JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's your favorite kind of music?

I love everything except rubbish music from any particular genre.

At the moment I am into Breakbeat, Drum and Bass, Dub and Ambient/Organic Trance. I also like selective songs from Hard Rock/Rock music. My problem is that a lot of sifting has to be done with music with lyrics so i usually listen to non lyrical electronic music. It is much safer for me to do this. I do love a lovely nice tune with nice lyrics but i find it hard to listen to if the music is bad but the singing is good or if the music is good but the singing is bad.

Here are some bands/musicians i like with some artists i have to be selective with the certain songs but very often with electronic music i dont have to be selective i can just dance, relax, drive, have in the background and not have to worry about the content.

Sub Focus

Pendulum

Aphex Twin

Squarepusher

Too many DJs

Roni size

Jurassic 5

Eat static

Ozric Tentacles

Infected Mushroom

Chemical Brothers

Prodigy

Dreadzone Sounsystem

Beardyman

Freestylers

EZ Rollers

Bob Marley

Greenday

Nirvana

Metallica

Pearl Jam

Counting Crows

Presidents of the united states of america

Asian Dub Foundation

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Bush

Cassette Boy

Leftfield

Stevie Vai

Joe Satriani

Fun Lovin Criminals

Linkin Park

Skunk Anansie

Alanis Morrisette

Jimi hendrix

Reef

Micheal Jackson

Levellers

Armitage Skanks

Offspring

Rahzel the human beetbox

Papa Roach

the list goes on and on and on and on.............

If anyone wants to post their favourite music videos then you can do it in the music thread here if you want :- http://www.jwtalk.net/forum/read.php?48,55343

I can give thumbs up to the following....

Chemical Brothers

Prodigy

Greenday

Nirvana

Metallica

Pearl Jam

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Linkin Park

Alanis Morrisette

Micheal Jackson

Offspring

Rahzel the human beetbox

On that last note, Rahzel is just plain awesome. He is part of one of Mike Patton's projects called Peeping Tom and does all the percussion beats. My wife and I went to see Faith No More in Philidelphia in the summer of 2010 when the were doing their reunion tour, and Rahzel was one of the opening acts (the other opening act was just plain offensive). Rahzel is even more awesome live.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

In Holland we have now the Top 2000.

It starts on 25Th of December midnight and its ending on midnight 31Th of December.

24 ours a day for 8 days all kinds of music.

We don't watch TV but listen to the radio, quiet time and some of the most beautiful music is passing by.

Maybe you can listen as well: http://top2011.radio2.nl/

Loïs

Here's a picture I took of my brother in law Chris playing with Tommy Emmanuel' date=' They have become pretty good friends.We go see him whenever he's in town and then visit back stage. Chris has written several of the songs in our latest songbook.

68406=3794-Tommy Emmanuel -Feb.11,2010-0 [/quote'] Which one is who? And who is Tommy Emmanuel?

I like everything except Rap and Country.

The louder the better, the stronger the bass the better!!!

I have a lot of favorite groups of whom I have be careful with. LOL

Mostly 70's and 80's hard rock/metal/classic rock.

I am getting into the current day dance music:

Lady Gaga

LMFAO

Katy Perry

Hot Chelle Ray

Bruno Mars and many many more.

• 6 months later...

Hi Nancy,

Well, I have several favorites. In opera, my favorite is "Turandot."

Symphonies, the favorite for many many yrs. haven't found one that will replace it, it is the Brahms #1 in C Minor

Next to that is Itzak Perlman's rendition of Mendelsohn Concerto in E Minor,

and most of Gilbert & Sullivan. I say most because I do not like "Cox & Box," or "The Gondoliers." "Yeoman of the Guard" has a very sad ending.

Of course I can't leave out Andre' Rieu, & the Johann Strauss Orchestra, the Scottish Fiddle Orchestra., or Caledon.

Let's not forget Celtic Thunder, the Irish Tenors, or Il Volo.

All beautiful music, & clean.

A Few anniversaries ago my hubby took me to see Dire Straits. my first concert they were awesome. Such a sweet sound to the gutiar..

I love Chris Issac. saw one of his concerts In Wollongong.

I love Brad Paisley... Probably only country i like...But The Shadows..Beach boys...Bee Gees..Jan & dean, Venturers...Faith Hill, Patrizo Buanne.

I love to listen to Italian style..I am not sure what you call it. Its not Opera...But I like music that makes you happy and leaves you happy. Elvis, Roy Orbison..AIr Supply..A little Kylie Minogue ....When I need to get cleaning or thru traffic, I like Ride of the Valkarie's and The theme From Macgyver....

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Hello Gabe,

In listing the music I liked, How could I ever have forgotten ELVIS ! I could watch "Blue Hawaii" almost forever.

