JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Brooklyn Jehovah's Witness Jumps to His Death :(

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4470 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Brooklyn man leaps 15 stories to his death

Text messages to his son indicated suicidal thoughts: cops

BY KERRY BURKE AND SARAH ARMAGHAN / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

A troubled man jumped to his death from a Brooklyn rooftop Wednesday in front of horrified bystanders below, police and witnesses said.

Neighbors identified the man as Dwayne Fagan, 48, a devout Jehovah’s Witness, who plunged 15 stories to his death.

Before his death, the suicidal man warned of hurting himself in a series of disturbing texts messages between him and a family member, a police source said.

Fagan left his seventh-floor apartment in the Linden Houses in East New York and headed toward the roof around 12:45 p.m., sources said.

A ledge above the the building’s entrance broke Fagan’s fall, before he tumbled to the ground, cops and witnesses said.

“I saw him land — it was so loud,” said eyewitness Antoinette George, 25, who lives in the same building on Wortman Ave. near Van Siclen Ave. “I thought someone had thrown an air conditioner off the roof. I screamed and screamed for a minute straight.”

“All his limbs were broken” the startled woman said. “He was lifeless.”

Article Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-man-leaps-15-stories-death-article-1.998012

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

:eek::cry: I can't imagine what he was thinking.

Obviously he wasn't - or at least wasn't thinking clearly. I can only imagine the pain his family is suffering right now.

This may even include Bethel family. Is the building he jumped from one of those where they house the Bethel volunteers?

EDIT: It would appear not. Wikipedia says the Linden Houses are public housing... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_New_York,_Brooklyn#Public_Housing_Projects

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Depression is something that most do not take seriously. Most in my family suffer very bad with it, I have it myself and sometimes it is uncontrollable. When it gets like that I pray non-stop to Jehovah for relief from this thorn in my side. One time I spoke with a brother about it and he told me to " Grow a set and stop crying about life". It was 20 years before I went back to speak with a elder about anything. People should not give this problem such minor thoughts, because it kills many people everyday. I feel for this brother it sounds like he was reaching out for help but like most they ignore it until the bad things happen. I pray for the family because they would be going through the "what should I have done" I really hope Jehovah helps them get through this.

So sad, he must have been in so much emotional and mental pain. Well, the good thing is, whatever judgement people may pronounce on him JEHOVAH could read his heart and what was deep inside him and knows how emotional and mental illness can twist reasonable thinking. Only he can make a proper judgement. So sad for his family, especially the one he was texting to. :nope:

Get more exercise....walk with Jehovah!

I heard this from a sister in Fairhope Alabama.

"This brother was a dear friend of a sister in my hall. He was a regular pioneer and had regular bouts of depression. It's very sad. They had a brother from Bethel come a give a talk to the congregation."

Such a sad story.. Depression is a serious matter, I'm so sorry to hear this happened. I'll keep the family in my prayers....

One thing I find frustrating is how it said " a devout Jehovahs witness", but if it was a "catholic, Baptist or Mormon." or whatever, they wouldn't probably mention a thing but because it was a JW, they mention that.. To give a negative light & fodder for jokes & trash talk about JW's. I guess there's not much we can do about those things, it's expected..But it always just bugs me...Anyways, Sad to hear ;(

One thing I find frustrating is how it said " a devout Jehovahs witness", but if it was a "catholic, Baptist or Mormon." or whatever, they wouldn't probably mention a thing but because it was a JW, they mention that.. To give a negative light & fodder for jokes & trash talk about JW's. I guess there's not much we can do about those things, it's expected..But it always just bugs me...Anyways, Sad to hear ;(

That is so true Lynnette....

Its a sad situation for everyone concerned, Jehovah will know what he was suffering mentally.... Just becasue we are witnesses doesn't make us immune from depression :(

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

Such a sad story.. Depression is a serious matter, I'm so sorry to hear this happened. I'll keep the family in my prayers....

I think the reason is with JW's we are well known as being a happy,Bible oriented people,it surprizes people to hear one of JW's has committed suicide.

it would be like saying "A policeman shot himself in Time Square today."

That happened when we were in NY for a visit,that is a surprize to people,they normally think a policeman wouldn't do that.It is very sad news to hear it has happened.

The same with it being one of Jehovah's Witnesses people don't expect that of us.And some would think"That is very sad,Jehovah's Witnesses are such nice people."Especially in Brooklyn where this happened ,they are very well known there.

Thats my opinion.Having come from the world I had this view of Jehovah's Witnesses after meeting them that they were God's people,it is hard to understand one of God's people killing themselves ...but then after becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses I realized depression is a problem for all peoples, races,and religions.

Afterall I have mental/emotional disorders myself .And many fellow witnesses have these illneses also.Outsiders sometimes view us as "the group "not as individuals.

When we stand back and see the big forest that is our organization ,it is so beautiful and nearly perfect but get up close and there are old trees,sick trees,broken trees, individual trees are not doing so great or looking so beautiful sometimes but we all make up the beautiful forest and will be perfect trees one day.

This brother was one of our very sick trees,Jehovah can bring him back happy and healthy again in the paradise.

Hi Nancy and all--when I was first baptized in LA it was on the news about a young boy( a witness child) who had been murdered and dismembered and left along side an interstate in CA. It really got to me and I cried and could not console myself. I knew that Jehovah does not step in on every situation and come to our rescue because we have to be able to serve Jehovah loyally no matter how monumental are problems and situations in life. We understand that Satan is on an all out attack and does not differentiate between ages. Even knowing that, it was still hard for me to understand. But I really started praying for Jehovah's help and stopped trying to console myself and I was able to get through it. I can easily see how his parents could turn if not rooted firmly in the turth. But his parents were interviewed and they said they did not want the attention and were relying on their faith and their congregation to see them through and please respect their privacy during this difficult time. When I saw that they were "handeling" it --it made me feel better and realize I could too. I had only been studying and baptized about 6-7 months total. So much heartache for all. I had to learn too that we were not immune from catastrophies.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

This is sad. I apreciated the article in the: *** w02 6/15 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers ***

"...Could it have been a spur-of-the-moment act? Some who attempt suicide feel regret and do not go through with it. A person cannot after death repent for what he has done.

Another important factor is that of mental and emotional disorders that are involved in many suicides. These can really be called suicide victims. According to some statistics, 90 percent of those who commit suicide have some kind of mental, emotional, or addictive problem. Will Jehovah forgive the self-murder committed by people in such a mental state? We are not in a position to judge whether the deceased committed an unforgivable sin in the eyes of Jehovah. A Christian minister may take into account the circumstances and medical history of the deceased when he considers whether to perform a funeral service for the suicide victim."

My father suffered from depression, a situation in our family added to this. But he would be fine one minute and then be in deep depression the next. He sometimes talked about suicide during these. One day I took my daughter to an eye DR because she was losing her focus, shifting in and out. I thought she may need glasses. After testing her he told me that his opinion was she was allergic to milk and to take her off all milk and milk products for one month and see what happens. He then told me how milk can make people feel and do things, besides physical problems. I told my dad about this and he said he ate cereal and milk every morning. So he decided to give it a try. His symptoms went away and he never had another set back. My daughters eyes also cleared up. I had a different view of suicide after that. Only Jehovah really knows what is happening inside a person and what struggles are going on. Some of them chemical that we can't control. If my father had followed through at one point in these cycles, how sad that would have been, but Jehovah would have known it wasn't my father but what had warped his brain, emotions and stability. How nice that Jehovah doesn't "condemn to hell" as some religions may teach. But will take care of the "brokenhearted".

I too had thoughts of suicide and was very depressed. I almost committed suicide but was saved by my daughter. It was the medication I was on and it was proved to be an accidental overdose. But I do feel for his family. As a Watchtower said he may have asked for forgiveness as he jumped. We cannot tell or judge.

Your first post! Welcome to the forum ---> :welcome:

I too had thoughts of suicide and was very depressed. I almost committed suicide but was saved by my daughter. It was the medication I was on and it was proved to be an accidental overdose. But I do feel for his family. As a Watchtower said he may have asked for forgiveness as he jumped. We cannot tell or judge.

With this topic in mind, the January magazines have some fantastic articles. In the January 1 Watchtower, there is Draw Close to God—"I, Jehovah Your God, Am Grasping Your Right Hand, and in the January Awake!, there is When You Feel Like Giving Up on Life.

I am glad you got the medication dosages worked out in time!

We had a local sister in our County that had problems and we heard she drove up I-26 into the Mountains and stopped in the middle of a high bridge, leaving the car door open, and just simply jumped off into the gorge. Other folks driving saw it happen! How awful that her depression problems finally led to such an end! Leaving her husband, the congregation, etc. I wonder what went through her mind as she was falling. So sad.

My own sister (who is a JW) was battling depression and was getting so bad off that she was suicidal, finally the doctor changed her medication and she realized it was the depression medication itself that was making her much worse and suicidal! She is so much better now! So I do think any one who is depressed and taking medication and it is not working, PLEASE tell the doctor and get a new prescription!

I can't imagine what he was thinking.

He was in extreme emotional pain. I had been suicidal for many years as a youth and after having my youngest child. The pain is exquisite and intense. It feels as if nothing can fix it. Unfortunately in the moment - not even Jehovah.

