JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Getting married

in 17 days I will be on the plane

my trip out takes 21h 35 minute including layovers

March 25th I get to say I do with the woman that I admire most

My return will be 107 days from today

The return trip is 35hours 18 minutes long including a 17 hour layover in Japan

what will I do for 17 hours in Japan? can i even leave the terminal?

in 17 days I will be on the plane

my trip out takes 21h 35 minute including layovers

March 25th I get to say I do with the woman that I admire most

My return will be 107 days from today

The return trip is 35hours 18 minutes long including a 17 hour layover in Japan

what will I do for 17 hours in Japan? can i even leave the terminal?

Congratulations!!!! That is wonderful news!!!!!!

As to leaving the terminal, I have done it before, not on international flights though, just US Continental flights. If you do leave the terminal, you have to go through security again. On an international flight, that may be an issue, so make sure you check before you do it!

AVA I think I can leave for say 7 -12 hours look around and have a bit of picture taking ops

Trogitty , its all greek to me lol

I would think you would be able too. I fly standby as my husband works for an airline, and there have been times we got stuck somewhere for a while, and we left the airport. But as I said, I have only done that in the US. I would think it would be ok for an international flight, but I would check to be safe!

AVA I think I can leave for say 7 -12 hours look around and have a bit of picture taking ops

I was going to say - great time to practice, but if you don't know it. Bring some audio (MP3) training ;-)

You won't get a better chance at having that many native speakers around that want to help.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I would think you would be able too. I fly standby as my husband works for an airline, and there have been times we got stuck somewhere for a while, and we left the airport. But as I said, I have only done that in the US. I would think it would be ok for an international flight, but I would check to be safe!

Will do AVA

I have been to Japan and I can tell you the biggest issue for you will be language and costs. Unless one of you speaks the language its difficult to communicate with cab drivers. The costs are high and the airport is far from the city in Tokyo. You know what I would do if I was you that I did. Is to go to Japan Disney. Its fun easy to go to and from and inexpensive if you go by subway. Yes! I would leave luggage at the airport (you check it in) and off to Disney.

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember these:

Konnichiwa (hello) and

watashi wa eigo dake o hanashimasu" which is litterally "I only speak english" or you could say "watashi wa nihongo wa hanashimasen" "I don't speak Japanese"

and do a lot of shrugging LOL:perplexed:

英語しか話せません。

Eigo shika hanasemasen.

I speak only English.

Literally: I can't speak except for English.

英語しかわかりません。

Eigo shika wakarimasen.

I understand only English.

Literally: I don't understand except for English.

Is there anybody here who can speak English? Koko ni eigo o hanaseru hito wa imasu ka?

http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/toilet.htm is a good site as well as

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese_Phrasebook/Greetings_and_farewell

For more insight into Japanese logic, I truly recommend you http://www.engrish.com although not every picture on there is from Japan ;)

Omniglot which Sis. Verity-Mai linked to is indeed a very good site. If I need to find how to say thanks and/or hello in some language I usually go there first.

Waiting for another flight can be pain, yeah... 17 hours, uhuhuh :o

But I'm kind of jealous...with all that's so very cool with Nippon, such as their public transportation system. Once I actually ordered a T-shirt from the site mentioned above which features a train map of central Tokyo >:D< (a bit like this: http://www.urbanrail.net/as/jp/tokyo/tokyo-metro-map.htm). Ooohh, and every train station has their own jingle (

or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RgI5x6fStY)...but then there's also that huge amount of people everywhere... (
)

Btw, Br. Sam, hope you don't mind me asking but how do you communicate with your (soon-to-be-?)wife, in English? Or have you perhaps learnt Tagalog, Bicol, Cebuano, Hiligaynon or which ever Filipino language she might speak? :)

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

10 days left to go before the wedding....im getting soooooooo excited and a tad nervous, i think my brother is betting on if i barf or not before the wedding.

Here in the Philippines we are required to attend a "seminar" before being allowed to marry........lol