I also like The Ride of the Valkyries. It is the 3rd section of 4 operas by Wagner. All 4 together, it is called "The Ring."

It is very long. When done by "The Met.," takes 3-4 nites to see it all, at 2hrs. each. The Valkyrie are a set of sisters one called Brunhilde who ride up from the underground, & take the dead wariors down to Valhalla, [warrior heaven]. It also includes "Lohengrin," which we always hear as a wedding march, & "The Priests March," we always hear at graduations.

Does anyone like Aida ? I love the "Grand March." Turandot is still my favorite though.

I like opera very much too, although I am not keen on Wagner. Favourites would include Tosca and The Barber Of Seville. I am really enjoying modern opera too: Philip Glass' "Akhnaten" and I have recordings of performances of his not-yet-recorded "Appomattox" and "The Fall Of The House Of Usher". I have seen "Satyagraha" and "In The Penal Colony", and would have liked to go to "Einstein On The Beach" this year in London, but it is out of my reach financially.

John Adams is another modern composer I like. His operas "Nixon In China" and "Doctor Atomic" I have seen at English National Opera.

I am starting to get to grips with some modern classical music too. Listening to some more challenging works by Boulez, Dessau, Baird, Babbitt and Varese, among others. (My wife cannot stand Varese, btw but I find his music fascinating.)

Hello Christopher,

I love Poe. I read "The Fall of the House of Usher" so many times ! Didn't know it was made into an opera. I also love his poetry. "Leonore," about the death of his sister, is very sad, I don't get out very much, & haven't gotten to hear any of the modern composers, except for A. L. Webber, Copeland, & Bernstein.

Musicians I also like are David Garrett, Joshua Bell, Andre' Rieu,Andrea Boccelli.

Also like Tosca,,& The Barber of Seville. "Barber" was one of my mother's favorites too. She was very instrumental in introducing us to good literature, & music.

Like Bob we like a mix of Rock and Pop genres. In UK we have a great radio station called Classic FM. It plays classics that are well known and popular or real calming chillout type music as well as most of the popular arias from operas. We love it in fact we bought the classic FM Chillout box set, so we can listen in the car as the hills round here lose the radio signal too regularly.

My other favourite chillout composer is the late great John Barry who wrote so many great big orchestra numbers for some of the greatest movies - in fact his music is a great part of movies like James Bond; those starring Michael Caine; Born Free; Out of Africa;Dances with Wolves, etc. He also just wrote music to enjoy listening to, one of my favourites - and it's difficult to choose from such a large collection of good stuff, is his 'Beyondness of Things.' has such depth if you've good loudspeakers:

My other favourites are on the other Music video thread on this forum with other great stuff from Tommy Emmanual; Queen; Nina; Vangelis;

I loved your music. Have you heard the fairly new trio called Il Volo ? They are very good also. They have been on the PBS stations here recently. There is also a Scottish trio called Caledon. I have a tape of them singing with the Scottish Fiddle Orchestra. I don't have anything by Il Volo yet, But will soon.

• 4 years later...

Listen to Bob Dylan's scholarly Nobel lecture that he delivered to the Royal Swedish Academy and the Nobel Foundation on the relationship between his music and literature. 26 minutes of great rhetorics.

http://www.svenskaakademien.se/nobelforelasning-2016

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

My taste of music is very multifaceted - it´s faster to list the styles I don´t like (heavy metal, country & German folk :sick:).

Well, if I just go to the playlists I´ve created on my Smartphone, among others I can find these folders:

• ABBA
  • Aerosmith
  • Beatles
  • Bon Jovi
  • Camila (a Mexican band)
  • David Bustamante
  • Jackson (Michael & The Jackson 5)
  • Juanes
  • Kingdom melodies
  • Luis Fonsi
  • Malú
  • Meat Loaf
  • Mix (= a little bit of everything that doesn´t fit to one of the other folders, also a big mix of styles)
  • Phil Collings & Genesis
  • Pink
  • Queen
  • Roxette
  • Savage Garden
  • The 80s
  • Whitney Houston

followed by all playlists of Greek artists I like.

There are also some individual songs I simply love - without considering the music style, it´s just the song itself:

• To the moon and back (Savage Garden)
  • Nothing else matters (Metallica)
  • November rain (Guns´n´Roses)
  • Runaway train (Soul Asylum)
  • Cats in the cradle (Ugly kid Joe)
  • Don´t speak (No doubt)
  • Sometimes love ain´t enough (Wendy May)
  • Wonderwall (Oasis)
  • Hole in my Soul (Aerosmith)
  • Spending my time (Roxette)

... and many more ...

I guess it´s because all of them remind me of a special situation or time period of my life - that´s a very important part of what makes some songs "burn" into my brain and heart...

Everytime I listen to them, I do some kind of "time travel" to that certain moment I connect the song with.

Edited by coonie77

Chrissy :wave: