JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Best Photo Image Viewer for Windows 10

Well, for some reason, all my Microsoft programs seem to have died. "Windows cannot open this file" or "Oops, something went wrong" lol - particularly the built-in Photos app and the built-in Movies & TV app. I can still open things in VLC, Adobe, etc.

So rather than fix them, again, I just want to replace them. VLC is best for video, but I want something quick to open images and video. I've narrowed it down to, and will start testing these....

1. Irfanview

2. XnView

3. FastStone

I was just curious if any of you use any of the above on your Windows device.

And as an aside, years ago I used to peruse download.com but boy is it useless today. The pages take forever to load and you are forced to watch videos. It's terrible.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On 5/26/2018 at 5:02 PM, Dismal_Bliss said:

Well, for some reason, all my Microsoft programs seem to have died. "Windows cannot open this file" or "Oops, something went wrong" lol - particularly the built-in Photos app and the built-in Movies & TV app. I can still open things in VLC, Adobe, etc.

So rather than fix them, again, I just want to replace them. VLC is best for video, but I want something quick to open images and video. I've narrowed it down to, and will start testing these....

1. Irfanview

2. XnView

3. FastStone

I was just curious if any of you use any of the above on your Windows device.

And as an aside, years ago I used to peruse download.com but boy is it useless today. The pages take forever to load and you are forced to watch videos. It's terrible.

I always tried to find some photo viewing program that will suit my taste... but i never found it. 

With win10 I cant stand the new photos program. But i really like the win7 default photo viewer. There's a way to restore it and use it on win10. 

Also, VLC is de facto the best app for any media playback, be it audio or video.

I did discover that the old version of the Windows 7 photo viewer happens to be included in Windows 10 as well. 

In the meantime, I have installed FastStone, and it is definitely fast. I like it so far. It also has a bunch of editing tools built in but I haven't used them yet.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I looked at FastStone - but was a little disappointed

When I read the description, I found that it will display pretty much all formats. It also was reported to have editing tools, resizing, image capture ... and more.

Sounded great .... until I went to the website and found that, to get all of what was described, you have to download four different programs, half of them are "shareware", not "freeware" like the actual viewer is.

Since I am not having any problems with my current viewer, I will have to give FastStone a little more thought before I download any of it

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 weeks later...

I gave a talk out of town Sunday.  The host brother said he was able to get his Windows video problems cured by unloading the Windows drivers and downloading suggested drivers for his device.  I don't know what unit he had or where online he located the correct drivers but it worked.  New video drivers and a new lease on life.