JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ancestry website often have deals... so I'm hoping that in the new year they may have a half price sell or something similar... I think it's time I took the test. 

I've done the family tree a lot of it with help from a dear brother 🤗 

It leads me to France and also Norway/Sweden/ Denmark.... at one time my mother had blood analysed for some reason? And the markers came back showing the Viking connection so I'd love to know for sure..

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

https://geneticsdigest.com/best_ancestry_dna_test_b/index.html

#1 CRI Genetics

cri-logo3.jpg

stars-5.png 4.9/5
Overall Rating: Excellent

Company Reputation:stars-5.png
Customer Reviews:stars4.5.png
Speed Of Results:stars-5.png
Detail In Reportstars4.5.png
Privacy Levelstars4.5.png
Guarantee:Results In 8 weeks

#1 Top DNA Test: CRI Genetics

Pros: 
• Patented DNA Analysis Technology
• Autosomal, mtDNA, and Y-DNA Tests Offered
• Headed by Legitimate Professional Geneticist
• “Efficiency Guarantee” Refund Policy

Cons: 
• Frequently Backordered
• mtDNA and Y-DNA Tests not always available

See Details 

#2 Family Tree DNA

familytree.jpg

stars-4-3.png 4.3/5 Stars 
Overall Rating: Good

Company Reputation:stars-4.png
Customer Reviews:stars-4-5.png
Speed Of Results:stars-3-9.png
Detail In Reportstars-3-5.png
Privacy Levelstars-4-3.png
Guarantee:N/A

Pros:
• Large Database of Users

Cons: 
• Confusing to Navigate Multitude of Packages
• Limited Return Policy with Fees 

See Details 

#3 Living DNA

livingdna.jpg

stars-3-9.png 3.9/5 Stars
Overall Rating: Excellent

Company Reputation:stars-4.png
Customer Reviews:stars-3-5.png
Speed Of Results:stars-3-9.png
Detail In Reportstars-3-2.png
Privacy Levelstars-4-3.png
Guarantee:N/A

Pros:
• Unique Advanced Software

Cons: 
• UK-based
• Vague Claims About Testing Method and Results

See Details 

12 hours ago, anniebea said:

Ancestry website often have deals... so I'm hoping that in the new year they may have a half price sell or something similar... I think it's time I took the test. 

I've done the family tree a lot of it with help from a dear brother 🤗 

It leads me to France and also Norway/Sweden/ Denmark.... at one time my mother had blood analysed for some reason? And the markers came back showing the Viking connection so I'd love to know for sure..

Most of them currently have deals leading up to Christmas when they will finish.  Ancestry is GBP63 at the moment, not sure what it is in Euro. :) 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Well, without using those kits I have a pretty idea of my heritage.

My mother's mom is Sioux, her dad is Cherokee. My dad's mom's folks are from Barbados, his dad is Caucasian. 

Sooo I guess that makes me a mutt, lol, lol. 

But seriously this makes me all the more anxious for the resurrection to start for then, in time, I'll be able to meet the whole clan! 

7 hours ago, Luezette said:

But seriously this makes me all the more anxious for the resurrection to start for then, in time, I'll be able to meet the whole clan! 

I'm looking forward to that as well. In the meatime, I do enjoy finding out where I have come from.  I have traced some of my ancestors back to the 16th century. :D

On 12/2/2018 at 10:05 AM, GeordieGirl said:

I'm looking forward to that as well. In the meatime, I do enjoy finding out where I have come from.  I have traced some of my ancestors back to the 16th century. :D

That's pretty good.  So did you find anyone of particular interest?

1 hour ago, Naturale said:

That's pretty good.  So did you find anyone of particular interest?

I did actually.  My grand aunt was married to someone who was descended from Edward IV and Henry VII. 

Her mother, my great grandmother, was the first woman to drive in Sussex and her husband, my great grandfather,  who was a stock jobber, started the London Stock Exchange London to Brighton Walk.  He also raced bicycles and co-wrote a book with a famous cyclist called George Lacey Hillier. His, my great-grandfather's, Penny Farthing is owned by the Amberley Museum and currently on loan to the Worthing Museum.

