JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Let’s talk music

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1250 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

6 hours ago, Alikay said:

Looking for friends who play the bass.

I play bass. I can't slap yet though. 

I have a 5-string (Ibanez SR-505) which is what I have been learning on. I recently picked up a Fender accoustic. Good sound organically but the pickup doesn't catch the high string very well.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

11 minutes ago, BrotherJay said:

What is this slap thing in bass?

It's a technique, where you literally slap your hand on the bass to make a certain sound on the strings. The slap method for the electric bass was actually invented by a brother in the organisation, Larry Graham, back in the 70s (who was responsible for teaching Prince and bringing him into the truth). But the technique is globally practiced now by most bassists.

Edited by EccentricM

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I agree!  

I love their 'Strawberry Letter 23' ! :D 

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I agree!  

I love their 'Strawberry Letter 23' ! :D 

They had some good songs. Today music has become junk. I love the older music. I stop keeping up on music about 35 years ago.

5 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

They had some good songs. Today music has become junk. I love the older music. I stop keeping up on music about 35 years ago.

Mainstream music for sure. It's why I don't search the charts, I look for music based upon "genre", and I find so many things I love, in the same style that you'd "think" it was from over 30 years ago. It's just not promoted to the masses is all.

Edited by EccentricM

• 5 months later...

I used to play 4-string electric bass in the orchestra back in the 1970's - did not play slap or even pluck style, I used a pick.

I no longer have a bass - sold mine after the orchestra was discontinued.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~