JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom and JW Library issues

Just to echo what Floyd has said above, if something else has used the second screen, even just moving a tiny corner of another window onto it, will make the second screen lose it focus on Jw app.

Ofton if you go to the jw app program icon on the task bar on your main screen and hover your mouse over it, a miniture version of the 2 open windows will flick up. Just click on the image that should be on the second screen to restore it. If rat doesn't do it then restart jw app.

( sorry for a non technical explanation there)

As an aside, on the PCs we use at the convention we ran a small piece of code which helped prevent that, although I can't remember what it was right now! It locked the second display to jw app. And prevented an accidental slip of a window removing focus.

If the application is open.....move it to the window/monitor you want

then Windows Key + Shift+Enter will cause it to open in that window from now on

otherwise look at Ultramon

or Windows powertoys 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2020 at 9:25 AM, Floyd said:

Let me add this after looking at your original post again. If you have used something else that uses the second monitor while JW Library is open then yes sometimes you have to restart JWL. That is a common problem especially when using VLC. It happens at the Kingdom Hall all the time when we have pictures or video that's not in JWL But that has nothing to do with Zoom.

Also its best to share a screen instead of an app. I say this because my wife has been using Zoom for years for LDC VSG meetings and is pretty much an expert in Zoom.

There shouldn't be any kind of "tug of war" if JWL is the only app using the second screen. If something else uses the second screen at any time after JWL is opened then all bets are off.

Its not as random as you might think. I do computer diagnostics for a living. The problems are almost never random. Somebody is always doing something that causes it. 

Since we were in lockdown I practiced every possible scenario I could think of for a couple of days before we had our first Zoom meeting. It is a lot to think about. Practice constantly and you will figure out the pattern. 

I understand totally. Problem is trying to figure what the "something" is that I must be doing. I too am a tech with diagnostic experience. But when the meeting is going on, diagnostics should not be happening. I have to use OnlyM because JWL just loses sound. If I open it, and it's been open for a while, it malfunctions every time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still having an issue with JWL playing on ZOOM. I have to stop it and restart it for it to play at times, and that's embarrassing as well as it is distracting the meeting. Sometimes, it will start and play the lyrics, but have no sound. And the ZOOM settings, in screen share are set to play computer audio. If I have JWL open for any length of time, 10, 20 minutes, it bombs out. If I restart it, just before I'm to play it, sometimes it will work. So, I have been using OnlyM, and it works every time. But I'd like to use JWL because that's what the Branch wants us to use.

On 6/24/2020 at 10:36 AM, BillyR said:

I understand totally. Problem is trying to figure what the "something" is that I must be doing. I too am a tech with diagnostic experience. But when the meeting is going on, diagnostics should not be happening. I have to use OnlyM because JWL just loses sound. If I open it, and it's been open for a while, it malfunctions every time.

Let me say this: I used JWL strictly at the beginning of our ZOOM experience. OnlyM wasn't even on my computer. I went to OnlyM when JWL malfunctioned several times. The brothers were expecting my system to fail and there would be the host, with another co-host, on standby. The times they had to take over, JWL failed them too. When I got it to work was when I shut it down and restarted it. And the thing about the monitor, I use three monitors. JWL has it's own monitor, and OnlyM has another. They never conflict. JWL just malfunctions at the most inopportune times. I have to have OnlyM loaded and ready to go. No choice. Any help?

Our congregation has a host and usually 3 cohosts fo every meeting.  We have about 10 brothers who rotate duties.  They have different equipment (laptops, desktop PCs).  The equipment varies from older to brand new. Some have two monitors and some have 3. They are all in different locations (town, rural) and a various Internet speeds from 10 Mbps to over 200.  The only problems we experience is bandwidth on slower systems causing video slow-downs, lower resolutions or frame drops.  they are minor.

We use JWL exclusively (even though we have and have used Only M when we were KH Conf users before the pandemic).

On 7/17/2020 at 1:54 PM, BillyR said:

Sometimes, it will start and play the lyrics, but have no sound.

JWL does weird things from time to time. For me, it would sometimes crash at startup. I don't believe I'm familiar with that sound issue. I only know the temporary fix, restarting JWL (which you are familiar with). I've tried finding permanent fixes in the past but haven't really found any (Reinstalling JWL). From what you said, this is an issue with other JWL users as well. An update might come out eventually to fix this.

