JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution" - by Michael J. Behe

From within the highest ranks of the scientific community comes a startling new theory of creation that not only contradicts Darwinian orthodoxy but opens the door to theological arguments biologists have dismissed and ridiculed for more than a century.

A book my brother in law recently shared with me, and it's one of the best scientific books you'll ever read on debunking evolution. It goes on to describe just how undeniable "intelligent design" is to the most detailed degree, as well as the flaws in evolution's framework, alongside the bias of the scientific community in how evolution is more of a "religion" in the science field than people realise.

A few of the points written I actually even wrote about and thought myself, so it was also refreshing/validating for me to see a fully qualified professor with a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, echo almost the exact the same lines of thought and reasonings that I did!

https://www.amazon.com/Darwins-Black-Box-Biochemical-Challenge/dp/0743290313

28 minutes ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

Hi Matthew,

As you read the book, can you share with us some of the valuable points you find? I would really appreciate anything you can share, Thanks :)

I can cover a couple of points we talked about that were in the book.

For example one part it describes how cells act to heal wounds. It's like a complex machine, where several protines and such are needed, and it goes back and forth, certain pieces are cut in half, and then it brings in another piece to work with it, and so forth, like a delicate building project that looks like something "intelligent" was behind this structure. And all parts are needed, you can't have any one of these pieces missing,or the rest doesn't work. (More on that later). The body doesn't just crudely "pull itself together", to say such after reading just how the body works in this book, is an insult to the sheer "design" behind how our bodies work. To say there is no intelligence behind it, you'd have to be simple, or ignorant. (It reminded me of Paul saying "every house is constructed" and how people were "without excuse".)

Another point was that, each structure down to the molecule level, has to be "fully complete" to even function, and as such evolution falls apart because each one of these cells cannot form through gradual proccesses, it makes no sense that they'd come about one by one to then build on each other as evolution tries to teach.

Without one part, the entire machine does not work, and keeping in mind.. evolution is "not intelligent", it has no plans. So something cannot even evolve without intelligence in the way things are structured, since a lone "part" on its own is dead, and has no purpose at all, not even a group of parts when but a single one missing, it becomes a dead machine with no purpose, so how would the "mindless evolutionary proccess know in advance" that it needs x or y for this complicated machine to work?  And this goes down to the most simplest atoms.

To get where we are now, even if it was an evolutionary proccess, would require "planning", blueprints which is a form of intelligent imput. For an example, if you take a PC, it is nothing without a screen monitor, but at the same time the screen monitor is nothing without the PC, each part has no purpose alone, but they have to come together, which took planning of an intelligent mind for such a design. You wouldn't make a PC monitor if the PC didn't exist would you? And you wouldnt build a modern PC if there were no such thing as monitors. Each invention would be 100% useless. Cells are exactly the same, but far, far more complicated than any man made structure we have today. There is no point for things to evolve "individually" when each individual part is "inherently reliant on another part already existing" to work along with it as a system.

These are just some of the parts of the book, I've not read the whole thing, but have skimmed, read some of these parts, and discussed with my brother in law over the topics covered in there, and it's very indepth.

Edited by EccentricM

I'm not reading now, as it's at my brother in laws, I'd likely do better with an audio book, as I really struggle with my attention span with long books, even if I enjoy them. 

But can expand here with my own understanding of some of the points he rasied on systems and structures.

To further explain.

Not one of the systems in the body, or "any creation" for that matter, are "primative", meaning each and every part of us, every molecule, cannot function independently, and have never been able to, so life starting from just a single protine evolving into complex structures, would not have happened, it would not have developed into these complex systems unless there was a "plan", as these systems require all the parts to be made for them "simultaneously" to even work and survive.

You could make each part at a time, if you were a builder of course, but evolution is not intelligent, and yet the "foundational parts" of these structures are reliant on the latter parts, but the latter parts are in turn reliant on the foundational parts... so science is telling us, "any" one part alone if not on some planning table with an external intelligent hand, would never have been able to get off the ground, as each part alone would be dead. Like a cog in a watch, it needs other cogs and parts to then be a watch, but if a cog was made on its own, it would be useless, unless... there was a "plan" by someone to make other cogs and parts to then make the watch. Otherwise, a random cog being made out of thin air, with no "concious intelligence" would be meaningless and utterly dead.

5 hours ago, EccentricM said:

Another point was that, each structure down to the molecule level, has to be "fully complete" to even function, and as such evolution falls apart because each one of these cells cannot form through gradual proccesses, it makes no sense that they'd come about one by one to then build on each other as evolution tries to teach.

Gooooood point! :thumbsup:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)