JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

A free zoom alternative, Discord added group video

Discord, more known to be mainly for group voice chat, now added group video to their group chats.

Not only is it free but you can
- open servers with multiple text and voice channels(now with vid),
- adjust everyone's individual volume,
- mute anyone you like without being a admin

The only downsides I can see is that it has a slightly higher learning-curve, the quality of video and voice needs more adjustments. It doesn't filter out noise as well.

Google Meet, Microsoft Team, Discord, all much better viable alternative to Zoom.

Except Skype.

3 hours ago, ProcrastLife said:

mute anyone you like without being a admin

I am not quite sure why the feature to mute anyone would be needed in a congregation meeting though. (Not saying Discord would be bad for this usage. I am a frequent user, ofc.)

33 minutes ago, Hinata said:

Google Meet, Microsoft Team, Discord, all much better viable alternative to Zoom.

Except Skype.

I am not quite sure why the feature to mute anyone would be needed in a congregation meeting though. (Not saying Discord would be bad for this usage. I am a frequent user, ofc.)

Zoom is made for conference and does it very well. Stable and all. For community and hangouts, discord is better in so many ways imo. 

4 minutes ago, ProcrastLife said:

Zoom is made for conference and does it very well. Stable and all. For community and hangouts, discord is better in so many ways imo. 

If that’s what you mean, then I agree. I use Discord daily and it feels much more light than Zoom.

But then again, I don’t use any kinds of video chat in Discord, whereas my primary usage for Zoom is the theocratic meeting itself. So I may be biased on that.