JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Wol.jw.org off line?

I have an iPhone 6 Plus and I was on it about 45 minutes ago and it worked just fine.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

2 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I have an iPhone 6 Plus and I was on it about 45 minutes ago and it worked just fine.

It works now on mine too. Probably was temporary issue and has been fixed. 

1 minute ago, Guri said:

It works now on mine too. Probably was temporary issue and has been fixed. 

Yeah, I think the iPhone 6’s will still be able to update until 2019. They are usually good for 5 years. Don’t quote me on that. I don’t plan on upgrading mine until it can’t update anymore. I’ve had it since 2014 and it works just fine.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

15 hours ago, Margaret said:

Explain Bob

I’m sure Bob meant that some servers being used by WOL are being upgraded. Rather than a OS update, it’s likely the server side software that controls its behavior, or it may be a database update, although I think that can be done live.

I would think there’s redundancy where a server can be taken offline and updated while the others will continue responding to accesses. After the update, they can be switched. I don’t know what limitations there are in doing live updates, but I can imagine that can cause odd issues with certain software.

Bob can chime in and explain in more detail, I’m sure. Not a specialty of mine. I’ve only dealt with local file servers, not web servers.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

23 hours ago, Margaret said:

Explain Bob

I mean that the Branch probably pulled the Watchtower Online Library offline on purpose to add more literature, languages, or functionality which would both require updating the database. This is similar to when I pull JWTalk offline when I do maintenance and upgrades.

23 hours ago, Guri said:

I think you are right brother. IPhone 10 should replace my old iPhone 6 :D and then I wouldn’t have this kind of problem :) 

Not your phone, you silly goose, lol :D

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

While it is true that some updates can be done live - there are some upgrades and maintenance that cannot be done while the system is active.

I get notices regularly from various places that I deal with that their system will be down for maintenance - like the bank, electric company, and such. I have even gotten them from Builder Assistant, the app used by the LDC - so, I am not surprised that the Branch occasionally has to take temporarily some systems offline to keep them running smoothly

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~