JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

use cell phone as web cam

Just resurrected a couple of old cell phones - the one is a US model that even the company change frequency type - thus will use it as a web cam for my computer ( refused to spend $$$$ on a good camera with mic ).

Downloaded droidcam by dev47apps.com  client for computer and user for android phones. Works and is Free -unless you like spending money.

My other phone is my old Samsung S4 -i337m. After some trial and trial and error error I got it updated to nightly build of Lineage 17.1 ( android 10 ) with pico ( very small number apps ) open gapps.

Some things that didn't work - kept crashing on android 9  -work fine on A10.

My main cell contract is up in 6 weeks and rates have gone up and that is bring your own.  Am looking at cheaper plans from several providers - I can have 2 active phones for less than new BYOP rate - my current contract included a new phone and is $10 less than new rate without phone. 🤬

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Another option for using a phone for a web cam is - it is also free

https://iriun.com/

I have tried both and they both work. If I needed it, I'm not sure which one I would use - they each have their good points and their "peculiarities" 

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Just wish I could use it with android tv box I got recently for when my satellite contract is up which is in 3 weeks. Time to do another search 😁

5 hours ago, tuntun said:

you could try droid cam

see 1st post. Works for phone to pc not to android tv box. I could try browser droidcam webpage to phone - but may not work.

I've only been able to get droidcam working reliably.

Regarding cell plans, I use Mint Mobile. https://www.mintmobile.com/ $180/year (+$20 fees/taxes etc, roughly $16.6/mo) for unlimited calls, text and 3 GB of high speed data (technically unlimited, but don't expect to use Zoom/Youtube/etc for more than 3GB) Oh I see you're in Canada and that might not work. I'm sorry, eh.