JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

We've not discussed this for a while. .. 2012 was the last thread I could find, we've had lots of new members since then.  

So tell me what do you do for recreation, and at what point does a hobby become an obsession!   Try to include photos if possible. 

I say obsession because believe me there's a fine line between it!  

My hobby is knitting,  it sounds boring but the modern knitting isn't. .. I'm trying to produce my own made by me wardrobe as I enjoy dress making as well.  At the moment. .. If I'm sitting them I'm knitting :D

20180224_122426.jpg

20180303_082410.jpg

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

5 minutes ago, anniebea said:

I have done but not lately. .. although I have thought about doing them again

Let me know if you do.

I have a woven Navajo tie from a sister on an Indian reservation and I have a wood bow tie. I think a nice knitted tie would be perfect. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Let me know if you do.

I have a woven Navajo tie from a sister on an Indian reservation and I have a wood bow tie. I think a nice knitted tie would be perfect. 

I will do Richard,  I've done sewn ones and a few knitted.  The Navajo tie sounds beautiful. 

1 minute ago, anniebea said:

I will do Richard,  I've done sewn ones and a few knitted.  The Navajo tie sounds beautiful. 

It has a beautiful pattern

20180324_165057.thumb.jpg.d968cc9eee3242c5eb7cd51b2ee05f46.jpg

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, anniebea said:

So tell me what do you do for recreation, and at what point does a hobby become an obsession!   Try to include photos if possible. 

I say obsession because believe me there's a fine line between it!  

When I was younger, I overindulged in my hobbies and certain things had to reach perfection. Obsession was a good term for me back then. My sister said it best years ago regarding my hobbies. She said “there’s a fine line between hobby and mental illness.” :D 

Most witnesses would probably think my hobbies are a sin. I enjoy a couple of shooting sports such as archery and benchrest rifle shooting and long range shooting. I also hunt and fish to put lean organic free ranging meat on the table.

Where I live, none of what I do is looked down upon. Most of our brothers including servants and elders hunt and fish here. I even bump into them at the range from time to time! 

When I lived in a major metropolitan area in the lower 48 about the time I was 18, I went deer hunting on opening day which was a Friday. That was my normal service day. When I didn’t show up for service a sister asked my mom if I was sick. My mom said “no. He’s deer hunting today.” The sister then asked if I was using a bow and arrows. My mom said “no. He’s using a rifle.” The sister shrieked and asked if I had left the truth. Lol! My mom told her no I hadn’t left the truth. She was so puzzled that I owned a gun.

I’m so glad I don’t have to go through that anymore! 

I pioneer friend of mine butchering some fish we caught and my wife and I at the range ringing some steel targets. 

A66EC5AE-9F5A-4C05-869D-4043190971FC.thumb.jpeg.ee4010bbfb7f046831a5f8747370954e.jpeg

99FB1617-C58A-47A7-9A15-9B4DB9F90090.jpeg

Edited by Michael

1 hour ago, Michael said:

Most witnesses would probably think my hobbies are a sin. I enjoy a couple of shooting sports such as archery and benchrest rifle shooting and long range shooting. I also hunt and fish to put lean organic free ranging meat on the table.

I use to have a few bows and a target years ago, I have never owned a rifle and I haven't been fishing in a long time but your hobbies sound like fun :thumbsup:

19 minutes ago, Michael said:

It is soooo much fun. If you like hand/eye coordination, focus and symmetry, it’s very enjoyable. Good exercise too! Excellent physical and mental exercise. 

Im not sure I would have the strength to pull the bow back

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Manufacturers have bows for everybody including small kids and women. I have a 6 year old that uses a 20# pull weight. 

Why type of bow does your 6 year old son/daughter have?

I had a couple of recurves at one time that were #30 and #35 pull.

1 hour ago, Woodland said:

Hobbies - you need time and talent.  Alas I have neither but the idea is really appealing.

Dear Kerry, one of my hobbies is singing - actually I would sing all the time, if I didn´t feel sorry for the people around me.

So, I can confirm you that I have NO TALENT AT ALL - but that doesn´t keep me from doing it :raspberry:

:punk::dance::rockon:

Chrissy :wave:

I have never viewed fishing as a hobby - more like relaxation while I gather food for the family.

Woodworking is more of a hobby as well as computer programming.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

41 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

Oh, Brother,  we need to talk! 

I saw that coming from 500 yards away..

:D

10 minutes ago, Michael said:

I’ll see the 500 and raise to 700. :)

I knew your first post would get Tim's attention, I was just waiting for it..:D