JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Major explosion rocks central Paris

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1919 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Wow...(hope our brothers and sisters are ok)

A powerful explosion ( The cause of the explosion is not yet known, however there are reports that it was due to a gas leak in a bakery. )  occurred in the central district of Paris on Saturday morning, police confirmed. There are no immediate reports of casualties so far.

The blast took place on the Rue de Trevise, causing fire and chaos on the adjacent streets, local witnesses and journalists report. Images showing the apparent aftermath of the explosion have been posted to Twitter.

https://www.rt.com/news/448641-france-paris-explosion-house/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

DwskKPIWkAArLiK.jpg

DwsjWyFUYAEcMc9.jpg

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

These gas explosions/leaks seem to be happening more and more, in this country as well. Wonder what's behind it. :confused:

Makes me want to switch to electric heat...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

AS I am a building inspector I have often thought of this - many materials are only made to last 50 to 100 years. What happens when they rust or decay from age? Well, this will start happening more and more I think. Few put much emphasis on maintenance any more.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

38 minutes ago, Dove said:

These gas explosions/leaks seem to be happening more and more, in this country as well. Wonder what's behind it. :confused:

It could be the age of the gas lines and the inability or refusal of authorities to replace them. Maybe?

Just read Jerry's comment - I concur!! LOL.

In our City - we are having a similar maintenance issue with the water pipes.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

3 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

It could be the age of the gas lines and the inability or refusal of authorities to replace them. Maybe?

Just read Jerry's comment - I concur!! LOL.

In our City - we are having a similar maintenance issue with the water pipes.

That seems to be the case with so many things now ...plumbing lines underground, bridges, seems like everything's gearing up to fall apart..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

1 hour ago, Dove said:

No gas furnace to blow up?...

2 hours ago, trottigy said:

AS I am a building inspector I have often thought of this - many materials are only made to last 50 to 100 years. What happens when they rust or decay from age? Well, this will start happening more and more I think. Few put much emphasis on maintenance any more.

That's why most plumbing is now pex, in homes anyway, don't know about buildings.

Plumbing is in PEX, but gas lines are still black pipe.

Something about how gas interacts at a molecular level with plastics.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Some years back there was a "famous" sandwich shop in NYC that was shut down because they found an illegal gas connection that allowed the business to use gas that was not metered. The current owner of the shop did not know anything about the illegal connection since it had, evidently, been installed over 40-50 years ago.

It was discovered because a nearby building had a fire that was traced to an illegal gas connection and the Fire Dept. and Gas Co. decided to do additional inspections.

Seems there were a lot of illegal gas connections installed 30-60 years ago that have gone undiscovered in NYC - and, since these are all illegal, they have never been inspected and most likely were not installed by a qualified gas technician.

How many other large cities have similar situations that are illegal, leaky gas connections just waiting for a spark to ignite them.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, trottigy said:

Plumbing is in PEX, but gas lines are still black pipe.

Something about how gas interacts at a molecular level with plastics.

I knew pex was for water only, this from doityourself.com " Types of pipe for gas - different types of pipe can be used as natural gas pipe. This is dependent on the building codes in your area. Steel and copper are the most common materials. Both PVC and polyethylene (PE) pipes can be used for pipes that are buried in the ground outside a building. You'll also find ductile iron pipes, yellow brass pipes, and aluminum pipes that can be used in different situations.  Approved flexible connectors are used for connecting gas lines to appliances." It's probably all about the cost and what the local codes allow and what they can safely  get away with in any part of the world!

Edited by Lee49

Wrong word