I was worried that some of the above problems others have had with their systems may affect me.

I hoped it wouldn't. I applied my available updates and everything went fine with me hosting today's abbreviated wt study before family convention viewing.

Thank Jehovah.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I did find that JWL can lose sound under certain circumstances. I remember I did find what it was and could repeat it and therefore avoid it. I don't remember what it was. But it didn't happen during a meeting and has not ever. So I think whatever it was its not something I normally do during a meeting. 

My point in this is that I think its related to something you are doing. Its just a matter of figuring out the pattern. If I experience it again I will post it.

We have several different people assigned the media in our Hall. They do not all have the same Internet provider and not all use the same type of computer (laptop, PC). They do all use Windows (they do not try to use a Mac even though one of them is an "Apple Guy".

Other than some Internet bandwidth problems - none of them have had any problems with using JWL to show images, play music show videos or play readings from WOL. We not only have our Zoom meetings on Zoom - but we are also streaming the meeting to KHConf for those that need to connect by Roku or phone.

In addition, my son-in-law is one of the media persons in his Hall. He has connected to my PC over Zoom to practice. He has used a Windows PC and a Chromebook to do this. He does not have "multiple screens" - only the screen on the device he is using. The only problem he has found is that the Chromebook is a little odd at how it handles putting the JWL in the background and it requires a few more steps to start the screen share and then play the music. But neither has ever not played the audio as long as he made sure the "play sound" box was checked before he started the share.

I do not think the problem you are experiencing is a bug in JWL as much as some setting and/or incompatibility with your computer setup.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Our Meeting today is late to start, because our Zoom Organizational Account can't use personal Meeting ID to start which is we use the same Meeting ID and password every Meeting. Now we use new Meeting ID every Meeting. Do you have the same problem like this?

• 2 years later...

I cannot tell if this has been fixed here. 

We start the A/V PC. There are 3 monitors. The main monitor (number 2) is for the booth. Monitors 1 and 3 are duplicated. When we have JW Library up we see the text on the Duplicated monitors.

We join the meeting with Zoom. The booth is made co-host. When playing the song, the duplicated monitors play the video. When we click on Zoom to share it, the video disappears, we share the screen, then hover the mouse over the JW icon in the taskbar and click on the second display and it comes up. When we stop the share it stays up and the text shows but if we click on ANYTHING with Zoom, Chat, participants, camera, the screen goes blank and we have to hover over the JW icon in the task bar to bring it back up

This is a common event and there are probably dozens of reasons why.  Floyd's suggestion is a good one, although it's probably ok as long as zoom never leaves what in your configuration is monitor #2.  I can reproduce this problem if at any time any zoom window touches what would be the non-primary windows monitor.

Keep the operator windows on one screen, the one marked in windows as "primary",  Put the taskbar there and no where else.

JW Library will then use the "next" monitor for the text and videos.  I haven't tried duplicating that monitor with a TV, but in theory if the above is respected it should work.  However dont let anything zoom touch that monitor, not the participants list, not the breakout room list, not the chat, not the sharing bar that appears when you share.  If anything zoom touches that window it's highly likely that what you are describing will happen.

I'm sure there are other scenarios that can cause what you are describing, but I am able to reproduce your problem 100% if I move any zoom window, even 1 pixel too far.  It requires a restart of zoom and jw library to fix (in fact iirc it requires a computer restart)

Its ok for the second Zoom window to be on the TVs. That is a must when participants are doing their parts from Zoom. We have only had your problem 2 times since April and we have Zoom participants on the TV weekly. But what Peter says sounds reasonable.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:23 AM, Portsmouth said:

Hello, has anyone noticed the following when running JW Library with Zoom:

When sharing the screen (images and video) from JW Library, the 2nd monitor randomly fails to display.

Shutting down JW Library and re-opening fixes it for a time, but then it randomly fails to show the pic or video again.

Rinse and repeat..

On the launch bar on the bottom if you click on the jw app icon then click on the second display you want to see it should come back up. 

also I have noticed if I open jw library first and zoom second I have less problems than if zoom is open first. Any time I put something other than jw library on the second screen I have to go back and click on the yearly text again to have it show up

E1B04F77-7ED9-4E5E-B3DC-1570F0002AB3.jpeg