JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's your favorite kind of music?

Just wondering after reading a recent discussion what is your favorite type of music?? and what is it about that music that captivates you?
Quiet.....No sound:raspberry:

68088=3781-3.gif Seriously I like most types of music. But I have to be in the mood to listen.:popcorn:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I use to hate country music...then I got old. I love country music now. I like that I can identify with aot of the stories behind the music. Have you ever seen the Trace Adkins video "Songs About Me" check it out sometime. I think Bob A. shares my love of country music! LOL

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Just wondering after reading a recent discussion what is your favorite type of music?? and what is it about that music that captivates you?

I like something in every genre, and typically generalize myself by saying that I like ALL types of music. But this is not entirely true.

I grew up playing violin, guitar, bass, keyboard, and was in several choirs in school and in a handful of bands afterwards. I love art, and I fancy art that is weird and not easily interpreted. For me to like it, I have to feel that there is talent in the songwriting, the use of instruments, the vocals, etc. This rules out most popular music, because it was not written by an artist, but by individuals hired by a studio to write music that they could hand over to someone chosen to sing it for the sole purpose of selling records. It's not art, it is manufactured music - the difference I hear can be likened to the difference one can see in factory produced assemble yourself particle board furniture VS hand carved Amish oak that is the product of one mans time and vision.

This tends to rule out most country and rap for the same reason mentioned above. This also rules out heavy metal and head bangers music -> that being defined as nothing but screaming into a microphone and beating the death out of your instruments. You don't need a lick of talent to churn out that junk.

My favorite artist is Mike Patton. He has such diversity, being in several bands ranging from classical music to hard rock. He has the most amazing vocal skills I have ever heard, and he puts his "art" into all of his projects. I can listen to his bands all day, every day, and never get tired of them - and I own them all as well. Not all of it is kosher, and I have had to selectively listen to several hundred songs, deleting those that are not appropriate (although i do this with ALL artists I listen to).

I also like the Cure, some early Stone Temple Pilots (2nd album) and some eartly Alice in Chains (selectively speaking). Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Poe, Garbage, Bee Gees, Billy Joel, Guns N Roses (selective), Metallica (except for their worthless debut album, and their most recent worthless album, everything inbetween was decent), The Cranberries, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam, Kate Miller-Heidke, Lilly Allen, Merrill Bainbridge, No Doubt, and my new love - La Roux.

I am also obsessed with Les Miserable, am a fan of Phantom of the Opera, and still like Jesus Christ Superstar (haven't managed to shake it even after coming into the truth, but it is not all that bad, just a tad silly).

Diverse enough? I can go on :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Quiet.....No sound:raspberry:

68088=3781-3.gif Seriously I like most types of music. But I have to be in the mood to listen.:popcorn:

I like just quiet sometimes too.. lol and I do have to be in the mood also, otherwise just about anything will annoy the heck out of me.

signature2.jpg

I can say I like some of most types of music, although heavy metal and rap are not considered among those. lol most of the time though I have to be in the mood to listen to certain kinds of music.. when I just care to listen to music, I perfer the pop current stuff.. and Alternative.... I guess when someone asks I'd probably say Alternative Style, because even though it can be considered under pop it's not always. but I like artists such as Lifehouse, Daughtry, Breaking Benjamin, and I even like Metallica.. well some of it.. lol it's funny how they USED to be considered heavy metal.. lol as far as the genre of heavy metal, most of it just seems demonic to me.. even though I like bands such as Linkin Park who sometimes sounds like screaming they actually have songs that mean stuff.. lol

signature2.jpg

well, i like many others am a fan of decent music of almost any genre. ... literally hundreds of artists, free, zep, bad co, bb/freddie/albert king, muddy, govt mule, derek trucks, warren haynes, bonamassa, softer moments ... perhaps ray lamontagne, elvis costello, a bit of django rienhardt , the rosenberg trio, tommy emmanuel, jeff buckley, even a bit of the croon master that is bobby darin... allsorts.... anything decent as long as its not disco!!!!!! (sorry to you disco fans on here!)

much love

well, i like many others am a fan of decent music of almost any genre. ... literally hundreds of artists, free, zep, bad co, bb/freddie/albert king, muddy, govt mule, derek trucks, warren haynes, bonamassa, softer moments ... perhaps ray lamontagne, elvis costello, a bit of django rienhardt , the rosenberg trio, tommy emmanuel, jeff buckley, even a bit of the croon master that is bobby darin... allsorts.... anything decent as long as its not disco!!!!!! (sorry to you disco fans on here!)

much love

Some great stuff there,Stuart. Have you heard anything by Tim Buckley, Jeff's father? Great voice. His Song to the Siren is superb.

:)-D

I like something in every genre, and typically generalize myself by saying that I like ALL types of music. But this is not entirely true.

I grew up playing violin, guitar, bass, keyboard, and was in several choirs in school and in a handful of bands afterwards. I love art, and I fancy art that is weird and not easily interpreted. For me to like it, I have to feel that there is talent in the songwriting, the use of instruments, the vocals, etc. This rules out most popular music, because it was not written by an artist, but by individuals hired by a studio to write music that they could hand over to someone chosen to sing it for the sole purpose of selling records. It's not art, it is manufactured music - the difference I hear can be likened to the difference one can see in factory produced assemble yourself particle board furniture VS hand carved Amish oak that is the product of one mans time and vision.

