JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Backup and sync our app to multiple devices?

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to sync our app (Jw library) between two Android devices. Being stuck in a crane all day, at times I get a window to study but I don't carry my tablet up here. So I make notes on my phone, and would love to be able to sync the phone and tablet app together so my notes are available on both devices.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just now, And_Ray said:

There's a tool made for this purpose made by a brother. I've managed to merge 3 backups into one. Search for JWLMerge and you'll find a link pointing to Github page. That's the thing you're looking for.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

How much do you charge to do that for me? :D

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Hammerhead said:

Just wondering if anyone has found a way to sync our app (Jw library) between two Android devices. Being stuck in a crane all day, at times I get a window to study but I don't carry my tablet up here. So I make notes on my phone, and would love to be able to sync the phone and tablet app together so my notes are available on both devices.

If you don't need to preserve the notes you have in your phone right now, you can do this without a third party app.

You only need to save a backup from your tablet and restore it on your phone (of course all notes you already have on your phone will be lost). Then add whatever notes and highlighting in your phone, and when you are done, make a backup and restore it to your tablet. That way both devices will always be synced.

If you have valuable notes in both devices that you wish to keep, then you can combine them using the JWLMerge app that Andrej mentioned. Afterwards you only need to follow the above procedure.

Hi hammerhead, I hope this is what you are after.
There is a down side to my solution, but it is free.
I have 2 Android devices, and I use an internet connect. With my method, I only generate new study notes or gems on my phone. ONLY. (You will need to use a similar routine to keep up to date) This is how I do it.
On JW.Lib (phone), I then click on the 'Personal Study' tab {from the Top Left Home menu button}. Now go top right & click on the cloud symbol. 'Create' a backup. I use the free Google My Drive. I give it a new name like aaaDate.jwlibrary, as it lists them alphabetically. And I date it so I got a fall-back version. (It MUST end in xxx.jwlibrary eg: aaa2018-04-17.jwlibrary)
Now on the tablet, I click on 'Personal Study' tab, 'Restore' a backup. Use the Google 'My Drive' and select the file just created on the phone. It lists them alphabetically.
It will now import ALL your Personal Study notes or Gems from the phone to the tablet.
Here is the down side; It will overwrite all previous notes on your tablet.
So if you are on your tablet, make a note, it will not appear back on the phone, unless you do the whole process in reverse, but it will overwrite all notes now to match the tablet.
In my case, I used to forget which device I made the new note on. And the which way I last made a back-up (or sync) routine. So I decided to only make notes on one device, and I only create /restore in the same direction ie phone to tablet. This works for me . It is free. Hope it works for you.
As I understand the above link, I assume that it will check the dates of when the personal notes were made, and blend them and combine all notes, regardless of when it was made, or regardless of which device it originated on. Then you feed that master blended file back to all the devices...
Hope this helps. Any questions, please contact me. Agape. Tony.

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

2 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

I checked the jwlmerge site. Looks good. But i think you might have to run it off a PC . So do this first if you have important notes on both.

Older

I just experimented with the program and it was very simple to use. A very kind brother did the first merge for me and he was able to merge the notes from a PC, 2 newer Android devices and 1 older Android. Now all 4 devices have the same notes, highlights and tags. I'll be able to do the merge next time.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Hi hammerhead, I hope this is what you are after.
There is a down side to my solution, but it is free.
I have 2 Android devices, and I use an internet connect. With my method, I only generate new study notes or gems on my phone. ONLY. (You will need to use a similar routine to keep up to date) This is how I do it.
On JW.Lib (phone), I then click on the 'Personal Study' tab {from the Top Left Home menu button}. Now go top right & click on the cloud symbol. 'Create' a backup. I use the free Google My Drive. I give it a new name like aaaDate.jwlibrary, as it lists them alphabetically. And I date it so I got a fall-back version. (It MUST end in xxx.jwlibrary eg: aaa2018-04-17.jwlibrary)
Now on the tablet, I click on 'Personal Study' tab, 'Restore' a backup. Use the Google 'My Drive' and select the file just created on the phone. It lists them alphabetically.
It will now import ALL your Personal Study notes or Gems from the phone to the tablet.
Here is the down side; It will overwrite all previous notes on your tablet.
So if you are on your tablet, make a note, it will not appear back on the phone, unless you do the whole process in reverse, but it will overwrite all notes now to match the tablet.
In my case, I used to forget which device I made the new note on. And the which way I last made a back-up (or sync) routine. So I decided to only make notes on one device, and I only create /restore in the same direction ie phone to tablet. This works for me . It is free. Hope it works for you.
As I understand the above link, I assume that it will check the dates of when the personal notes were made, and blend them and combine all notes, regardless of when it was made, or regardless of which device it originated on. Then you feed that master blended file back to all the devices...
Hope this helps. Any questions, please contact me. Agape. Tony.

Older

That's what another brother showed me, so if I'm stuck in my crane and on my phone making notes, I just do that and send from phone to tablet and back to phone

Yep. You just got to get your head around the difference between backup and restore v sync. This does not sync. It overwrites.
Once you understand that, you can make it work ...
One thing I am not sure on, so I am asking...

The jwlmerge routine, I see mention of notes and HIGHLIGHTS being synchronised. My Question:
If I highlight my study book or WT, will jwlmerge get my marked up books and WT to all my devices??

This would interest me..

TIA

Tony

Older

Yep. You just got to get your head around the difference between backup and restore v sync. This does not sync. It overwrites.

The jwlmerge routine, I see mention of notes and HIGHLIGHTS being synchronised. My Question:
If I highlight my study book or WT, will jwlmerge get my marked up books and WT to all my devices??

This would interest me..

TIA

Tony

Older

Totally understand the "over write" concept. I pretty much will make notes tho. I just like that it will send to my other device, I just use a different word in the verse to make my notes

6 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

This would interest me..

TIA

Tony

Older

If you have made notes on several devices, the JWLmerge will merge the backup files into a single file, then you use that as the restore file so you have the combined notes in each device that you restore.

Then you can manage the back up and restore as you describe or periodically use the merge.

If you have made notes....

Thanks for that info. More specially, does anyone know if Mark-ups from the WT or Study Books are merged as well?

So if I prepare my WT at work on my phone... HOW do I get them on my Tablet?

TIA

Tony

Older

30 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Thanks for that info. More specially, does anyone know if Mark-ups from the WT or Study Books are merged as well?

So if I prepare my WT at work on my phone... HOW do I get them on my Tablet?

If you 'Create a Backup' from JWLibrary on both devices, then use JWLMerge to merge the two file, you end up with a backup file that you can 'Restore" to any device and it will contain the all the info each backup file had.

I dragged and dropped two files into JWLMerge, this is what it looks like before merging them.

5ad7c2b3b8de5_JWLMerge.JPG.92ea5b785ca5fbc92991661c8e087caf.JPG

Edited by Tortuga

7 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

WOW

That sounds enticing to me now. Gems and Personal Study notes was my focus. It's been so long that l just always highlight on the tablet, I never considered other options.
This is great
Thanks forum
Thanks everyone

Older

I practiced with an older device first. After the merge file was created I restored it to the older device to verify it worked before I restored it to my other devices.

19 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Thanks for the tip.
All my devices are old! 🦖

Older

After you create your merge file, send it to me and I'll verify all of your study notes are there...:whistling:

• 4 months later...