JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ancestry doesn't permit you to import your raw DNA.  You can with others, like FamilyTree, but not them.

Oh? They must have changed that recently. When I first did my DNA, I was able to request an email copy of my raw data. I don't know what to do with it, but I got a copy....

Just Older

7 hours ago, futurepromise said:

doesn't permit you to import your raw DNA

We don't accept blood transfusions....:whistling::lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, Margaret said:

But how do I download the raw dna results from AncestryDNA and upload to myheritage 

https://support.ancestry.com/s/article/Downloading-Raw-DNA-Data-1460089696533

Hope this link works for you.  I downloaded mine from ancestry and uploaded to

Myheritage.  Got results within 24 hours

Don't forget to check spam folder in email if don't see email from ancestry.  

Edited by Bubbles

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

I should have clarified that it was over a year ago that I downloaded my raw dna from ancestry dna and uploaded to Myheritage.  At that time uploads were free but I think Myheritage may charge now.  ( I had also bought a  kit from Myheritage a few years ago so comparison were interesting).  You can also upload to dna land and gedmatch.  Both of those are free but you may want to check out the privacy issues first.  And gedmatch can be a little confusing because there are so many calculators.  For me, those two agreed more closely with Myheritage results.  

Edited by Bubbles

Downloading raw DNA data to your computers is not the same as importing it to another internet site.

DNA data from other websites cannot be uploaded to Ancestry®. You can download your raw data for free, regardless of whether or not you have a subscription. People usually download their DNA data either because they want to upload it to another site or because they’re familiar with DNA science and can understand the information. Because other companies don't use the same algorithms, database, or data translation methods, your results may differ on another site.

Edited by futurepromise

adding information

If I understood sister Margaret correctly, that's what she's wanting to do.  Download her raw dna from ancestry DNA so she can upload to Myheritage.  Myheritage does accept uploads from ancestry DNA.  So does dna land and gedmatch. Once you download your raw dna, do NOT extract the file.  You can use your raw dna  for each of the above places.  They will tell you how to upload it to their site.    I've uploaded my raw dna from ancestry dna to all those sites.

35 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

I'll just link this thread, as my results are already there :P 

https://jwtalk.net/topic/29535-my-ancestry-dna-results/

Have u uploaded to any other sites and if so were the results similar?  I asked because I tested with ancestry DNA and Myheritage both and got different results. Since my mother was adopted we do not know our ethnicities from her side but we do know my paternal grandmother came from Sweden.  Word of mouth and paper trail concur.  My paternal great grandmother came from Norway.  Word of mouth and paper concur.  Ancestry shows me only 5% Sweden and that's after their recent update.  None before.  My father would have been half Swede (grandmother Swede only) and at least 1/4 Norwegian.   I know we get 50% from each parent but not necessary equal amounts, so I  may not have received 1/4 Swede but 5% seems very unlikely.  Myheritage did not break down  my Scandinavian but does show me  53.3% Scandinavian. (Think that's a little high)  Curious how accurate other people's results are.  

Edited by Bubbles