Sometimes, even if loved ones are trying to help, they cannot do so. Sometimes it is just the person overriding any help or good intentions on others part. So really in that case there is nothing they can do to help.

The one thing that helps us is that we know the truth about death. The person who kills themself with this knowledge is even better than one with no hope at all. At least they know they will not be in a fiery torture forever!

An elder once asked my therapist (a brother), "Who in their right mind would kill themself?" The brother told the elder to repeat what he just said slowly. He did and then said, "Ohhhhhh, right mind..... I get it."

I can't imagine what he was thinking.

He was in extreme emotional pain. I had been suicidal for many years as a youth and after having my youngest child. The pain is exquisite and intense. It feels as if nothing can fix it. Unfortunately in the moment - not even Jehovah.

Sometimes, even if loved ones are trying to help, they cannot do so. Sometimes it is just the person overriding any help or good intentions on others part. So really in that case there is nothing they can do to help.

The one thing that helps us is that we know the truth about death. The person who kills themself with this knowledge is even better than one with no hope at all. At least they know they will not be in a fiery torture forever!

An elder once asked my therapist (a brother), "Who in their right mind would kill themself?" The brother told the elder to repeat what he just said slowly. He did and then said, "Ohhhhhh, right mind..... I get it."

It is such a hopeless feeling at the end...like you said nothing can fix it.

I think about this poem alot of times,Frost said it wasn't about suicide but since I was a teen

and first read it that has been my view of it.And before I knew the Bible hope this poem comforted me.

Whose woods these are I think I know his house is in the village though

he will not see me stopping here to watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer to stop without a farmhouse near between

the woods and frozen lake the darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake to ask if there is some mistake the only other sounds the sweep

of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely dark and deep

but I have promises to keep

and miles to go before I sleep,miles to go before I sleep.

Sometimes death is so appealing...to die and not be tortured anymore...

day in day out....you look at the woods as a place where you could die, they are lovely, dark and

deep...filling up with beautiful snow and you

think "I could go lay down in there...and the snow would cover me up,I'd just go to sleep."

"The only other sounds the sweep of easy wind and downy flake"

....peace would be yours at last here,in these lovely isolated woods.Without a farmhouse near.

But there is someone who depends on you to get him home...your little horse shakes

his harness bells....

and then there are those promises you made to your God and family and all the obligations

involved....

so you can't go to sleep in death yet...you still have miles to go before you can sleep in peaceful death.

So you endure .

I think Frost still sounds somewhat hopeless in the end of it.

But we as Christians have a hope...the Kingdom and we know this life is not all there is and one day Jehovah will erase

all the tortures from our minds.

Then none of us will even stop and contemplate staying in some isolated dark woods on the darkest evening.Death.

Cindy, you made some good points..."Only Jehovah really knows what is happening inside a person and what struggles are going on. Some of them chemical that we can't control..."

When I read the news report about this poor brother and saw this terrible picture with it it was as if I saw myself lying there on the ground with a blanket covering my body. You see the brother was exactly my age (48 years) and I personally have been and sometimes still think of suicide.

However I recently discovered that most of the negative feelings came from dysfunctional kidneys. So you are right about certain chemical processes which can hinder us. I suffered from severe forms of depression for more than 18 years and suicide crossed my mind so many times. But I am grade full to Jehovah that I was able to keep a clear mind. However I also learned the hard way that Jehovah only rarely intervenes even if we pray so hard about a matter...in the end what counts is the sanctification of His name. Yes we all are valuable in Gods eyes but...

Does not Matthew 10:29 say:" Do not two sparrows sell for a coin of small value? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground without YOUR Father’s [knowledge]..Therefore have no fear: YOU are worth more than many sparrows."

It does not say that Jehovah will prevent us to die but it will not go unnoticed to Him.

I personally made a great mistake some 18 years ago when I suffered from an emotional and spiritual meltdown. I "died" spiritually as to the person I was back than and I started to blame Jehovah for not having answered my prayers. It triggered my emotional feelings of low self esteem and eventually effected my relationship with my Father so much that I wouldn't go to meetings any more without being emotionally being hurt as I was always confronted with examples of brothers and sisters who claimed to have been assisted by Jehovah God, but why was he not there for me? I isolated myself for more than 10 years until I was able to reach a peace of mind which enabled me to understand how Jehovah may work with us even though many time we are not aware of it. Since 2 years I started to associate with my congregation again and picked up my spiritual life again even though I felt I had to resort to "Fasting with prayer" so that I could fully understand what had happened in my life. It was soon after discover that I had kidney problems and that really helped me a lot to cope with my depressions. Like just two month ago my doctor told me that they also discovered a malignant tumor in both my kidneys.That came as a chock to my family but somehow it didn't rattle me. As a matter of fact I will have an operation (cryoablation) next week. Even though I am somewhat stressed about it I am glad that I have reestablished my relationship with my Father despite my chemical unbalance.

How refreshing the Watchtower study "Trust in Jehovah,the God of All Comfort” was...

As a matter of fact I will have an operation (cryoablation) next week. Even though I am somewhat stressed about it I am glad that I have reestablished my relationship with my Father despite my chemical unbalance.

How refreshing the Watchtower study "Trust in Jehovah,the God of All Comfort” was...

David, we are all struggling with this old system and some of us get hit harder than others at times....it looks like this may be your time.........

All of us are here for you, dear Brother, and all of us pray for your continued strength and success with this procedure....

With much Christian love, your Brother...........:sunshine:

Cindy, you made some good points..."Only Jehovah really knows what is happening inside a person and what struggles are going on. Some of them chemical that we can't control..."

When I read the news report about this poor brother and saw this terrible picture with it it was as if I saw myself lying there on the ground with a blanket covering my body. You see the brother was exactly my age (48 years) and I personally have been and sometimes still think of suicide.

However I recently discovered that most of the negative feelings came from dysfunctional kidneys. So you are right about certain chemical processes which can hinder us. I suffered from severe forms of depression for more than 18 years and suicide crossed my mind so many times. But I am grade full to Jehovah that I was able to keep a clear mind. However I also learned the hard way that Jehovah only rarely intervenes even if we pray so hard about a matter...in the end what counts is the sanctification of His name. Yes we all are valuable in Gods eyes but...

Does not Matthew 10:29 say:" Do not two sparrows sell for a coin of small value? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground without YOUR Father’s [knowledge]..Therefore have no fear: YOU are worth more than many sparrows."

It does not say that Jehovah will prevent us to die but it will not go unnoticed to Him.

I personally made a great mistake some 18 years ago when I suffered from an emotional and spiritual meltdown. I "died" spiritually as to the person I was back than and I started to blame Jehovah for not having answered my prayers. It triggered my emotional feelings of low self esteem and eventually effected my relationship with my Father so much that I wouldn't go to meetings any more without being emotionally being hurt as I was always confronted with examples of brothers and sisters who claimed to have been assisted by Jehovah God, but why was he not there for me? I isolated myself for more than 10 years until I was able to reach a peace of mind which enabled me to understand how Jehovah may work with us even though many time we are not aware of it. Since 2 years I started to associate with my congregation again and picked up my spiritual life again even though I felt I had to resort to "Fasting with prayer" so that I could fully understand what had happened in my life. It was soon after discover that I had kidney problems and that really helped me a lot to cope with my depressions. Like just two month ago my doctor told me that they also discovered a malignant tumor in both my kidneys.That came as a chock to my family but somehow it didn't rattle me. As a matter of fact I will have an operation (cryoablation) next week. Even though I am somewhat stressed about it I am glad that I have reestablished my relationship with my Father despite my chemical unbalance.

My prayers will be with you David.:kisscheek:

David,

I will be thinking about you and adding your name in my prayers to Jehovah. I am so glad you were able to make your way back to Jehovah and your family. Keep us posted as to your procedure and more importantly your emotional welfare. We are all here for you.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

David,

I am so glad they found what seems to be a problem and I pray that you will have successful surgery. We are all so imperfect and with so many problems, we really need God's Kingdom to straighten everything out!

Since my sister suffered with depression, I question myself to see if I do also, but thankfully, that is not one of my sufferings. I feel for you and hope that this surgery will make it better!

We had a local sister in our County that had problems and we heard she drove up I-26 into the Mountains and stopped in the middle of a high bridge, leaving the car door open, and just simply jumped off into the gorge. Other folks driving saw it happen! How awful that her depression problems finally led to such an end! Leaving her husband, the congregation, etc. I wonder what went through her mind as she was falling. So sad.

My own sister (who is a JW) was battling depression and was getting so bad off that she was suicidal, finally the doctor changed her medication and she realized it was the depression medication itself that was making her much worse and suicidal! She is so much better now! So I do think any one who is depressed and taking medication and it is not working, PLEASE tell the doctor and get a new prescription!

Yes Rosalie - suicidal thoughts is one of the side effects of depression medication (odd isn't it). I take depression medicine but have not experiened those thoughts. I did when I wasn't taking the meds though. We had a brother in our Hall that hung himself in his kids bedroom! Can u imagine them finding their daddy in that state when they came home from school? Why the little girls bedroom? But as was stated earlier, only Jehovah knew his thoughts.

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"