JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"The Stilling" - Global Terrestrial Stilling of winds

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2007 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This phenomena is still being studied, and at this stage scientists have inconclusive results on whether it is actually happening as the data seems to indicate.  Stilling, or more correctly Global Terrestrial Stilling, "is the decrease of wind speed observed near the Earth's surface (~10-meter height) over the last three decades (mainly since the 1980s)".  It has been noted in both the northern and southern hemispheres, but only over land not the oceans.  Which is why scientists are looking into compiling more accurate data to better assess what is actually happening, and how this will impact human life on earth.

"The "global terrestrial stilling" phenomenon is of great scientific, socioeconomic, and environmental interest because of the key impact of even small wind speed changes on atmospheric and ocean dynamics and related fields such as: (i) renewable wind energy; (ii) agriculture and hydrology due to evapotranspiration; (iii) migration of wind-dispersed plant species; (iv) wind-related natural disasters; (v) marine and coastal impacts due to wind-driven storm surges and waves; (vi) dispersion of air pollutants; among many other socioeconomic and environmental spheres. " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_terrestrial_stilling

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-27/land-wind-speeds-slowing-down-over-land-the-stilling/10392980

I know we've just seen how hurricanes/typhoons have wreaked havoc in the US and Asia, but this phenomena is over land.  It may be another one of the natural balances breaking down, the impact of man's mismanagement.  And it may have a bearing on how volatile our weather patterns have been getting.  A part of the puzzle that is the last days. Don't know yet.

I wonder if the jetstreams or what do you call it? The trade winds? Maybe they are slowing down. I've noticed the stillness here too ... like everything is just hanging because there's no wind. But being nearish the sea, we still get the odd sea breeze.

Interesting ... I'm guessing they are going to come up with a lot more terms as the weather unpatterns play out.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

We had little to no wind in Bavaria this year, as far as I could tell.

Kind of reminds you of

After this I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding tight the four winds of the earth, so that no wind could blow on the earth or on the sea or on any tree.

Revelation 7:1