His sister, my great-grand aunt was married to a very wealthy man called William Mosenthal, who, along with my 2x great grandfather, the father of this line, (this is the Jewish line of my OP) had a lot to do with South African diamond mining.  They owned a house in Berkshire called Tittenhurst which was once owned by the Cadbury family and later bought by the Beatles and turned into a recording studio.

There is heaps more stuff but I don't want to bore you with tales of my ancestry.  It is exciting, though, to find ancestors that had a bit more than a run of the mill life. :) 

29 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

I did actually.  My grand aunt was married to someone who was descended from Edward IV and Henry VII. 

Her mother, my great grandmother, was the first woman to drive in Sussex and her husband, my great grandfather,  who was a stock jobber, started the London Stock Exchange London to Brighton Walk.  He also raced bicycles and co-wrote a book with a famous cyclist called George Lacey Hillier. His, my great-grandfather's, Penny Farthing is owned by the Amberley Museum and currently on loan to the Worthing Museum.

His sister, my great-grand aunt was married to a very wealthy man called William Mosenthal, who, along with my 2x great grandfather, the father of this line, (this is the Jewish line of my OP) had a lot to do with South African diamond mining.  They owned a house in Berkshire called Tittenhurst which was once owned by the Cadbury family and later bought by the Beatles and turned into a recording studio.

There is heaps more stuff but I don't want to bore you with tales of my ancestry.  It is exciting, though, to find ancestors that had a bit more than a run of the mill life. :) 

That's fantastic. You did well to find all that out.   No it doesn't bore me at all, on the contrary.   Would be good if you found out you were the legal heir to something and in for a shed load of cash :D 

Just recently we had a sister visit here from California as she knew that her great great grandad was from here.  I managed to find on the internet her family tree as someone here had already done it.  It was so interesting and it turned out he was a bible scholar.  

I hardly know anything about my family history.  My grandad on my mothers side was olive skinned and black haired, black flashing eyes.  He seemed to have a natural criminal type of personality :D   I would love to know where his family originated but no-one ever seemed to know anything except it was rumoured his mother was a Jewess.  

Edited by Naturale

10 hours ago, Naturale said:

That's fantastic. You did well to find all that out.   No it doesn't bore me at all, on the contrary.   Would be good if you found out you were the legal heir to something and in for a shed load of cash :D 

Just recently we had a sister visit here from California as she knew that her great great grandad was from here.  I managed to find on the internet her family tree as someone here had already done it.  It was so interesting and it turned out he was a bible scholar.  

I hardly know anything about my family history.  My grandad on my mothers side was olive skinned and black haired, black flashing eyes.  He seemed to have a natural criminal type of personality :D   I would love to know where his family originated but no-one ever seemed to know anything except it was rumoured his mother was a Jewess.  

I have a couple of naughty peeps in my ancestry, too. :lol:  The crimes they got 6 months in jail for back then would be laughed out of court these days.  How degenerate the world has become.

If you were to start doing your family tree, you could well find out a lot.  It's amazing how many distant cousins we all have.  I 'met' one of mine who lives in Mexico because I bought a book from Amazon that a mutual ancester wrote, and I left a review.  She came across it and contacted me. Her 2x great grandfather is my 3x great grandfather so we are 4th cousins. I knew that some ancestors had gone to Mexico but never expected to meet a relation on Amazon. :D

There are many free sites that you can start researching on, you don't have to pay for a subscription initially though later on you would probably want to.

Edited by GeordieGirl

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:08 AM, GeordieGirl said:

I know this will be terribly boring to many but I feel I have to share it with you anyway.

I love history in general and also my own and have been doing my family tree for about 20 years, off and on.

I decided it was time to take a DNA test.  Because I am female I can only get my maternal line, I am trying to organise one of my 2 remaining brothers to do our paternal line.

