JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Personal Study Ideas

On 2/23/2021 at 4:30 AM, ReadYourBible said:

So, I've always kind of been old school about study projects. Write them, or just read and make a few notes. But I found out about a free storyboard program called milanote, and wow. :D

Not sure where I heard about it, but its a cool little tool and I wanted to share it with you guys in case you wanted to storyboard any of your study projects.

This is one where I've kind of put down all the things I need to work at, focus on. It's kind of hodge podge, but I started with one focal piece and then it grew out from there. If I'm to do x, then y must happen kind of deal. 

I hope no one is weirded out by my using some of our publications pictures in my personal study project. This picture I've attached is the actual story board I created. ❤️ It's kind of what I started to do with my bible study project, where I looked at each scripture and then found references for it - but then the brothers brought out the study bible! :D They'd done the work for me!

study project 2.JPG

Love Old school study. The pictures bring home the meaning I feel especially when meditating/pondering 

Thanks for the tips

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I’ve struggled with personal study since I recently retired from work. Before I really had to buy out the time , getting up early in the morning, using breaks at work and so on. Now that I’ve got more time and I don’t have to be as disciplined as before I’ve slipped back with study. New study routine is what’s called for.

I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience?

1 hour ago, Rendrocxof said:

Now that I’ve got more time and I don’t have to be as disciplined as before I’ve slipped back with study. New study routine is what’s called for.

I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience?

Our MWM is on Monday night so I don't schedule anything else for Monday and I use that day to study for the meeting and to do personal study. 

If you are looking for ideas for personal study I have a suggestion. If you are an elder or ministerial servant and have access to the public talk outlines, pick an outline and develop it into a public talk. Even if you never give the talk, developing the outline focuses your research on a specific topic. Putting your research on paper as a talk helps you develop the skills to communicate what you have learned.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Or another suggestion is, you could look at the chapters for the weekly bible reading, and dig deeper on WOL each week, see what you can find. Bring it alive for yourself. 

I think the secret of a new routine after retirement is to choose a time of day that suits and make a point of sticking to it. It quickly gets cemented in as the new pattern then. And it's wonderful to not be time constrained now, have coffee ready or whatever floats your boat, do the little things that set the scene so to speak. That imprints on the brain that it's time for study, just as pre bedtime routines signal it's time to settle down.

And if some days you don't feel like studying, make sure you still do something at that time, listen to a morning worship talk for example, just something to keep that time firmly established.

Edited by Ludwika

46 minutes ago, Ludwika said:

Or another suggestion is, you could look at the chapters for the weekly bible reading, and dig deeper on WOL each week, see what you can find. Bring it alive for yourself. 

I think the secret of a new routine after retirement is to choose a time of day that suits and make a point of sticking to it. It quickly gets cemented in as the new pattern then. And it's wonderful to not be time constrained now, have coffee ready or whatever floats your boat, do the little things that set the scene so to speak. That imprints on the brain that it's time for study, just as pre bedtime routines signal it's time to settle down.

And if some days you don't feel like studying, make sure you still do something at that time, listen to a morning worship talk for example, just something to keep that time firmly established.

Sister, that is exactly what I do!  I am a morning person so it is at that time I do the above - regardless of just what I study or listen to.  Works for me.  I start going 'down hill' about 1400 so it's only 'words' after that time!  Love morning time to study.  

15 minutes ago, Good-O said:

Sister, that is exactly what I do!  I am a morning person so it is at that time I do the above - regardless of just what I study or listen to.  Works for me.  I start going 'down hill' about 1400 so it's only 'words' after that time!  Love morning time to study.  

Funny, I'm an evening person! And I don't have too much time in the day anyway. Plus by the afternoon, I need to recover from the morning out in the ministry, or I've got a study or a date on the cart, and there's always a few household chores, I'm sure I'm feeling much older these days! 😅

So for me I take things in better in the early evening. I'm mentally ready after dinner 🍽️😂

• 3 months later...
On 10/24/2020 at 11:03 PM, Darren G said:

My personal study idea was to write a timeline of every date i came across in our books etc into a chronology of time from Adam to modern day.

Lots of dates to come across no doubt but recently have not come across many new ones so started adding important dates in history from Jesus time until today including England specific dates of Kings etc since i didnt know many and that gave me a background to who was ruling when more modern events happened such as Tyndales translation etc

Writing the King of the north and south dates down really helped me see how wonderfully bible prophecy is always fulfilled !

Bible Timeline 2020.docx 131.81 kB · 163 downloads

thank you for sharing :)

I made a table of subjects for personal study... I managed to translate it now into English to post here. I'll also put the file in Word... if anyone wants to add something to the table, feel free. It will help me to get some additional ideas to study.

spacer.png

Assuntos para estudo - en.docx

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve used the transcripts for the morning worship videos, read their content and then looked at the article that the original MW comment was taken from. It’s a real blessing to see how the mature brothers apply the scriptural thoughts from the day’s text. Very faith strengthening!

For my next full Bible reading, I'm going to focus on "Jesus/Word/Michael" perspective as the story unfold. What he could/might have thought during Eden, Exodus, the kings, etc... and after his resurrection.

I believe this is going to be an interesting point to think about.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to share my little idea, that a brother I was working with recently, shared with me when we were discussing personal study ideas:

Go through the Insight on the Scriptures book and find the topics that are longer than one page and treat it like a WT article and make questions on each paragraph and then answer those questions.

I find it to be a very nifty idea and with the countless topics we could find and study, surely we will find a very interesting gem to find!

I will say on that note, perhaps a break or two every so often with that type of study regime would definitely be recommended as to not burn oneself out on that book!

On 3/4/2021 at 5:18 AM, retroHelen said:

Lindisfarne Gospels

The Lindisfarne Gospels has long been acclaimed as the most spectacular manuscript to survive from Anglo-Saxon England. It is a copy of the 4 Gospels.

Listen to an audio description of the Lindisfarne Gospels on the VocalEyes website.

The copying and decoration of the Lindisfarne Gospels represent a remarkable artistic achievement. The book includes five highly elaborate full-page carpet pages, so-called because of their resemblance to carpets from the eastern Mediterranean.

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2020 at 4:59 PM, New World Explorer said:

We could explore Bible characters in depth....dedicating fair amount of time to study each person......

We could divide our personal study into chapters ...like, chronology, younghood, family situation, devotion to Jehovah, personal challenges, outstanding aspects of personality worthy of imitation (or not) 

Daniel

Job

Salomon, ap Paul ....etc 

Also we could go through “less” known persons mentioned in Bible. 

And if someone want EXTRA hard challenge, then find answer to following question:

How many individuals in total are mentioned in the Bible? :whistling:
How many nations are mentioned in the Bible? 

I started that project over a year ago.    I'm still not finished.   

Know that Jehovah is God. He is the one who made us, and we belong to him.

Psalm 100:3