JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

National organization asks county to remove Nativity scene

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1952 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

A national organization that promotes the separation of church and state has asked the county to remove the Nativity scene from the courthouse lawn.

In a letter mailed to Jackson County Commissioners, Freedom From Religion Foundation attorney Ryan D. Jayne wrote that a “concerned local citizen” contacted the organization and requested it look into whether the county could look into the matter.

The display at the courthouse features a lighted Mary and Joseph in a barn and a manger and has been displayed on the courthouse lawn, 111 S. Main St., Brownstown, for a number of years throughout the holiday season. It also includes wise men, animals and angels.

http://www.tribtown.com/2018/12/19/national-organization-asks-county-to-remove-nativity-scene/

This is a half hour from where I grew up in Indiana. 

Question: how is a nativity scene a violation of separation of church and state any more than appointing a judge who is a devout “Christian”? 

What I am asking is how is an inanimate nativity scene a violation, but a animate religious person not a violation? 

These atheists are trying to legislate religion out of the public square. This is not about fairness and impartiality in the law. 

I have never seen a nativity scene discriminate and favor one religion over another. I’ve seen religious PEOPLE do it all the time. 

Edited by Bob

I guess it could fall in the same category of the city and/or county using tax money paid by non-Christian tax payers to put up Christmas decorations on public utility poles ... funny, that has not yet become an issue like the nativity scene has - I have seen the nativity issue before - this year it is this one

Won't it be great when these silly issues are no longer a concern :thumbsup: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~