JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Microsoft Edge App Removal

Hello, I am having a fit with this program. It is on Internet Explorer, and I do not use them as my browser.  I cannot seem to get rid of this ugly program.  It has taken over my document files.  It was not like this last week.  My printer is off line, because it does not recognize the program that has taken over.  I have been under my computer C system and did WIndows, to SystemApps, to the Microsoft Edge, to uninstall it and it will not uninstall!  HELP, please!!!

Lisa, Microsoft Edge is part of Windows 10, I don't think there's any easy way to uninstall it.

I think what has happened is that somehow your documents have been associated with Edge, but that's wrong because Edge cannot open them. What documents are they? Word documents? Excel? Acrobat PDF?

If this is the problem, this is how you can fix it:

- Right-click one of those documents and choose "Open With".

- Be sure to mark the little box that says "Always use this app to open this kind of files", then select the proper program (Word, Excel, Acrobat, whatever you used) and accept.

From now on when you click on one of those documents it will open with the right app.

Also, if you use another browser for the Internet - go to the settings in that browser and make sure it is set as your "Default Browser" - this will make sure Edge is not used to open websites unless yo specifically want it to.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 hours ago, carlos said:

Lisa, Microsoft Edge is part of Windows 10, I don't think there's any easy way to uninstall it.

I think what has happened is that somehow your documents have been associated with Edge, but that's wrong because Edge cannot open them. What documents are they? Word documents? Excel? Acrobat PDF?

If this is the problem, this is how you can fix it:

- Right-click one of those documents and choose "Open With".

- Be sure to mark the little box that says "Always use this app to open this kind of files", then select the proper program (Word, Excel, Acrobat, whatever you used) and accept.

From now on when you click on one of those documents it will open with the right app.

Thank You Carlos, my browser is firefox/mozilla.  The browser is fine, the Microsoft Edge has taken over my Files only.  It's no where else. 

Files are PDF adobe. 

Files for PDF can be open in the browser if you have that setting on. I have mine sometimes open in my Chrome, and sometimes open in the adobe program. Not sure where, but I think it’s in default settings for apps in windows settings to set the association for which program defaults to open your files. 

I just use crtl-p to print from the browser if the PDF loads there instead of the program. Hope it’s easy for you to fix. 

Since you know the file type - the easiest way to reset the app that opens then is:

• Open File Explorer
  • Locate ant .PDF file and right click on it
  • Find the "Open With" option and hold the mouse over it (it should give a list of app that can open that file type)
  • Select the "Choose another app" option (it may be the last selection in the list
  • Make sure the "Always use this app to open" box
  • Select the app you want to open your .PDF files from the list

That should reset the default file app and you don't have to wade through the "Windows Settings" to find this option

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Technically, you can uninstall Edge through 3rd party tools, but it will likely cause 'system instability'. This type of situation may keep happening regardless with Windows updates. I would recommend using a dedicated PDF viewer to associate with these files. I like Sumatra, it's super lightweight/minimalist (only about 5MB). You can download it with no hassle via https://ninite.com/ It has a setting in the options menu to make it your default PDF reader.