JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Banana Bread

I just popped this in the oven to bake! I have tried many banana bread recipes, Martha Stewart's is by far, my favorite one!

The batter for this easy-to-bake banana bread is enriched with the addition of sour cream.

Martha Stewart Living, August 2004 Yield Makes 1 loaf

Add to Shopping List

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan

1 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup mashed very ripe bananas

1/2 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts, and pour into prepared pan.

Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.

Variations

To make the cream cheese frosting-filled banana bread as featured on "The Martha Stewart Show," in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together 6 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract until smooth. Once bread is baked and cooled, halve horizontally. Using an offset spatula, spread cream cheese frosting evenly over bottom half. Top with remaining half; slice and serve

This variation is good, but adding a 1/2 C of powder sugar to it and using it as a spread instead of putting it in the middle, is even better! But, my preference is just a little bit of butter, while still warm, and it soaks right in! Yum! Grab your favorite cup of coffee and enjoy!

Of course I do! I also don't put nuts in mine, Haleigh, my oldest, is allergic. :chef:

Frosted Banana Bars

1/2 cup butter,softened

2 cups sugar

3 eggs

1-1/2 cups mashed bananas(3 med.ones)

1 tsp.vanilla

Cream this together.Then add:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tsp baking soda

Dash of salt

Mix together and spread into a greased 15 by 10in pan.Bake 20 to 25 minuits at 350*

Cream Cheese Frosting

1- 8 oz pkg cream cheese,softened

1/2 cup butter,softened

4 cups powedered sugar

2 tsp vanilla

Cream together and frost cooled banana bars.Makes 36 bars.

Did you know you can bake brownies in the microwave? Yes, you can also make chocolate cake. I would like to try the banana bread in the microwave, but Im afraid it wont brown nice. That's the good thing about making something chocolate, you don't need it to brown.

Did you know you can bake brownies in the microwave? Yes, you can also make chocolate cake. I would like to try the banana bread in the microwave, but Im afraid it wont brown nice. That's the good thing about making something chocolate, you don't need it to brown.

You could always make a little light frosting for the top.Cinnamon frosting is great for banana bread.

I have made lots of things in the microwave also...I even baked a 20 lbs turkey in

it once.When we didn't have a stove.

I was a Pampered Chef Consultant for about 5 years! I can make lots of things in the microwave! Pork loin - 11 minutes. Corn on the Cob - 3 minutes. Chocolate Molten Lava Cake - 9 - 11 minutes! Micro-wave fudge! Chicken Tortilla Soup, Baked Potato Chowder! Whole Baking Chicken - 29 - 35 minutes! Sloppy Joes, Tacos, Beef Stroganoff (except the noodles) and of course Rice - 22 minutes (not instant, and never sticky)!

We have a whole line of Micro-wave tools.. I use my Rice Cooker Plus all the time, my micro-cooker and my deep covered baker! I can cook 4 chicken breasts in about 6 minutes, juicy, tender and not rubbery and then make that into chicken salad, or use it on garden salad or buffalo chicken dip... the ideas are endless! If you haven't looked into Pampered Chef tools, you should! They are truly fantastic! I might sell again some day!

the ideas are endless! If you haven't looked into Pampered Chef tools, you should! They are truly fantastic! I might sell again some day!

I am going to have to delete this post, and make sure Denise NEVER sees it....we already have every implement for cooking that mankind has ever devised-----

me?....a knife and 6inch skillet, I'm good to go.....:cowboy:

I've cooked steaks off a piece of flat steel clamped to the back of my service truck, heated with an acetylene torch, 10 miles from anywhere recognizable...........

I was a Pampered Chef Consultant for about 5 years! I can make lots of things in the microwave! Pork loin - 11 minutes. Corn on the Cob - 3 minutes. Chocolate Molten Lava Cake - 9 - 11 minutes! Micro-wave fudge! Chicken Tortilla Soup, Baked Potato Chowder! Whole Baking Chicken - 29 - 35 minutes! Sloppy Joes, Tacos, Beef Stroganoff (except the noodles) and of course Rice - 22 minutes (not instant, and never sticky)!