This tends to rule out most country and rap for the same reason mentioned above. This also rules out heavy metal and head bangers music -> that being defined as nothing but screaming into a microphone and beating the death out of your instruments. You don't need a lick of talent to churn out that junk.

My favorite artist is Mike Patton. He has such diversity, being in several bands ranging from classical music to hard rock. He has the most amazing vocal skills I have ever heard, and he puts his "art" into all of his projects. I can listen to his bands all day, every day, and never get tired of them - and I own them all as well. Not all of it is kosher, and I have had to selectively listen to several hundred songs, deleting those that are not appropriate (although i do this with ALL artists I listen to).

I also like the Cure, some early Stone Temple Pilots (2nd album) and some eartly Alice in Chains (selectively speaking). Tori Amos, Fiona Apple, Poe, Garbage, Bee Gees, Billy Joel, Guns N Roses (selective), Metallica (except for their worthless debut album, and their most recent worthless album, everything inbetween was decent), The Cranberries, Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, Pearl Jam, Kate Miller-Heidke, Lilly Allen, Merrill Bainbridge, No Doubt, and my new love - La Roux.

I am also obsessed with Les Miserable, am a fan of Phantom of the Opera, and still like Jesus Christ Superstar (haven't managed to shake it even after coming into the truth, but it is not all that bad, just a tad silly).

Diverse enough? I can go on :)

Broadway all the way! I also love the 80's music! Big hair bands, rock ballads...... I love artists who are POWER singers, I like to feel the music, not just hear it! They need to BELT it out! I hate rap....ugh.... absolutely hate acid rock and there is not alot of classic rock that I like, except Creedance Clearwater Revival.... don't know why, memories, I guess! I like me some Creedance!.... gotta have a few beers when they're on! lol!:)-D

hi christopher, i dont know his stuff that well although remember listening to an album ... sorry, showing my age, a cd years ago. i love music i have to say, been in bands for years so i love making it as well as listening to it. i was an actually in a free/bad co sort of tribute act years ago, when i was part of the world.. i was the fat paul kossof! ...... paul was another that died far too young.

what other stuff do you like? im always open to stuff ive never heard before.:D

hi christopher, i dont know his stuff that well although remember listening to an album ... sorry, showing my age, a cd years ago. i love music i have to say, been in bands for years so i love making it as well as listening to it. i was an actually in a free/bad co sort of tribute act years ago, when i was part of the world.. i was the fat paul kossof! ...... paul was another that died far too young.

what other stuff do you like? im always open to stuff ive never heard before.:D

I am a real fan of Captain Beefheart's music; so innovative and influential, but not to everyone's taste! Then Dylan, of course, I have loads of his cds. Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Roxy Music, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel..............the list could go on and on!

roxy, gabriel/genesis gabriel era, floyd... all faves. i saw bonasmassa last year i think and ian anderson came on... bit of an excentric character!!!!

captian beefe... i tried "trout mask" and i didnt get it at all... still be boring if we all liked the same stuff eh brother? zz top playing as i type.... :ok:

I like everyone Christopher and Stuart mentioned,especially Bob Dylan...I love Neil Young

and the Band.Robbie Robertson...and right now I really love Tommy Emannuel...I saw him live

recently and he's incredible...very energetic, beats the heck out of his guitars...best acoustic guitarist

alive?Yeah...I think so...although there's a guy... he is very good...wow...Randall Avers (with Les Freres

Meduses from Norway ) ...he played Mozart live...all acoustic guitar ...at a wine and cheese event I attended.

I love the guitar...my husband plays an Ovation,finger style...he's very good.So..anything guitar is what

we listen to here.

yes, tommy is indeed one of the finest acoustic players there is, he plays a mean electric guitar as well. i think bob dylan is a fantastic songwriter altho im not that big a fan of his voice myself, think most of his great songs have been done best by other people. neil young-musical genius... randall avers? that a new one on me so thanx , will look him up. i am an electric guitar player and have just started (after gigging for getting on for 30 years) to try and develope my style to play acoustic... its literally a different instrument. im struggling with it at the moment but its fun to have a new musical challenge.

Here's a picture I took of my brother in law Chris playing with Tommy Emmanuel, They have become pretty good friends.We go see him whenever he's in town and then visit back stage. Chris has written several of the songs in our latest songbook.

68406=3794-Tommy Emmanuel -Feb.11,2010-0

yes, tommy is indeed one of the finest acoustic players there is, he plays a mean electric guitar as well. i think bob dylan is a fantastic songwriter altho im not that big a fan of his voice myself, think most of his great songs have been done best by other people. neil young-musical genius... randall avers? that a new one on me so thanx , will look him up. i am an electric guitar player and have just started (after gigging for getting on for 30 years) to try and develope my style to play acoustic... its literally a different instrument. im struggling with it at the moment but its fun to have a new musical challenge.

I bought my husband a new electric last year...he messed with it and just asked if I cared if he sold it and bought him a new

acoustic...electric is not for him...

I love Dylan's voice...my husband plays some Dylan for me and he can imitate him pretty good.