JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Typhoon in Asia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2040 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Dear Sister, Jehovah also has the lives of our friends in the Philippines and Lower China, where a new typhoon has already hit the Philippines and now China coast line.  I know there are a few of our dear sister's and brothers working under ground there (China) and they need our prayers too.  Goodness, I hope this satanic world is ending soon!

Here in Malaysia where we have never experienced a typhoon (Asia's equivalent of hurricane) I feel so scared looking at what is happening in Philippines, Hong Kong and Southern China. I have read that Philippines have more than 20 typhoons a year, 5 of which are destructive.

I have been to Manila and have seen a family with young children sleeping in front of shophouses.  The parents would pull out a double mattress for the whole family to sleep on, with no defences to protect them from the elements. One who imagine what happens  to such families when a typhoon hits that sprawling metropolis. The realities would be too horrendous to contemplate. It is an image that still haunts me after all these years and I'm truly grateful for having a house to stay in. A lot of people do not even have that luxury, sleeping on 5 foot way or under the bridge (shudder)

Sorry I didn't even know the correct spelling for swathe!

image.png.bd68c96469e0fcbe1e935fcbe3560b8c.png

Earthquake in the island of Lombok, Indonesia

Last Friday, I was robbed while walking from the bus stop to my house, 400 m away. I was so traumatised by the incident, even though it is the 4th time I have been a victim of snatch thieves. But all this pales in significance to the suffering that others suffered during natural diasasters.

Unless one personally experienced the tragedy, it is hard to imagine the horrors and fright that stays with them for the rest of their lives.

I got my first experience of a earthquake while on holiday alone in Brastagi, Indonesia. One local sister invited me to stay one night in her wooden house. While out buying steamed corn on the roadside, the ground started shaking violently. I was shaken to the core. Still I had the presence of mind to tell the lady that I wanted to cancel my order. Truly, a earth shattering experience. (Malaysia does not lie in that Pacific Ring of Fire)

Fearful events are happening as the end draws near. Yes, a sign of the times.

Let us cleave closer to Jehovah, our Grand creator and to each other. May we be a source of comfort and support to each other during these trying times.

(Actually, the reason I replied to your post was because I haven't commented for a while now and I was warned I might be bumped off this site for being inactive. Now I seem to have overstayed my welcome on this thread. So don't indulge me by answering. Thank you for taking the time to reply. It meant a lot to me.😍

Glad to know the tropical depression decided to bypass Maryland. Thanks be to God for small mercies.

Warm regards and stay strong.

Anne

Edited by MikkiSoo

error in grammar

I see Baltimoresun.com spelt it as swath. What  a relief.

Sorry I just found out that I was misinformed. West Maryland may have to experience the devastating remnants of Florence. I know absolutely nothing of Maryland except that I had googled the map of the Eastern states while reading the autobiographies of Abraham Lincoln (Fred Kaplan and Doris Kearns Goodwin)

Good day to you. Stay safe.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:06 AM, MikkiSoo said:

' the autobiographies of Abraham Lincoln (Fred Kaplan and Doris Kearns Goodwin)'

Oops, a slip up there. I meant biographies. Bear with me, dear native speakers of English.

18 hours ago, carlos said:

I split these posts into a new topic since they don't have anything to do with expressing appreciation for the new NWT.

Please feel free to continue the discussion. :)

Sorry, Brother Carlos. I'm quite new here and I kinda of ramble on and went off topic. Thanks for your kind assistance. Adios and have a nice day, trying to corral back some folks who tend to wander off, any which way. Good day to you and your fine team of industrious administrators.