JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcasting App - Apple TV - Streaming Issues

Hi, is anyone else having streaming issues with the JWB app on Apple TV? I have a 50Meg line and have no issues streaming anything else at Full HD, but JWB, for the last few months continuously stops and buffers and it’s only 720p...

5 hours ago, zauser said:

Hi, is anyone else having streaming issues with the JWB app on Apple TV? I have a 50Meg line and have no issues streaming anything else at Full HD, but JWB, for the last few months continuously stops and buffers and it’s only 720p...

Does this problem occur only on the Broadcast release day (first Monday of the month) or do all videos buffer at any time you play them (on any other day)?

• 1 year later...

Hey I was searching for the exact problem. And I found this thread. 

I also have the problem of video buffering and stopping. At any time of the day and any day of the month. But only in the JWB App with Apple TV. 

streaming in browser/iPad/iPhone or Android TV is no problem at all. 
just Apple TV issue. 

This problem lasted through all tvOS updates. I also tried uninstall the app, restart the device and install JWB App again. No success so far. 

I will try to reset the AppleTV completely. 

On 3/28/2021 at 10:31 PM, schluden said:

Hey I was searching for the exact problem. And I found this thread. 

I also have the problem of video buffering and stopping. At any time of the day and any day of the month. But only in the JWB App with Apple TV. 

streaming in browser/iPad/iPhone or Android TV is no problem at all. 
just Apple TV issue. 

This problem lasted through all tvOS updates. I also tried uninstall the app, restart the device and install JWB App again. No success so far. 

I will try to reset the AppleTV completely. 

So it’s not just me! How did the reset go?

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

I’ve had stuttering video too but my internet is only a 5Mbps, one tenth as fast as yours. So I assumed that was the reason...

Still, I had success by changing the settings inside the JWB app to a lower video quality. 

I’ve increased my line speed to 100megs since I first posted this, and no effect... I must admit I don’t want to watch lower res on a tv screen... guess I have to continue downloading on my iPad then air playing back to the Apple TV...

3 hours ago, zauser said:

I’ve increased my line speed to 100megs since I first posted this, and no effect... I must admit I don’t want to watch lower res on a tv screen... guess I have to continue downloading on my iPad then air playing back to the Apple TV...

This many have no bearing on the problem, but having lived in a rural area for decades, I never streamed the videos.  I always downloaded them and played the file from a USB flash drive on my TV (still do even though I am in town now)

I had a satellite dish that was 25 MBPS.  I could not watch any videos.  I had to watch that spinning circle constantly.  The video might play for 5 seconds and then quit for 30 seconds. With all the breaks, it was impossible to keep up with anything.  I have a Samsung smart TV and could not watch any of the Samsung+ programming.

When another company came into the area (using photo-optics), I switched immediately.  I started out with the slowest speed, which was 250 MBPS, but had the option of going to 500 MBps or 1000 MBPS.  I tested what the new system would do.  I have 40 Youtube videos all running at the same time, and I can still watch any program on Samsung+ or any videos on JWB without any problem.

You can check the actual speed of your internet with most companies.  Most (if not all) have the ability to show you the actual speed.  If the speed is too slow, then the company is supposed to do something about it.  If they advertise 100 MBPS, you will often get 10-20 MBPS actual speed.

Think about it.  You are paying for a service. If they are not delivering their advertised speeds, they are responsible to get you the service you pay for.

2 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

I had a satellite dish that was 25 MBPS.  I could not watch any videos.  I had to watch that spinning circle constantly.  The video might play for 5 seconds and then quit for 30 seconds. With all the breaks, it was impossible to keep up with anything.  I have a Samsung smart TV and could not watch any of the Samsung+ programming.

When another company came into the area (using photo-optics), I switched immediately.  I started out with the slowest speed, which was 250 MBPS, but had the option of going to 500 MBps or 1000 MBPS.  I tested what the new system would do.  I have 40 Youtube videos all running at the same time, and I can still watch any program on Samsung+ or any videos on JWB without any problem.

You can check the actual speed of your internet with most companies.  Most (if not all) have the ability to show you the actual speed.  If the speed is too slow, then the company is supposed to do something about it.  If they advertise 100 MBPS, you will often get 10-20 MBPS actual speed.

Think about it.  You are paying for a service. If they are not delivering their advertised speeds, they are responsible to get you the service you pay for.

Thanks, these are fibre line speeds I’m referring to here (I’m assuming that what’s referred to as “photo-optics” in your country?). So 100 Megs means that’s the download speed (confirmed by speedtest.net). As mentioned earlier, everything else works perfectly fine (no problem / no buffering). The only app with an issue is the JWB app on Apple TV...

2 minutes ago, zauser said:

Thanks, these are fibre line speeds I’m referring to here (I’m assuming that what’s referred to as “photo-optics” in your country?). So 100 Megs means that’s the download speed (confirmed by speedtest.net). As mentioned earlier, everything else works perfectly fine (no problem / no buffering). The only app with an issue is the JWB app on Apple TV...

I meant to say "fiber optics," but I had a 10 things going on at once and wasn't thinking clearly.  

11 hours ago, jwhess said:

This many have no bearing on the problem, but having lived in a rural area for decades, I never streamed the videos.  I always downloaded them and played the file from a USB flash drive on my TV (still do even though I am in town now)

This streaming issue sounds similar to my problem we discussed a week or so ago…..( streaming to iPad Pro )

Edited by Susan Cook

• 3 months later...

We have this same issue! But also it cuts off the first words of each sentence the brothers are speaking. It’s really frustrating and totally takes away from the program. We have a gen 3 Apple TV and fiber internet 250 mbps (which often hovers around 180 mbps). Have tried everything mentioned above (deleting app and reinstalling, rebooting Apple TV unit, turning off WiFi on all other devices) with no success. Nothing else we stream does this. And now with the convention program, it’s doubly disappointing. 😞 has anyone found a solution?