Anyhoo! the maternal results are in:

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe - 58%

Ireland & Scotland - 38%

European Jewish - 4%

Guess which one fascinates me the most!!! :D

I have been doing genealogy since 1990. I finally got the ancestry DNA test for myself and my wife. I have learned a lot since then. DNA will not show you exactly where all your ancestors come from. You inherit 50% of your DNA from each parent randomly. You don't need to be concerned that you 'can only get [your] maternal line. 50% of you DNA comes from your mother (randomly) and 50% from your mother (randomly). (You may be thinking of the mitochondrial DNA for women, but that is only a small part of the DNA. You still get a random 50% of you DNA from your father. Getting a random 50% means that you may get DNA results different from your siblings even if they are the same sex.

My DNA was originally said to be 29% Scandinavian, but further analysis as more people did the tests showed that the Scandinavian was actually not there. (This makes me wonder about all the names I found in my genealogy that have Scandinavian origins.)

I have seen the Ancestry DNA recently advertised for as low as $49.00, but that sale may have ended.

My most recent results show:

Great Britain 69%   (Increased by 44%)

Ireland/Scotland/Wales 31%   (Increased by 11%)

The difference between my sisters and my DNA test were only a few % points.

Interesting mix... 1a9a092501d0a52e3bb1756b2bac6dd5.jpg&key=bbec0a4aba896ce51f7e7a929d13fec5073fc0ac2dab094546ac68259b40c9e0

Older {waiting for wiser}

My sister (with the long green trail)

I think the more samples they get, the more info they put into the graphics. It is very different from my first graphic (quite some years ago) dd0db62066939e04bad0579e8a25d640.jpg

1 hour ago, Witness1970 said:

I have been doing genealogy since 1990. I finally got the ancestry DNA test for myself and my wife. I have learned a lot since then. DNA will not show you exactly where all your ancestors come from. You inherit 50% of your DNA from each parent randomly. You don't need to be concerned that you 'can only get [your] maternal line. 50% of you DNA comes from your mother (randomly) and 50% from your mother (randomly). (You may be thinking of the mitochondrial DNA for women, but that is only a small part of the DNA. You still get a random 50% of you DNA from your father. Getting a random 50% means that you may get DNA results different from your siblings even if they are the same sex.

My DNA was originally said to be 29% Scandinavian, but further analysis as more people did the tests showed that the Scandinavian was actually not there. (This makes me wonder about all the names I found in my genealogy that have Scandinavian origins.)

My most recent results show:

Great Britain 69%   (Increased by 44%)

Ireland/Scotland/Wales 31%   (Increased by 11%)

Yes, I realise I made an error in my OP but it was too late to edit it so I didn't worry about it.

Having done the autosomal DNA, I now want to do the mtDNA and get my half brother to do the YDNA so I can see which comes from where .. though I know my 4% Jewish comes from my maternal line. 

Ancestry were criticised for excessive Scandinavian results in their old testing.  Since upgrading their technology this has been narrowed down and more accurate ethnicity is recorded. After uploading my raw DNA to MyHeritage, I also had a large amount of Scandi in my results.

I don't know where you originally came from before your ancestors arrived in the US but if you originally came from somewhere in the UK, bear in mind that over 1000 years ago, Britain was invaded by the Danes initially and then by the Nords in 1066, which could account for the Scandinavian DNA appearing in the broader test results.

Edited by GeordieGirl

I listen to a sports podcast and one of the co-hosts wives thought she was of Italian background & was very proud of her background and was never shy about representing her heritage.

She decided to do the DNA test and turns out she was only 10% Italian and 90% Irish . According to the co-host she was so upset she actually started to get depressed!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

https://us.wakeupyourmind.net/life/new-theory-suggests-people-with-rh-negative-blood-type-have-dna-not-from-earth/

Found this on another thread. I thought I'd post it here in case you were interested.

Older {waiting for wiser} emoji1353.png

Yes, I've seen that. I commented on it. :) 

3 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

https://us.wakeupyourmind.net/life/new-theory-suggests-people-with-rh-negative-blood-type-have-dna-not-from-earth/

Found this on another thread. I thought I'd post it here in case you were interested.

Older {waiting for wiser} emoji1353.png

My mother is rhesus negative so she was fortunate that I was a girl and not a boy due to the problems there can be at birth. .  I don't know what I am as I've never been tested. The thing about blood groups though contrary to popular belief is that they can change.

My wife thought she was Mexican and Lithuanian with a little French and Italian.

It turns out she is 60% French, a little Spanish,  a little British and just barely a trace of every thing else. No Italian. :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I was listening to the same podcast episode I mentioned earlier and one of the co-hosts said he refuses to do the test because that would mean that a company now has access to your DNA, which is something I never thought about.

Is that something that one should worry about re: someone having access to your own DNA?  Maybe I worry too much but not sure how I feel about that actually being out there.

Being adopted, my DNA is something I have def thought about, almost daily.  I know a little bit about my roots (British, Scottish) but it is very vague.  Sometimes I think I must also have Irish somewhere down the line because of my temper (and love for Guinness...:D).

Along the same lines there is a company out of Toronto that actually provides DNA testing for your dog.  Apparently it can pick up the 3 most highest breed levels that your dog's DNA has: https://www.easydna.ca/dna-my-dog-breed-test/  - we were told our little fur baby is Bichon x Maltese but I am positive she has Pit Bull somewhere because she's a fighter lol!

5 minutes ago, Cheeks said:

Is that something that one should worry about re: someone having access to your own DNA? 

I think we discussed that in one of the other DNA threads and discovered that a lot of people do not want anyone to have access to their DNA results.

I use to work with several people that refused to participate in any free Health Screening provided by our employer. The free blood test was intended to help the employees determine if they needed to make lifestyle changes and live a healthier life. However, several people were convinced the company was secretly screening for potential medical issues that might affect their career and medical coverage. They felt the company may plan to terminate anyone that might develop medical issues that could affect their job performance, job attendance or medical coverage costs.

It's hard to say if they were right or wrong...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 hours ago, Cheeks said:

I was listening to the same podcast episode I mentioned earlier and one of the co-hosts said he refuses to do the test because that would mean that a company now has access to your DNA, which is something I never thought about.

Is that something that one should worry about re: someone having access to your own DNA?  Maybe I worry too much but not sure how I feel about that actually being out there.

Being adopted, my DNA is something I have def thought about, almost daily.  I know a little bit about my roots (British, Scottish) but it is very vague.  Sometimes I think I must also have Irish somewhere down the line because of my temper (and love for Guinness...:D).

Most genealogical sites do not screen for medical issues and there are also boxes to tick to allow for different permissions. You don't even have to allow matching with likely cousins if you don't want to.  I am quite a private/paranoid person when it comes to my privacy but this really didn't worry me. To be honest, I'm more concerned about what Google and FB knows about me and does with my information.  I think they are far less secure.

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/legal/PrivacyForAncestryDNATesting

https://www.myheritage.com/privacy-policy

I had mine done with you.23andme.com.  It was really good.  I thought it was thorough.  But, I am a little worried since I had so many different groups under my DNA.  I think there were 8 different areas my family is from.  :) They do test for carrier status of 43 different variants that I could have passed on to my boys.  Overall, I was happy with finding out the results.  My results were definitely different than we expected.  All in all, it was fun.   

17 hours ago, Cheeks said:

Along the same lines there is a company out of Toronto that actually provides DNA testing for your dog.  Apparently it can pick up the 3 most highest breed levels that your dog's DNA has: https://www.easydna.ca/dna-my-dog-breed-test/  - we were told our little fur baby is Bichon x Maltese but I am positive she has Pit Bull somewhere because she's a fighter lol!

Hey I love Guinness too!  I bet we have the same Great Grandad :D

Let's hope they don't get the dogs DNA mixed up with he humans although some people say I resemble an Afghan hound.

• 3 months later...