JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Illustration needed

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1593 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hello Brothers and Sisters,

I am new to JWTalk and I received the honor to give my first public talk and I really need some help to find a fitting illustration for us to not focus on imperfections of brothers or difficulties that arise through different cultures we’ll meet.

That’s a topic I want to explain more closely as it is a very important topic here in my congregation.

Maybe Someone can help me with that. Thank you in advance!

Brotherly Love

Lukas

I am working on a talk outline and one of the points is about looking at imperfection in the organization. 

I decided to use two images. The first image is a man with a large ink stain on his dress shirt. The second image is a large crowd of international delegates posing for a picture. Are we looking at the people or looking for the ink stain...?

Welcome to the forum!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I thought about this illustration:

Our brothers are like beautiful diamonds. But when we look it under the microscope, we only see lines, cracks and stains. We must not focus on details. When we step back, we see the whole and get the detached view. Then we will see the whole personality of our brothers and not just their mistakes.

An illustration that has been used many times is a beautiful forest.  It looks beautiful from a distance but it's made of damaged and ugly trees.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, schliggi said:

I am new to JWTalk and I received the honor to give my first public talk and I really need some help to find a fitting illustration for us to not focus on imperfections of brothers or difficulties that arise through different cultures we’ll meet.

Hi Lukas,

Glad you joined us here on JWtalk, welcome. :)

As for an illustration, maybe this could work:

The CEO of a major company invites 1 of his loyal managers to go with him to the company car lot and says, 

"All of these cars are very expensive, they are not brand new or perfect, but each of these runs very well and all of them have special features, and you can choose any of these cars anytime for company and personal use!"

So the manager says, "Wow, thank you so much, this is wonderful! I can't believe I get to drive any of these $100,000 cars!"

The manager is very excited, until he decides to go inspecting each car with a magnifying glass. And so he starts noticing that some cars have a few, very small "dime" sized dents on the trunk, so he doesn't want those ones. He then sees that other cars have windshield wipers that are a little worn and so he doesn't want any of those cars. After closely inspecting all these very expensive company cars, he tells the CEO,

"Thanks but not thanks, I don't want any of these, there are just too many imperfections with these cars". :o 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

There's this: (I found on a previous thread that others had posted)

The other illustration I really love is the one comparing members of the various congregations

to tools in a carpenter's toolbox.  Some are blunt, some are cutting, some are grating, some are

forceful, some are loud and some are quiet, but the Carpenter(Jesus) has a need and a use for

all of his 'tools'.  No 'tool' is greater, or lesser, than another. The hammer is useless without 

the nail and the nail is useless without the hammer. When used together, all the tools will get the job done/the Good News preached.

The Carpenter's Tools 

Brother Hammer served as the chairman. The other members of the tool belt informed him that he must leave, because he was too noisy. But brother Hammer said, "If I have to leave this carpenter's shop, then brother Gimlet must go too. He's insignificant and makes a very small impression." (A gimlet is a small tool with a screw point, grooved shank, and a cross handle for boring holes). 

Little brother Gimlet arose and said, "All right, but brother Screwdriver must go also. You have to turn him around and around to get anywhere with him." 

Brother Screwdriver turned to the other tools in the belt and said, "If you wish, I will go, but brother Plane must leave too. All of his work is on the surface; there's no depth to what he does." 

To this brother Plane leveled his terse reply, "Well, then, brother Saw will have to depart too. The changes he proposes always cut too deep." 

Brother Saw complained, saying, "Brother Ruler will have to withdraw if I leave, for he's always measuring other folks as though he were the only one who is right." 

Brother Ruler then surveyed the group and said, "Brother Sandpaper doesn't belong here either. He's rougher than he ought to be, and is always rubbing people the wrong way." 

In the midst of the discussion, the Carpenter of Nazareth walked in. He had come to perform his day's work. He put on His tool belt and went to the workbench to make a pulpit. He employed the ruler, the saw, the plane, the hammer, the gimlet, the screwdriver, the sandpaper, and all the other tools. When the day's work was over, the pulpit was finished, and the carpenter went home. All the accusations against each of these tools were absolutely true, yet the carpenter used every one of them. No matter which tool He use, no other tool could have done the work better. 

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

15 hours ago, schliggi said:

Hello Brothers and Sisters,

That’s a topic I want to explain more closely as it is a very important topic here in my congregation.

Maybe Someone can help me with that. Thank you in advance!

Brotherly Love

Lukas

Apply Yourself to Reading and Teaching Video Study 9 Appropriate Use of Visual Aids. Illustration of the geo.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-study-february-2020/pursue-peace-fighting-envy/

Our heart is like soil, and our good qualities are like beautiful flowers. But envy is like a poisonous weed. Envy can choke the development of good qualities, such as love, compassion, and kindness (See paragraph 7)

How can we fight weedlike envy? With the help of God’s holy spirit, we can uproot envy and replace it with humility and contentment (See paragraphs 8-9)

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)