JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Battery failing on iPad

I have a 128 gig, (I think) iPad. I’m barely using half of it, but the battery is failing. I did buy a charger because of the assembly yesterday. It worked beautifully. And, well it should have, for the price I paid. Anywaaaay...

I had talked to my cell call carrier. My brilliant thought was, “okay, they put a new battery in my iPhone , why not my iPad?” They said it could be done, but pricy. How pricy I ask. $300. Or so. I say, for a new iPad, that’s not bad. 

Then I share my brilliant plans with my husband. Um, he grounded me, and I became not so brilliant. 

He checked prices for a new mini, same size as mine. Around $500. Soooo, 

Now, my concern is having to start over with my JW.org, and, the last time I switched iPads, I lost all my notes and recordings In Notability. Is that my fate? 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Just now, Thesauron said:

Make sure to back up everything you use, such as the notes.

Okay, I sort of think the iPad does its own thing. Such as back ups. How do I make sure it has not let me down. Or, I failed in this procedure? Oh, and,, thanks😊

iTunes. Last time I lost talks that were keepers. On Notability. I sort of think it was the losses on notability that made my heart sink.  

4 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

It works if you back it up to iCloud as well. Just remember your login details.

Making me nervous.😬😬😬

2 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

I have a 128 gig, (I think) iPad. I’m barely using half of it, but the battery is failing. I did buy a charger because of the assembly yesterday. It worked beautifully. And, well it should have, for the price I paid. Anywaaaay...

I had talked to my cell call carrier. My brilliant thought was, “okay, they put a new battery in my iPhone , why not my iPad?” They said it could be done, but pricy. How pricy I ask. $300. Or so. I say, for a new iPad, that’s not bad. 

Then I share my brilliant plans with my husband. Um, he grounded me, and I became not so brilliant. 

He checked prices for a new mini, same size as mine. Around $500. Soooo, 

Now, my concern is having to start over with my JW.org, and, the last time I switched iPads, I lost all my notes and recordings In Notability. Is that my fate? 

Apple's official price for a battery replacement is around $99.00 plus 6.95 for handling There should be several shops in Eureka or Redding that could install a new battery

Good read:

https://www.lifewire.com/replacing-dead-ipad-battery-1999813

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Okay, I’m rightfully embarrassed. And, I apologize. I asked you dear ones to do the research I should have done. I will study this matter, and, yes, there is an Apple store in Arcata. The nearest population center that has choices, as far as stores are concerned. 

I will get my iPhone all current so I can use it at the meeting, and in service. 

(With summer, and the sun, I get out my paper bible to use in the service, but have a devise ready for videos. (Which I am trying to remind myself to use!) 

4 hours ago, Miss Bea said:

Okay, I’m rightfully embarrassed. And, I apologize. I asked you dear ones to do the research I should have done. I will study this matter, and, yes, there is an Apple store in Arcata. The nearest population center that has choices, as far as stores are concerned. 

I will get my iPhone all current so I can use it at the meeting, and in service. 

(With summer, and the sun, I get out my paper bible to use in the service, but have a devise ready for videos. (Which I am trying to remind myself to use!) 

I got a great deal at Best Buy for all of our Ipads.  If not mistaken, I think the last mini I bought was around 250.00.  I don't know about back ups so I can't help you there.  I do know that the places that replace screens on Ipads and phones usually replace the batteries as well, but I am not sure of the costs.  Bea I must have gotten it on sale.  I just looked at prices and was a little shocked at how much they are right now.  Sorry I couldn't help more.

Here you go Bea, it would be cheaper to buy an Ipad 32 GB for 250.00  I don't know if I can attach the link but I am going to try.  I hope it doesnt go against the rules.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-ipad-latest-model-with-wi-fi-32gb-silver/5201500.p?skuId=5201500

Edited by Jeanie

found item

I know. That is what I was trying to avoid. That price. But, I will talk to the Apple store tomorrow. These things have become so important to us. When it dawned on me I have an issue, it was not only the ability to take notes, but my bible, too. And songbook. 

My husband got me the first one as a gift. 

The rest is history!

Thanks again. You all have been a wonderful help, as usual. 

Bea,  check your setting first, under "Display & Brightness: make sure your auto-lock is not set for "15 minutes or Never" this will drain your battery very quickly, try to set it for 2 minutes.

You will also see in setting as you scroll down "Battery" touch on it and you will see "battery usage by app" you will see which app is using more of your battery.

When you use your device to access data, a Wi-Fi connection use less power than cellular network, so keep Wi-Fi on at all times. To turn on WI-FI, go to settings> Wi-fi to access a Wi-Fi network . In settings check "Privacy > location services, in location services yoou can see each app listed with its permission setting you can turn them to "never or while using" this will save your battery life as well.

I hope this help you before you spend any money.

Android devices are a lot cheaper.  I sold a new 32 Gb ipad mini 2 for $250 Canadian a couple of years ago ( part of a bank promo ).

They retailed for $310 Cdn at Wallymart at the time.

Tab A 8" current US ad

image.thumb.png.fc52939e19a1fa1e86e4532b4324e4f2.png

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I like the idea of Android devices. I have owned two Samsung phones. The first would not hold charge over 4 hours, my wifes iphone was good all day. The second was good for 12 hours or more, what it lacked was compatability with all the iphones the rest of the family used. I bought a Samsung tablet and it wasn't even close to the funtionalityof my ipad gen 2. I now have an ipad and an iphone which makes me compatable with almost all my circle of friends and family.

Would I go Android again? Yes if the manufactures such as Samsung would reduce the garbage there phones are loaded with and IF they lived up to their promises. I Have a late model Samsung that is free to anyone that requests

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Another word of advice. Choose same type for phone and tablets. IPhone and IPod Or Android phone and tablet.

Much less learning curve, plus only need to buy 1 app for similar devices.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: