JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Language Abbreviations

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1690 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Dear Friends,

I wondered if anyone knows where to find what the language abbreviations in the back of our literature stand for?  I know in our old little booklet Good News For All People, the languages and their abbreviations are at the bottom of each page. But that was back when we had a lot fewer languages. 

If anyone has access to that information, would appreciate it!

17 minutes ago, YukitoMatsuzuki said:

I think they may be coded as in ISO 639-1.

This is true of the languages on the site. For example, jw.org/en for English, /es for Spanish, /ro for Romanian, and so on.

But the abbreviations in our publications are different. English is E, Spanish is S, Romanian is M. (For example, w-E is The Watchtower in English)

In the days when we had a list of publications it included the abbreviations for languages, but now I have no idea where that can be checked.

Hello, if it helps you I made a list of all the languages of the site jw.org and others with the names of the original languages, the iso codes and their abbreviations of the site jw.org.

here is the link

Edited by Jonathan Martins

2 hours ago, carlos said:

This is true of the languages on the site. For example, jw.org/en for English, /es for Spanish, /ro for Romanian, and so on.

But the abbreviations in our publications are different. English is E, Spanish is S, Romanian is M. (For example, w-E is The Watchtower in English)

In the days when we had a list of publications it included the abbreviations for languages, but now I have no idea where that can be checked.

I see. I had a hunch that it was different because I knew the Japanese publication code is J not Ja. So I was going back and forth if I should post it. I didn't notice the English one.

1 hour ago, Jonathan Martins said:

Hello, if it helps you I made a list of all the languages of the site jw.org and others with the names of the original languages, the iso codes and their abbreviations of the site jw.org.

Thanks, Jonathan. That is a huge work!