JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Free fallen into destruction

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1883 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This summit is big - the first time in history, unprecedented. It's all coming out now.  You can see this is all heading towards something significant.  Luke 8:17 "For there is nothing hidden that will not become manifest, nor anything carefully concealed that will never become known and not come out in the open."  The governments have to be seen to be acting against child abuse.

Rev 17:17 - who know, this could be what triggers it.  We watch and wait and rely on Jehovah to reveal all at the right time.

From the article:

So, why does the church still have a problem with clergy abusing children?

First, the Catholic Church, like other large institutions, has occasionally put its own interests above those of individual members. Around the world, cultures of abuse have flourished at public universities, in media companies and even in nongovernmental organizations, like the United Nations' peacekeepers.

Like secular institutions, only outside pressure from legal authorities or journalists forces those institutions to seek to end their scandals by becoming more transparent and accountable.

But the Catholic Church also has specific policies and attitudes that have exacerbated its clergy abuse problem, Nash argues. For one, its hierarchical structure, in which the people at the top are considered God's agents on earth, promotes a culture of obedience and even subservience to bishops and the Pope.

Secondly, the church's body of law, called canon law, has historically prioritized the good of the church at large, rather than individual victims. Mercy and forgiveness are often extended to the abuser, while justice and accountability are given less priority. The canonical system, Nash argues, "is almost entirely weighted in favor of the accused."

I have been wondering if this will have something to do with what's described at Zechariah 13:4-6

In that day each of the prophets will be ashamed of his vision when he prophesies; and they will not wear an official garment of hair+ in order to deceive. 5 And he will say, ‘I am no prophet. I am a man cultivating the soil, because a man bought me when I was young.’6 And if someone asks him, ‘What are these wounds between your shoulders?’* he will answer, ‘Wounds I received in the house of my friends.’”*

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/02/catholic-church-sex-abuse-scandal-pope-francis-weak-response/

RELIGION

The Roman Farce

By MICHAEL BRENDAN DOUGHERTY

February 22, 2019 12:15 PM

The Catholic Church’s sexual-abuse scandals, its inadequate response, and a salacious book all reveal a deep moral rot.

Pope Francis is conducting his extraordinary summit with cardinals on the problem of sexual abuse in the Church. And we can expect it will go nowhere.

The summit is happening in light of two events outside of it. The first was Pope Francis’s recent laicization of the former cardinal archbishop of Washington, D.C., Theodore McCarrick, a man who was notorious for his sexual abuse of seminarians and other priests, while at the same time he was the public-relations face of the Church’s response to sexual abuse and cover-up in the early 2000s. McCarrick was finally publicly exposed when an investigation into his abuse of a minor became public last year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk