JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Chair repair

I need some help. I am trying to patch chips on a laminated chair row end piece. I tried a wood filler and let it dry for a couple of days but it wipes off with a wet cloth. I need something that will match the color and survive being wiped down occasionally.  Any suggestions?

20190225_104534.thumb.jpg.d89ab60070a45b8fd033dbc159474992.jpg

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

11 minutes ago, Cherie said:

One of the Bondo products???

After the surface is satisfactory a good fo painter can match the wood and grain. Small areas are easy. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I'm hoping to use a product that doesn't need to be painted. I'm thinking of trying a solvent based wood filler, apparently the last one I tried was water soluble. 

BTW, there are a lot of pieces that are chipped...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

They will chip again.

Over here we have a 2 pack 'builders bog'. (Smells the same as the stuff you patch cars with.) Then you file it down n shape it.

The painter will need to match the paint (inc grain) with those special 'faux' clear lacquer with stain in it for the grain.... Not an easy solution. Very labour intensive. And only good till the next hard knock.

PS. Is that a 'laminex' type product over compressed particle board? (ie not solid wood...)

Just Older

10 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Is that a 'laminex' type product over compressed particle board? (ie not solid wood...)

Correct. We anticipate that it will be an ongoing process and it's purely cosmetic. I plan on getting a solvent based product and testing that on a few of the chairs. I estimate that I have over a 100 repairs to do and I've already done half of them with the other product. The current repairs will look fine until someone wipes down the chair row end caps, however I'm told that doesn't happen very often. I hope that I find the right product and when the repairs that I have already made get wiped away, I'll make a better repair.

6 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

Maybe this is the same...

I like the idea that it is waterproof but I don't want a two part product that needs to be painted. The product that I recently used matches the color (colour) of the wood.

seamfil has been used for a long time.

bondo-sand-seamfil

you could also just get another laminate installed over entire side.

bondo the damaged area

belt sand entire side

contact adhesive both sides

recommended dry time

have some sticks if needed, apply the laminate

roller

router the edge's and/or file the edges

7 hours ago, vern said:

seamfil has been used for a long time.

bondo-sand-seamfil

you could also just get another laminate installed over entire side.

bondo the damaged area

belt sand entire side

contact adhesive both sides

recommended dry time

have some sticks if needed, apply the laminate

roller

router the edge's and/or file the edges

Thanks, however that isn't feasible for now. There are probably over 100 chairs that need to be repaired and i don't want to mix a two part epoxy for every chair. The chairs have to be disassembled to remove the end cap and there are not any spare caps available so all repairs are in place. 

I tried the solvent based filler but I can't get a smooth finish without sanding and I don't want to sand the laminate and ruin the finish. 

My current plan is to continue to use the water based wood filler. Then I can either paint the repair to waterproof it or just replace the repair if it gets washed off...