JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Australia's latest Prime Minister and Religion

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2018 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The latest prime minister is, apparently, a religious man!!  He and his family belong to, and are regular attenders, at Pentecostal church of the Assembly of God denomination. This was predominantly stated when he was introduced as our new prime minister.

When he first took office, a mere 2 weeks ago, the priest? of his church said he would not be be influencing him or getting involved in any way with his politics. Good on him for doing what he should. :whistling::P

That aside, I do find it interesting that this has popped up: 

https://www.watoday.com.au/politics/federal/scott-morrison-vows-to-change-laws-on-religious-freedom-but-won-t-be-a-culture-warrior-pm-20180907-p502da.html

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has vowed to change laws to protect religious freedom while assuring voters he will not be a "culture warrior" on divisive social issues.

"At the end of the day, if you’re not free to believe in your own faith, well, you’re not free."

The comments are the first sign Mr Morrison will act on calls from church groups and others to enshrine religious freedom in the law, despite a campaign from others to stop "discriminatory religious demands".

Mr Morrison told Fairfax Media he would have "more to say" on the stronger laws but gave an unequivocal "yes" on the need for the changes and argued that children in public schools should not face curbs on Christian traditions.

"Like anyone else, they should be able to do Christmas plays, they should be able to talk about Easter. That’s our culture. There’s nothing wrong with that," he said.

"The narcs can leave those things alone. If you want to send your child to a Christian school, you have the choice to do that and you can go and do it."

"There are plenty of people who will write long articles about these things which can tickle the ears of those who are particularly interested in them. That’s not to say these issues are not important.  (A fabulous misapplication of scripture in that sentence). 

The National Council of Churches in Australia told the inquiry that people of faith were concerned about a "growing level of intolerance" in the community.

"We are seeing more abuse of people because of their religion, both verbal and physical," the council said.

Church leaders urged the inquiry to legislate freedom of religion, freedom of speech in support of traditional marriage, freedom of parental rights to choose schools that support traditional marriage, freedom for schools to employ only those teachers who supported traditional marriage and freedom to teach religious traditions.

In one submission, the Condell Park Bible Church in western Sydney warned that anti-discrimination laws would lead to a "dominant viewpoint" being enforced upon people who wanted to live their Christian faith and hold to traditional marriage.

The demand for a new "religious freedom" law is being resisted by civil liberties groups and marriage equality campaigners, with the Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays telling the inquiry there were already laws to protect freedom.

"We like to believe Australia governs with a separation between church and state which allows people, religious or otherwise, the freedom to be themselves without interference," wrote the advocacy group's national spokeswoman Shelley Argent.

"Discrimination is a choice. Religious groups and individuals may choose to discriminate but a true Christian would never do so." ????  (Bold and question marks mine.)

(I can't find the words to say what I really feel about that last sentence but I will say that when it comes to discrimination, that 'advocacy group' needs to have a good hard look both at itself and its followers because what I will say is that when it comes to discrimination, it ain't so snowy white. More a dark and dirty muddy grey.)

"And if this review continues providing religious groups and individuals the privilege to discriminate, it is not what we as a nation would call fair and not what people voted for in the unwanted postal survey."  (a reference to the gay marriage referendum from last year)

I am so glad Jehovah has got all this in hand because it confuses the heck out of me

Edited by Shawnster

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

12 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Wow! I didn't know that about Sco-Mo (Scott Morrison in Aussie slang).  He has always come across as anything but "Christian" in his policies re turning boats back, etc. But why am I even surprised?  Neutral, neutral, neutral! 🤐

I don't have an opinion on him, his politics or religion ... or any of the other performers in the Canberra kindergarten come to that. 

My interest in this lies in the fact that, here we are waiting for the nations to turn on religion, and here he is advocating 'Christianity'. 

I actually have no idea what his policies are.  I didn't even know he existed till he became PM ... that's when I Googled him, to find out who this totally unknown person  actually was and discovered he was treasurer? I think it was, under MalBull. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

8 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Wow! I didn't know that about Sco-Mo (Scott Morrison in Aussie slang).  He has always come across as anything but "Christian" in his policies re turning boats back, etc. But why am I even surprised?  Neutral, neutral, neutral! 🤐

Not for my benefit I hope hahahaha.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

• 2 weeks later...