s ransom sacrifice, personal differences will arise as long as any of us are alive on earth in this system of things. (Rom. 5:9; Jas. 2:23) Otherwise there would have been no need for the inspired advice for us to continue “putting up with one another.” How is unity with fellow believers achieved? We need to develop “complete lowliness of mind and mildness.” (Eph. 4:1, 2) Applying this counsel involves yielding to the influence of God’s spirit and allowing it to produce its fruitage in us. That fruitage mends rifts between individuals, in contrast with the works of the flesh, which are always divisive. w12 7/15 4:6, 7

Thursday, November 27

Stand firm against the machinations of the Devil.—Eph. 6:11.

Satan the Devil has no compassion for humans, especially for those who serve Jehovah. In fact, Satan is waging war on the anointed remnant. (Rev. 12:17) Those stalwart Christians have spearheaded the modern-day Kingdom-preaching work and have exposed Satan as the ruler of this world. The Devil also has no love for the “other sheep,” who support the anointed and are in line for everlasting life—a prospect that Satan no longer has. (John 10:16) No wonder he is wrathful! Whether we have the heavenly hope or the earthly hope, Satan certainly has no interest in our welfare. His goal is to make us his victims. (1 Pet. 5:8) To accomplish his aim, Satan has set various traps, or snares. Since he “has blinded the minds” of unbelievers, they do not accept the good news and cannot see these traps. However, the Devil also ensnares some who have accepted the Kingdom message.—2 Cor. 4:3, 4. w12 8/15 4:1, 2

Friday, November 28

Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need.—Matt. 5:3.

Features that have long been part of the convention program are widely anticipated. Spiritual “food at the proper time,” giving us a better understanding of Bible prophecies and teachings, has come not only from discourses but also through new publications released at conventions. (Matt. 24:45) Such releases are often tools that help sincere individuals appreciate Scriptural truths. Stimulating Bible-based dramas encourage both young and old to examine their motives and guard against the pressures exerted by the world’s ungodly thinking. The baptism talk likewise offers all of us an opportunity to review our priorities in life and to experience the joy of seeing others symbolize their dedication to Jehovah. Yes, long a part of pure worship, conventions equip Jehovah’s joyful people to serve him appropriately in challenging times. w12 9/15 5:14, 18, 19

Saturday, November 29

The city [Jerusalem] will actually be captured.—Zech. 14:2.

“The city” is symbolic of God’s Messianic Kingdom. It is represented on earth by its ‘citizens,’ the remnant of anointed Christians. (Phil. 3:20) Although God’s people were outnumbered, misrepresented, opposed, and persecuted at the hands of attackers during World War I, true worship could not be crushed out of existence. There were “the remaining ones of the people,” that is, the anointed remnant who loyally refused to be “cut off from the city.” More attacks by the nations were yet to come against the anointed remnant and their loyal companions with an earthly hope. (Rev. 12:17) World War II is a proof of that. The integrity-keeping course of God’s faithful anointed Witnesses spurs on God’s servants today to endure whatever trials come their way, including opposition from unbelieving relatives, workmates, or schoolmates who ridicule them for their faith.—1 Pet. 1:6, 7. w13 2/15 3:4-7

Sunday, November 30

Keep holding the pattern of healthful words.—2 Tim. 1:13.

Those “healthful words” are found in God’s Word. (1 Tim. 6:3) Just as an artist’s sketch provides us with a general picture, ‘the pattern of truth’ provides a broad outline for us to perceive and follow what Jehovah requires of us. After taking in knowledge, we develop faith. But we should continue to grow in both respects. (2 Thess. 1:3) Growth involves a progressive series of changes. “To grow” means to increase, to enlarge. Thus, after baptism, we need to continue to develop our spirituality so that our growth does not become stunted. During our initial period of Bible study, we may quickly grow spiritually and then get baptized. In the following years, our continued spiritual growth may not be as noticeable. Nevertheless, we still need to grow in faith and knowledge “to a full-grown man, to the measure of stature that belongs to the fullness of the Christ.”—Eph. 4:13. w13 3/15 3:7-9

Monday, December 1

Look! I am come . . . to do your will, O God.—Heb. 10:7.

With these meaningful words, Jesus presented himself to God to carry out all that was foretold about the promised Seed, including his being ‘bruised in the heel’ by Satan. (Gen. 3:15) No other human has ever volunteered to shoulder such a heavy responsibility. From heaven, Jehovah voiced his complete trust in his Son. (Luke 3:21, 22) Jesus always practiced what he preached by letting his “Yes mean Yes.” (Matt. 5:37) He allowed nothing to sidetrack him from the commission he received from his Father to preach the good news of God’s Kingdom and to make disciples of all whom God drew to Jesus. (John 6:44) The Bible describes the extent of Jesus’ truthfulness in these well-known words: “No matter how many the promises of God are, they have become Yes by means of him.” (2 Cor. 1:20) Indeed, Jesus is the finest example of one who proved true to what he promised his Father. w12 10/15 4:3, 4

Tuesday, December 2

Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding.—Prov. 3:5.

In accord with Jehovah’s will, Christian elders have been entrusted with the responsibility of handling cases of wrongdoing in the congregation. These brothers do not have the full insight that God does, but they aim to make their decision harmonize with the direction given in God’s Word under the guidance of holy spirit. Hence, what they decide in such matters after seeking Jehovah’s help in prayer will reflect his point of view. (Matt. 18:18) Here is where loyalty matters. Will you forgive and confirm your love for those judged to be repentant? (2 Cor. 2:5-8) This may not be easy, especially if you are a victim of the wrongdoing or are related to a victim. However, by placing your trust in Jehovah and his way of dealing with matters through the congregation, you will act wisely. You will demonstrate that you really do forgive freely. w12 11/15 5:16, 17

Thank you Vernalee, the daily test today I like very much, for countless times I have read this scripture, and before mainly think it for making decisions. And today's text gives a new concept, how we react at the decisions of the elders also reveal if we trust in Jehovah with all our hearts, especially in some certain difficult or special situation as mentioned in the text.

I agree Linda, I have had problems with my own family and have struggled to be more forgiving. When you have been hurt it is hard to put it away. Still a work in progress with me.

Edited by GrumpysWife

Wednesday, December 3

Is he the God of the Jews only? Is he not also of people of the nations?—Rom. 3:29.

In ancient Israel, the rights of non-Israelites were somewhat limited, yet the Israelites were required to treat foreigners respectfully and fairly. Foreigners in ancient Israel benefited from their close association with native Israelites. This reflected Jehovah’s thinking on the matter as expressed by the apostle Paul in today’s text. By means of the new covenant, the congregation of anointed Christians replaced literal Israel as the nation with whom God was to have a special relationship. It is therefore called “the Israel of God.” (Gal. 6:16) And as Paul explained, in this new nation, “there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, foreigner, Scythian, slave, freeman, but Christ is all things and in all.” (Col. 3:11) In that sense, then, there were to be no foreigners in the Christian congregation. w12 12/15 4:2-4

Thursday, December 4

You cannot slave for God and for Riches.—Matt. 6:24.

Money is not evil, nor is it wrong to engage in honest business. (Eccl. 7:12; Luke 19:12, 13) However, nurturing a “love of money” will unavoidably distance us from Jehovah. (1 Tim. 6:9, 10) “The anxiety of this system,” extreme concern about obtaining life’s necessities, can choke us spiritually. So can “the deceptive power of riches,” the mistaken belief that riches bring lasting happiness and security. (Matt. 13:22) The wrong view of money can lead to wrong actions. (Prov. 28:20) Promises of quick, easy money have enticed some to purchase lottery tickets or to pursue multilevel marketing schemes, even drawing in other members of the congregation. Others have been fooled by offers of unrealistically high returns on investments. Do not allow greed to cause you to be defrauded. Use good sense. If an offer seems too good to be true, it probably is. w13 1/15 3:11, 12

Friday, December 5

Many . . . of the rulers actually put faith in [Jesus], but because of the Pharisees they would not confess him.—John 12:42.

How much better it would have been for those rulers had they not given so much importance to what the Pharisees thought! Earlier in his ministry, Jesus had clearly identified why many would not receive him and put faith in him. (John 5:39-44) The nation of Israel had been anticipating the arrival of the Messiah for centuries. When Jesus began teaching, some individuals may have discerned from Daniel’s prophecy that the appointed time for Christ’s appearance had arrived. Months earlier when John the Baptizer came preaching, many were saying: “May he perhaps be the Christ?” (Luke 3:15) But those versed in the Law failed to accept Jesus as the Messiah. Pinpointing the reason, Jesus asked them: “How can you believe, when you are accepting glory from one another and you are not seeking the glory that is from the only God?” w13 2/15 4:6, 7

Saturday, December 6

We . . . shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever.—Mic. 4:5.

Walking in God’s name involves at least three things. First, we must proclaim that name to others, recognizing that only those who ‘call on the name of Jehovah will be saved.’ (Rom. 10:13) Second, we need to reflect Jehovah’s qualities, especially his love. And third, we walk in God’s name when we joyfully submit to his righteous standards, lest we bring reproach on our Father’s holy name. (1 John 4:8; 5:3) Are you determined to “walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite”? We have willingly come to know Jehovah. We are proud to bear his name and to be his obedient name people. Hence, we look to the future with confidence in the promise recorded at Psalm 9:10: “Those knowing your name will trust in you, for you will certainly not leave those looking for you, O Jehovah.” w13 3/15 5:16-18

Yay my favourite scripture. Look forward to going through this with my wife later.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

Yay my favourite scripture. Look forward to going through this with my wife later.

I'm also looking forward to this with my wife - especially since this day is our Anniversary ... 34 years today

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Congratulations John! Hope you have a lovely day.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

Sunday, December 7

God is not partial, but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.—Acts 10:34, 35.

It is disrespectful to consider those of another nation to be inferior to people in one’s own country. More than that, such an attitude indicates an ignorance of the facts. The publication The Races of Mankind states: “The races of mankind are what the Bible says they are—brothers.” Brothers are often quite different, but they are brothers nonetheless. Of course, no matter where we reside, foreigners live among us. That was also the case with the ancient Israelites, who by means of the Law covenant were in a special relationship with Jehovah God. The rights of non-Israelites were somewhat limited, yet the Israelites were required to treat them respectfully and fairly. What a fine example for us to follow! There is no room for partiality or prejudice among true Christians. w12 12/15 4:1, 2

Monday, December 8

Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of.—2 Tim. 2:15.

It has been said that life can be understood by looking back but that it must be lived by looking ahead. So instead of worrying about the past, we should be concerned about the present and the future. As the great tribulation nears, we do not want to be plagued with such anxious thoughts as these: ‘Could I have done more in God’s service? Why didn’t I pioneer when I had the opportunity? What prevented me from reaching out to serve as a ministerial servant? Did I make a real effort to put on the new personality? Am I the sort of person Jehovah wants in his new world?’ Instead of just worrying about such sobering questions, we want to use them to analyze ourselves and make sure that we are giving our best in Jehovah’s service. Otherwise, we could be continuing in a way of life that may result in even more regrets. w13 1/15 4:13, 14