We have a whole line of Micro-wave tools.. I use my Rice Cooker Plus all the time, my micro-cooker and my deep covered baker! I can cook 4 chicken breasts in about 6 minutes, juicy, tender and not rubbery and then make that into chicken salad, or use it on garden salad or buffalo chicken dip... the ideas are endless! If you haven't looked into Pampered Chef tools, you should! They are truly fantastic! I might sell again some day!

I am a believer in Pampered Chef...had many Pampered Chef parties at my house!

Once I had a Pampered Chef ice cream social...that was great!

Do you have a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup?

A few years ago in Colorado Springs we ordered Chicken Tortilla Soup from Cracker Barrel and I have never had such wonderful soup.

So I have tried many recipes for it but haven't found the right one yet.

I am a believer in Pampered Chef...had many Pampered Chef parties at my house!

Once I had a Pampered Chef ice cream social...that was great!

Do you have a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup?

A few years ago in Colorado Springs we ordered Chicken Tortilla Soup from Cracker Barrel and I have never had such wonderful soup.

So I have tried many recipes for it but haven't found the right one yet.

Yes! and it is soooooo yummy, you actually add crushed tortilla chips to it and it comes out more like a chowder..... I will dig it up and post it later on, after I get home from work!

No, it doesn't brown. Just frost it or make a glaze, using melted butter, instead of water and add a little vanilla, pour over your cake. You can also make a Lava Cake. You use a micro-wave safe bundt pan, mine is Pampered Chef Stoneware. Mix a cake mix according to directions, oil pan, pour cake mix in, then take about 5 mounded scoops of your favorite frosting, plop them in the middle of the circle of batter, spaced semi-evenly, and microwave for about 9 - 11 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes and turn out onto a cake platter, or dish... the frosting will flow down your cake! My fave flavor for this is chocolate cake, chocolate frosting.

Hi Holly,

I've got it baking right now...have about 15 more minutes to go...Think I'll forgo the cream cheese frosting though...as good as it sounds..Need to skip those calories...I may just spread a little 'Smart Balance' on it though...

I just popped this in the oven to bake! I have tried many banana bread recipes, Martha Stewart's is by far, my favorite one!

The batter for this easy-to-bake banana bread is enriched with the addition of sour cream.

Martha Stewart Living, August 2004 Yield Makes 1 loaf

Add to Shopping List

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature, plus more for pan

1 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 1/2 cups unbleached flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup mashed very ripe bananas

1/2 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts, and pour into prepared pan.

Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.

Variations

To make the cream cheese frosting-filled banana bread as featured on "The Martha Stewart Show," in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together 6 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract until smooth. Once bread is baked and cooled, halve horizontally. Using an offset spatula, spread cream cheese frosting evenly over bottom half. Top with remaining half; slice and serve

This variation is good, but adding a 1/2 C of powder sugar to it and using it as a spread instead of putting it in the middle, is even better! But, my preference is just a little bit of butter, while still warm, and it soaks right in! Yum! Grab your favorite cup of coffee and enjoy!

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

Glad you enjoyed it! I never make the cream cheese frosting either! I just had my last piece for dinner with a cup of coffee. I love how easy it is and that it does not come out gummy!

I might try the cinnamon next time. I also like a dash of nutmeg! I made a big pot of Chicken Noodle soup last night, my whole family is getting over colds and coughs.... ugh. Anyways, I like a dash of nutmeg in my chicken soup too! Gives it a nice, slightly different flavor flare!

Yes, it was absolutely yummy...even after I dropped it as I was taking it out of the oven..talk about being a clutz (that would be me!)...it actually fell out of the pan (guess I used enough butter for the pan..)...and onto the door of the oven--glad it was open, or Musky would've had to eat it off the floor! JK..:shutup:

But I digress...I'll try some nutmeg next time too...

Hope your fam feels better soon...Chicken soup works wonders!

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D